Original parts for '89/'90 Strat Plus

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Quacker, Jan 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Quacker

Quacker Strat-Talk Member

Hi all,

I bought my strat used in the early 90s. It had Seymour Duncan Livewrire pups on it. I would love to know what pickups were on it originally and my hope is that someone here has one like it or knows more about it than I do.

I believe the GOTOH branded black locking tuners were standard on that model? My guitar is black and also has a black pick guard (8 holes).

Thanks for more info on my guitar :)

Stefan

2. CapCrunch

CapCrunch Strat-Talker

I believe they had Lace Sensor pickups. I bought an regular 1989 American Std Stratocaster back then and remember well when the Plus came out. I recently installed a loaded Lace Sensor pickguard with Hot Golds in it. I think the Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton models had Golds too. As far as tuners, Fender has branded locking tuners. I would go with that. It's my first time using Lace sensors and I am loving them!

3. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-O-Master

3 gold lace sensors, TBX tone control and brushed chrome ...I think 89's still had the Schaller...locking tuners. White 11 hole 3 ply pickguard.

beaz and CB91710 like this.
  4. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Your are correct, sir. These would have had the brushed chrome/satin finish Schaller-made locking tuners. It's possible that some had satin-finish Sperzel locking tuners; Fender would swap in the Sperzels when they would run short of Schallers there in the late 80s/early 90s but the Schallers were the "spec".

5. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Wilkinson nut too...

7. Bill ANN

Bill ANN Strat-Talk Member

Yeah let us see some pics of YOUR Strat Plus! Ha!

8. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a 1993 Strat Plus. As others have said, they had 3 Lace Sensor Gold pickups, TBX tone control, roller nut, and locking tuners. I've heard the specific brand of locking tuners changed depending on the year, but at least for the 1993, they had Schaller locking tuners.

9. Quacker

Wow guys, thanks for so much input. Looks like I've come to the right place :)

I'm happy to upload some pictures, but won't have time to do so until the weekend, so please bear with me for the time being.

10. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Need to see pics.....

Original tuners on Strat Plus were not black, and not Gotoh. Black body AND pickguard were not original Strat Plus combination. Fender Strat Plus ONLY used 11-screw pickguard. I'm not aware of ANY American made Fender Strat, other than vintage re-issues. using 8-screw pickguard.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  11. PCollen

On the basic Strat Plus, you are correct.

12. Quacker

Thanks again for all the info. It's great that after all these years I'm learning so much stuff about my instrument. I searched for the serial number and I believe it suggests that this is a Japanese model which *might* explain the GOTOH tuners. Don't know why anyone would want to throw out the Schallers, unless they didn't have a black model. It looks like whoever modded the guitar wanted nothing but black hardware.

I'm puzzled that the Start is supposed to have an 11-hole pick guard. I've taken it apart when fitting the new pickups and I can assure you that only 8 holes are used underneath the pick guard.

Here are some pictures:

IMG_9655.JPG IMG_9656.JPG IMG_9657.JPG IMG_9659.JPG IMG_9658.JPG

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  13. John C

This is definitely an [EDIT: MIK, not MIJ] Strat, not a USA Strat Plus model - that does in fact explain the Gotoh tuners. If you could remove the neck you can check and see the part number stamps on the neck heel and in the neck pocket of the body and we might be able to tell more about what it was originally. I kind of doubt that it had the black parts originally (tuners, bridge, knobs, etc.) but with [EDIT import Fenders of that era] you never know.

While I have a pretty good handle on the USA models I'm not as up on [EDIT: imports] - outside of the oddball MIJ Contemporary and HM models from the mid 1980s/early 1990s, and this is not one of them. I'm thinking it's a modded [EDIT: import] - which might also explain the 8-holes for the pickguard - but someone more knowledgeable on MIJs should be able to help you.

EDIT: See @PCollen's post below - it's MIK, not MIJ, so I stand corrected. Not familiar with that era MIKs at all so the black hardware could be factory or could be a mod.

14. PCollen

I went to the following web-site, entered your serial number shown on the headstock, 1001004, and it returned information that your guitar was manufactured for Fender by Samick in South Korea sometime between 1988 and 1996.....

Fender Guitars Serial Number Decoder - GuitarInsite

These sites also confirmed manufactured in Korea, ca. 1988-1996:

https://zinginstruments.com/fender-serial-number-lookup/

https://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx

I'd like to add that Samick has an exceptional reputation for making quality, affordable guitars for major name-brand companies as well as their own line of instruments. Samick also made high end guitars such as the Valley Arts guitars of the 80's.

Quacker likes this.
  15. John C

Great info; I should have checked the serial number when I didn't see a "Made in xxxxx" on the guitar anywhere. I've edited my post accordingly.

16. Kyri

Kyri Senior Stratmaster

Is the first digit the number 1 or the letter I, in your opinions.

The heel marks would be useful to see, if possible under the neck heel and also the shape of the routes inside under the pickguard.

Nice strat!

PCollen likes this.
  17. PCollen

That is a good point you make. Entering the leading digit as I vs. 1 yields the following:

Serial number: I001004
    Production year: 1989 or 1990
    Made by Fuji-gen,Japan

It looks like a 1, vs. and I to me. But I can't be sure...it's not clear. OP can confirm s/n.

18. John C

Same here - I can't tell if it's a "1" or an "I".

19. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

Guessing MIJ with everything swapped but the body, neck and maybe some electronics.

Odd bridge, with only two screws but not a true two-point.

Cool looking guitar.

20. Quacker

To the best of squinting abilities, the leading character is an I, not a 1. It looks different than the '1' in the middle of the serial, so I suppose it must be an I which would make this a Japanese model and there were Strat Plus guitars coming from that factory, afaik.

I'm pretty sure the pick guard was a mod, because the previous owner probably wanted it all black. The pickups were black, too.

Taking the neck out is a major task for me - not sure, if I'm up to do that. I'm a bit scared I would do damage to the instrument.

There's no info under the pick guard I found when I swapped pups, but I didn't specifically look for that. There were definitely no extra tapped holes for the pick guard, so whichever pick guard was on it originally also had 8 holes.