Orange Crush 20RT -- Larger equivalent?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Mind Flayer, May 21, 2018.

1. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-O-Master

I have a little Orange Crush 20RT solid state amp I use to practice on at home. This thing sounds killer, particularly with a strat and the gain around Noon or 1:00. It has this sort of sproingy quality (sorry, I can't think of a better word) that I haven't heard on other amps.

But, being a little solid state amp, it's not viable to gig or play with a band with this thing. If I wanted to get the identical sound in a bigger amp that could be used at band practices/gigs, what would you recommend? Not necessarily limited to tube amps -- I'm open to solid states too.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Orange 35RT - 35 watts, 10" speaker....it's the largest you can get without going up to the much more expensive Orange amps....

3. Mind Flayer

Thanks -- but is 35 solid state watts with a 10'' speaker enough to gig with? I've been selling off a ton of gear and I have some money to spend, so while I'm not going to send money just for the sake of spending money, I am willing to get into the more expensive territory (within reason, of course -- I'm probably not going to drop more than $1,200 on an amp).

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I can even gig with a 20RT - all you have to do is have good front stage monitors and a good PA and mic the thing.....

But if you need more power....this is the next step up....$500 and 60 watts and a 12"....still solid state....different amp design than the Crush series though so it might not sound the same to you....

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...plifiers-crush-pro-cr60c-60w-guitar-combo-amp

5. valor19

valor19 Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

Orange 35RT should be fine for really small gigs. Next step up is the Orange Crush CR60C that is 60 watts with a 12" speaker. And the next step up after that is the CR120C which is a 120 watt combo with two 12" speakers. If you like the 20RT, you will like all of those. All have that distinct Orange sound.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  6. Mind Flayer

Thanks -- I'll have to check these out.

7. Mind Flayer

A local store had a CR60 on the floor, so I gave it a whirl. Wow, it sounded fantastic. Just ordered a used one online from GC. I went with the dark tolex version. Really excited to get this!

8. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

Yep, I've been gigging with an Orange CR60 with an extension cab with my 90's tribute band for 2 years now. Fantastic amp, very versatile, and loud enough to blowout your ears most places. Bigger venues, just throw a mic on it....it sure don't sound solid state. The clean can sound a bit flat sometimes (for me that is the only drawback), but it is punchy and warm! Love this amp and best of all....no maintenance ever.

valor19 likes this.