Opinions Wanted on Changing Vocal Effects processor

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
I had this since the late 90s.
5EA2990A-51D2-49FA-BF7F-08D38B7CDD63.jpeg CDF54E81-F3EF-4CC5-881C-AB208B6E883D.jpeg

For some reason I have never been able to get through the manual, and don’t understand any of the buttons. I just wanted something to help my voice sound more professional for singing. I found one setting that added a little reverb and maybe thickenedthe voice a little and just always kept it on that setting. It’s also kind of bulky and hard to find a place to set it down.
I recently got this.
BB8DC588-94DE-4648-97F6-2C6A0C4E6FE4.jpeg
It’s so much more intuitive and easy to use, and it sits right on the floor. It sounds good to me, but I’m not a tone connoisseur.

Would you say they pretty much serve the same purpose and generally do as well as each other, or is it a mistake to get rid of the Digitech. Do you think it’s worth trying to learn how to use it?
Thanks.

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
Yeah those rackmount units were a big deal in the 80s and 90s, not a lot of practical use for people like you and me for them, now.

Not saying it’s useless, but it’s a lot of work and bulk to do something that a tiny pedal or weightless program may do much better, now. A lot of mixers have effects built in, too.

Some people may collect or still love those though.

For recorded singing, there are thousands of free programs to optimize that. For live, a little delay or reverb will probably be all you’d ever need.

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah those rackmount units were a big deal in the 80s and 90s, not a lot of practical use for people like you and me for them, now.

Not saying it’s useless, but it’s a lot of work and bulk to do something that a tiny pedal or weightless program may do much better, now. A lot of mixers have effects built in, too.

For recorded singing, there are thousands of free programs to optimize that. For live, a little delay or reverb will probably be all you’d ever need.
People are listing the Digitech S100 on Reverb and eBay for about $120. I think I’ll try that.

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL

If you get a hundred bucks for it, it won’t owe you a thing.
Update: Last night, I stuck it on eBay for $140 + $15 shipping, and someone already bought it. I’m shipping it out today. Less clutter in my office and cash to go toward the Boss pedal (mental accounting).