Join Strat-Talk Today

Options around $100

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by ThatCoolBassist, Oct 27, 2018.

1. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist Strat-Talk Member

Not sure if this is the right discussion for this topic but I thought I’d give it a try. I’m in the market for an affordable amp I can double as a practice amp and a gigging amp for small venues. I usually borrow a professional set up when there are larger gigs but I’ve heard of people micing up their fender FM25s and doing just fine for small gigs so that’s got me interested to see what else is out there as far as a budget gigging amp. Cleans are far more important to me then gain, I run my pre sets through my multi effects pedal.
    What’s out there for around $100?

2. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

you might find a used monoprice 15 watt tube amp for that. lots of folks around here like them.
    other than than, i dont know.
    $100 doesnt go very far when amps are concerned.
    if you are using a multi fx, then maybe a used powered speaker?

Morf2540 and JustABluesGuy like this.
  3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah, I think you should bulk up your budget a little. Around 200-300 opens alot more doors

4. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

Used Peavey Bandits or Specials can be had for that price.

RJ Squirrel, jvin248 and jrbirdman like this.
  5. ThatCoolBassist

I’m thinking more on the used market with the 100 dollar price

Bob the builder likes this.
  6. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

what multi fx unit do you have?

7. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

RegularJim is on the right track - used Peavey, it's good stuff.
    They take a pounding and keep kickin' out the tunes.

8. ThatCoolBassist

I use a digitech bp200 for most my playing. It’s actually a bass unit. If I need more gain I kick on my mad professor.

heltershelton likes this.
  9. ThatCoolBassist

This is the first time I’m hearing about monoprice. I’ll have to check them out, they seem to have a decent selection of low wattage tube and SS amps.

heltershelton likes this.
  10. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

8T_BoCO likes this.
  11. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

I dont know where you shop, but I ve never seen a Bandit for $100. At least not in working condition.
    At that price, I'd buy one daily. :thumb:

@ThatCoolBassist - At the $120 mark, you can pick up a Fender Mustang I, under $100 used. A Mustang II for about $150 used.
    If you want tubes, a used Bugera V5 or maybe a Monoprice are about all you'll get.

There are some older solid state amps in the $100 range, but they're getting up there in age and reliability might be an issue when gigging.
    Other than that, your options are limited to older version of cheap modeler amps. Which in my opinion, are a waste of money.

nadzab likes this.
  12. Detector

Detector Strat-Talker

I've gotten a few decent amps for under $100 at garage sales.

Got a Crate 1512 for $50.
    Got a heck of a deal on a 2007 MIM mint condition Strat with cables and a gorilla amp for $50.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Look for the Peavey amps as well as Crate. The older Crate amps are sold off cheap like the Peaveys used to be but are often hidden gems. Until the Internet wakes up to them. I have a 65watt Crate and it does as well as my Bandit 65.

Key with any old amp is use the clean channel and feed your pedals to it to get your distortion/drive tones. That's where the old amps got their bad reputations is kids played them on distortion channels at 10s and didn't like the tones. Some amps have their tricks though.

I found the Line 6 Spider amps, if you can turn off the secret hidden controls, and reprogram the pre-sets, can be usable. I have a Spider 4 15W and it it sounds a lot better than a Mustang I recommended above and I tried the Internet recipes for the Mustang. I used to hate the Spider amps but once you reprogram them it's an easy practice amp (presets I have now are clean/overdrive/drippy surf/ACDC metal).

Though if you find a Bandit at a good price:

8T_BoCO likes this.
  14. Beargod

Beargod Strat-Talk Member

The Peavey Pacer is a bit of a sleeper. Luckily they are ugly and, like Mr Dangerfield, they get no respect I tell ya. So, you can get them for a steal used.

15. carver

carver Gone strangling Strat-Talk Supporter

id keep an eye out for either a modern Randall or an 80s era Marshall solid state.

super decent amps, that tend to not carry a high tag.

probably a little more than 100... but if you have 100 now. next week you could possibly have 200.. and so on.

16. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

17. jmartyg

jmartyg Strat-Talker

I'll add on that 70s Yamaha G series amps are in line with what you're looking for. The old first and second generation 50 and 100 watt models are incredibly loud, have a wide range of tonal control, are very very clean, and since they're not 'desired' they're also cheap. People call them a Poor Man's Twin, but I feel they're more in line with a Roland Jazz Chorus. I got a G fifty410 for about $140 and a G fifty112 for about $50, both Canadian dollars.

Second to that, like other comments, Peavey amps with 10 or 12" speakers. Red Stripe, Trans Tube, or whatever. They're solid amps. The Trans Tube ones, at least from my experience, sound a bit softer and dirtier on the attack to simulate a tube sound. To note: I have an Audition 110 and the Pre and Post controls on the dirt channel do affect the response in the clean channel. I usually had both maxed and it gave me a 'snappier' response when using dirt pedals, even though I always used the clean channel. That switch isn't 'true bypass'

18. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

19. Jason99

Jason99 Senior Stratmaster

20. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

That was just one example. I'm not saying there are thousands of perfect Bandits for $100 each, but they can be had regularly at around $100.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.