Orange Micro Terror vs Micro Terror Dark

TrogdorBurninator

Strat-Talker
Nov 16, 2020
Oahu
Hey all. I was considering getting one of the orange "lunchbox" micro tube amplifiers, and I realized that they have a "dark" edition. It seems the dark edition has more gain and an effects loop. I play classic rock (Gun n Roses) as well as alternative/grunge (Alice in chains, Silverchair, ect) on distortion and usually classic country on clean and I was wondering which amp would better suit this playing style. Does anyone here have experience playing these bad boys, I know they'll need a cab... What are your thoughts and pros and cons of the two.

Thanks.

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
I have had the Micro Dark for several years. It is good travel amp and has a headphone outlet along with the fx loop. It is the better choice IMHO.

hecubus

Strat-Talker
Jan 27, 2016
Dallas
Micro Terror here.. Looks like you already made your decision, but for the music you described, I like the Terror better. For heavier music, you can't beat the Dark. Enjoy it!

TrogdorBurninator

Strat-Talker
Nov 16, 2020
Oahu
I'll keep that in mind. Still a couple Terrors up for pretty good prices, but first things first I'm gonna need a cab. Thanks all
Micro Terror here.. Looks like you already made your decision, but for the music you described, I like the Terror better. For heavier music, you can't beat the Dark. Enjoy it!

cozmikdebris

New Member!
Aug 31, 2022
New Zealand
Alright, I went for it. Got a micro dark off of eBay for $100. My first tube amp :)

Planning on playing through headphones for the time being but will eventually want a cabinet. Any recommendations for a low budget cab?
Marshall has a good range of cheap cabinets. I just bought a marshall MX412A 240W for $800 NZD ($455 USD) which wasn't too bank-breaking considering the power in that thing. Or you could go with the 2x12 equivalent which would knock a bit off the price. I'm a sucker for high volume though so that's why I went with the 4x12... if you're planning on just playing at home I'd suggest either a marshall 2x12 or even a 1x12. A marshall cab would pair pretty well with the orange dark as well...