Original Floyd Rose vs Gotoh Floyd Rose

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by fmunoz, Sep 16, 2020.

1. fmunoz

fmunoz Strat-O-Master

Hi all,

I'm working on a new build and have both of these tremolos at hand, can anybody that has used both give me some input on their experience? I've a few guitars with original floyds, and I've read about the Gotoh, but I'd like the impressions of someone that has used both and had a chance to compare their weaknesses and strengths.

To clarify, I own both and I'm just trying to rank them so I can put the "best" one on my preferred build and leave the second for a lesser project...

2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I’ve had both. I like the original Floyd Rose better. I just like the way it feels versus the Gotoh. Plus the Floyd is easier to find parts for.

mikej89, CB91710 and fmunoz like this.
  3. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Are the current Floyds still the same quality? I have heard grumblings about them versus other aftermarket options. No experience with the Gotoh trem but I've used heaps of other Gotoh parts/strat trems etc over the years and they've always been rock solid...

fmunoz likes this.
  4. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

I haven't had either so let's get that out of the way. I have Ibanez Edge's, an FR1000 and a German Schaller currently. I thought the current OFR's weren't up to the quality of years passed and the Gotoh had become the new "go to". It may be something about the knife edges? Suhr uses the Gotoh and as I recall there is a thread on TGP where John Suhr explains why he uses it over the OFR. Best might be subjective talking points as they are both probably top notch.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    fmunoz likes this.
  5. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Strat-Talker

I've got an '87 fr, it's too bulky.

Does stay in tune though.

My one in a vintage tremolo fr.

IMG_20200525_213055.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  6. fmunoz

fmunoz Strat-O-Master

I've been using the 1000 series and originals for a while and quality is top notch on both.

I've had bad experiences with the Special series though and wouldn't use one of those again...

7. fmunoz

fmunoz Strat-O-Master

Interesting, I'll check it out, I've had good experiences with Ibanez tremolos and I know they are manufactured by Gotoh, which is why I decided to give it a try. its just that I just got my hands on a NOS original for a very good price and I'm debating which to use. This is the first guitar where I have done the finishing so its kind of special to me :)

8. fmunoz

fmunoz Strat-O-Master

That is very cool, I recently got an Schaller 2000 which is a bit similar to this, but without the fine tuners and I really wanted to like it, but it will end up being sold soon, never even installed it, just didn't like the look I guess...

9. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

NOS-OFR would be my choice just because I think it has more “swagger”. If I was buying new, Gotoh because the product is so good for it’s price.

fmunoz likes this.