Opinions on the Fender Super Champ XD

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by SnoMan97, Feb 26, 2021.

1. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 Strat-Talk Member

There’s one for sale locally at $175. Is is a good practice/bedroom option or should I look at something else like the Boss Katana 50 MKII?

StummerJoe and amstratnut like this.
  2. l88vette

l88vette Strat-O-Master

IMG_5108.JPG Both are good amps. $175 is a good deal on a Super Champ XD but they were replaced by the X2 10 years ago. You can buy a new Boss Katana for $230. The Boss has a 12" speaker where the XD has a 10" speaker. The Super Champ has tubes and does a great job of nailing the Fender clean tone. The Boss sounds great too but if you're looking for the Fender blackface tone you won't get it from the Boss. If the Super Champ is in good shape you can't go wrong. I have an XD and X2 and think they are a great little amp. Either one will make a nice practice amp.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  3. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

^This right here.

If you want Fender tone, the XD is pretty close to a BF/SF Princeton tone on Channel 1, but not flabby in the low end when cranked, like a Princeton can be. Most of the Fender and Vox voices are good. The other high gain voices are OK simulations, but a 10" combo can't sound like a 100 Watt stack. The XD tends to be reliable. The DSP board fails on a few of them and that's the end of the amp. An advantage over the Katana is that you can roll tubes in the Fender.

The Boss Katana has a range of good tone. It's it's own kind of amp, doesn't model other amps, and is versatile. It sounds a little bigger than the Fender.; I've never heard of failures or reliability problems.

Get yourself to a Guitar Center and play through a Boss Katana 50 and a Fender Super Champ X2. The latter is an XD with an added USB interface and the default voices are slightly different. Make a choice.

4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

We have one of each. Katana is a great clean platform. I found it a bit more fussy to dial in the distortion side. I found the boost to be so loud it was unuseable. Footswitching the Katana (footswitch not included) was counterintuitive to me. Take my observations with a grain of salt.

The scxd has been part of the family for 10 years. Ive gigged with it plenty. (Miced) It sounds pretty good. The clean is ok. Not fantastic but decent. The low gain lead channels are really really great.

Simplicity of use is where XD shines.

Im able to plug and play with very little fuss. The reverb is meh but even though fenders are noted for reverb, a little goes a long way anyway.

Id jump on the XD for 175. But the Katana has more bells and whistles if you have more patience than I do to dial them in.

Supposedly you can deep dive the Katana with a computer. I have never done this.

5. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Senior Stratmaster

I've had one for about 7 years now. Bought it used in like-new condition for $200. It's a great, all around grab and go amp. Usable effects if you want to leave the pedals at home. Loud enough to play with a drummer. The stock speaker didn't have much clean headroom, so I replaced it with an Eminence Legend 1058 and it was a huge improvement. I've probably put a thousand hours on mine and it's still going strong. Play along with a friend who has a Blues Jr. and it sounds just as good as his amp, maybe better.

Only thing I don't like about it, and the same is true with the Katana, is that when it dies you chuck it out like a DVD player. Not worth fixing. But hey, you're only looking at $175.

StummerJoe and SnoMan97 like this.
  6. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

I have a Vibro champ xd , a similar smaller amp. It’s very good, when in doubt go with tubes.

StummerJoe and Caddy like this.
  7. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

A friend of mine has the champ xd.
    He records a ton with it and it always sounded great.
    I have played through the katana a few times now, and I liked it.
    Both good choices, but for me personally, I think I would pick the champ.

8. CandyAppleHead

CandyAppleHead Strat-O-Master

The SCXD is a lovely amp. I've had one for over ten years, gigged with it with no problems. Channel 1 is nice and clean, gets a bit drivey when cranked if you want. On Channel 2 the Marshall Plexi setting is nice whilst the tweed models are even better - voice 1 (I think) has a very compressed sound whilst voice 3 gets really meaty and dirty, like Neil Young's tone.

It's also very quiet so ideal for recording or just playing at home.

StummerJoe and Stratafied like this.
  9. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I've never actually owned a SuperChamp but I've played them many times. Excellent tones clean and dirty and it sounds good at bedroom volume. Katana is of course always going to be on my list of amps I recommend because the value for money is outstanding, but at that price I wouldn't hesitate to get the SC.

StummerJoe and Stratafied like this.
  10. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

For $175 I would jump on it for sure. Great little amp. Great description above. Nails the Fender Blackface clean tones. The dirty tones are good too if you crank it up and get the 6V6 tubes running hot. If you do get it, make sure to check the bias on the tubes, they came set cold from the factory. Makes a noticeable difference when cranked.

11. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

I bought mine to record direct. Here is a video I did going right into the board, no mic.

12. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Right you are. I usually run 45-50 mV at the test point when using NOS 6V6-GT or JJ 6V6S tubes. That test point is the sum of the voltages for both tubes.

StummerJoe and Tele56 like this.
  13. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talker

I've had one for over 10 years, it's a great little amp. I put a Weber sig 10 in it and it was fine for practice with a moderately loud drummer. The clean channel is where I use it most, takes pedals really well, and a number of the channel 2 settings are very usable -- 2, 8, 12 off the top of my head are a few that I tend to use. For 175 (or try to get it to 150 would be even better), it's a great practice amp even stock. In fact, for solo practice the models maybe sound even better with the stock speaker. At that price, I would get another one (or X2) all day over the katana.

StummerJoe, Tele56 and archetype like this.
  14. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

It took me a little while to figure out how to get good tones out of many of the "models". The gain knob is extremely important. I can get an impressive Bluesbreaker tone with my LP on 8 (or 9, can't remember), but the gain knob has to be set low and the volume has to be cranked up.

Fun little amp to discover over time because it feels organic like a tube amp does. SS amps often sound the same no matter what you do with them... the XD / X2 behaves more like a tube amp.

15. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

I run the SCXD at home and love it. I got it used in Cherry shape for 2 bills. I set it up high on a shipping trunk. I don't see the XDs on Craigs much like the XD2s. When I do there never under 250. That tells me people hang on to them and if they do sell they want what there worth.

surfnturf, archetype and StummerJoe like this.
  16. Tele56

Tele56 Strat-Talker

The XD is a good 15 watt amp. Had mine for about ten years now. The only things I’ve done to it was a re-bias, new Weber speaker and some new tubes. Those three things made a good amp great.

17. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

Agree with much of what has already been said. Love my Super Champ Xd.

I did the typical speaker swap, tube change and rebias. Added a Beam Blocker to mine too. That little amp screams when cranked and still sounds great turned down.

Powerful, portable, affordable and sounds better than it really deserves to.

18. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Either buy it or give me the info. I've had an XD for I forget how long but it's been a long time! Bought it when they were new before the X2 came out and I've owned one of those too. I like the XD better. Great little amp and that is a VERY good price. Outstanding pedal platform and the models and effects aren't bad either.

SnoMan97 likes this.
  19. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Because it IS a tube amp that also does modeling.;)

20. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

I love the Katana series, but don't get the 50. Look at the 100 as a minimum, and factor in the cost of the GA-FC. That's the real entry point to get access to what the Katana does well... which is a lot of pretty good different amps and effects that can be readily accessed.