Ordered a Custom 68 Vibro Champ

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
They took a great amp and gave it the mods almost everyone (including myself) would want:
adding reverb and putting in a larger speaker.
It makes perfect sense to me.
i just wish they'd kept the tremolo circuit too; my old Vibro Champs have pretty awesome
swampy tremolo sounds.
Looking forward to hearing what you think of the amp once you get it.

Note to self: you don't want another amplifier.
You don't need another amplifier.
You are all about the digital modelers nowadays, remember?

Last edited:

RandyM

Strat-Talker
Apr 3, 2020
They took a great amp and gave it the mods almost everyone (including myself) would want:
i just wish they'd kept the tremolo circuit too; my old Vibro Champs have pretty awesome
swampy tremolo sounds.

It has Trem - speed and intensity knobs.

teleamp

Strat-Talker
May 21, 2009
Prairie Hill, TX
swampy tremolo sounds.

Same tremolo circuit as the early Vibro Champs... nice and swampy

Bazz Jass

Chairman of the Fingerboard
Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Off the map
Well, I had a scare today. The local supplier emailed to say the one they had reserved for me was accidentally released to someone else, and no more coming for months!!

I emailed the owner of the company to express my dismay and turns out he'd taken mine out of stock, and the guys on the floor thought it was gone.

Yikes. Arriving Monday :)

Bazz Jass

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Off the map
Silly me not to notice that.

LOL It's basically the old Vibro Champ with 10" speaker and digital reverb...

What could go wrong?

At best the speaker is now 10". At worst it has digital reverb. But digital reverb is better than the original no reverb? Apparently. Or turn it off and be like the original ;)

Nate D

Most Honored Senior Member
Apr 2, 2016
Philly, PA
Cool amp. I have an original early 70’s that I modded with a push/pull pot on the volume control that bypasses the tone stack. It makes it quite a bit louder with a much different tone.

Honestly- and this is just my opinion- I like the 8” speaker in the champ- it’s one of the reasons to play a champ. It responds way differently than any other speaker size.

But you’re gonna enjoy the amp no doubt and congrats on a cool amp!

Bazz Jass

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Off the map
It's here! Won't get to test it properly until the weekend, but first impressions are great. Fantastic clean sound as expected.

I'll need to find a drive pedal, as I can't play it loud enough to break up here in the evenings. Trying out a TS9 and TS808 in the next few days, as I can get trade pricing on Ibanez, and also not many options in my part of the world that I can "just take home and try for a few days."

I love the drive on my Peavey DB210, so if I can get something close to that in a pedal, I'll be grinning!

1649194504357.jpeg