Opinions on Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom?

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by MrPoppa2, Oct 16, 2012.

1. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

Hi, I have a nearly newSquier CVC tele, and love it! But saw an add for the Squier VM Tele Custom, they are just nasty looking, with a CBS Strat neck, and dual humbuckers! They sell for $300.00 most of the time and look really nice.
    Mys question is...do any of you have one or ever played one? Just not sure about a humbucker Tele....I value forum member input! ....poppa

2. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member

Try it out and see what you think.... I had a dream one night a while back... I was playing a pine bodied Tele.. had a humbucker at the neck!!

You may ( or may not ) want to read up on the pickups... I don't think the Squiers have a true Wide Range pickup like the old Fenders of the 70s... more like a conventional humbucker. That may not be a bad thing !!

3. oldmanpoop

oldmanpoop Strat-Talker

The custom II is pretty badass. I upgraded the pots and caps for a friend and the Duncan designed pickups were pretty damn good. Quality neck, full size body. I'm a big fan. Looking to get one cheap at some point.

4. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Strat-O-Master

Squier recently released new models. Are you looking at this one?
    Vintage Modified Telecaster® Deluxe by Squier® Guitars

I think that's the only model using the CBS headstock. I was interested in it because of the 12" radius FB. I previously owned a Squire VM Tele Custom II with P90s, but I wasn't mad about the 7.25" radius FB and chunky neck profile.

5. JayJ

JayJ Senior Stratmaster

I have the uptown version, the '72 Deluxe Reissue. I was going to buy the one you were interested in, but luck befell onto me. I absolutely love this one, and the 12" radius is sah-WEET for slide playing, but not so noticeable any other time. The humbuckers have a very sweet bite to them also, sounds like nothing you have heard of.

My review of the Fender '72 Deluxe Reissue on Musicians Friend:

6. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

Yes, that is the Tele Model I was refering to, they look super, and as read, sound great, but not really a Tele sound, just a great look for having 2 humbuckers! ..poppa

7. The Shedder

The Shedder Senior Stratmaster

I have a Custom 2 with the P90's. I love that guitar. Very versitile...especially mid position, with blending the two pups.
    Sounds fantastic, clean or driven.
    A valuable member in my collection.

8. KRamone27

KRamone27 Strat-Talker

I own a squier vm tele deluxe in oly white and I can't say enough good things about it. It came with the typical bad setup outta the box but I got it dialed in quickly how I wanted it. The wrhbs' are not the same ones used on the 72' deluxe re-issue, they are made by B&G pickup company in Korea but still sound great and not muddy at all. One thing I did notice is that the body is a little thicker than my vm tele custom HH and a little heavier.