Join Strat-Talk Today

Oswald

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by BuffaloHound, Jan 17, 2019.

1. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

I’m currently very seriously considering ordering a custom guitar from Nick at Oswald Guitars. I know this is a Fender Forum, but I was hoping someone here has some experience with this brand. Plus I’m basically going to have him build me a vintage style Strat.
    I originally heard about this guy’ work from Youtube’s Dave Simpson. My bottom line is it’s a $1600 guitar, which is comparable to a Fender AVRI. But totally customizable.

So forum:
    -Has anyone here played an Oswald?
    -If you could choose parts of a guitar to assembly your dream guitar, what would they be?

I’m looking at an S-type with a 7.25-9.5 compound neck and vintage style frets/tuners. Everything else is up in the air.

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Never heard of Oswald guitars so I’m no help there but if I could assemble my fav part for a Strat they would be:
    Two piece body
    Quarter Sawn neck
    Medium jumbo frets
    12 inch radius
    Nitro finish
    Vintage tuners

Oh wait Fender already did that for me with the EJ Sig so I bought one with RW board and a Thinline with maple :D

3. BuffaloHound

I didn’t mention Nitro finish, but yes that was the intention. And I hadn’t thought of body pieces, but one sounds like a good idea.

4. YALCaster

YALCaster Strat-O-Master

Oswald is a true artist. His work is incredible (I have never played on of his instruments, I’m going purely off photos)

5. Stratoskater

From what I’ve read two seems to be best. I’ve heard one piece can warp plus it’s much harder to get a one piece without imperfection or voids. This is why Fender uses two pieces on their higher priced Signature and custom chop models. Of course they use many more pieces on standard production models and they sound great too. I prefer a two piece because I like sunburst finishes and it’s easier to see the seams on those.

BuffaloHound likes this.
  6. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

Although I've read that explanation over the years about one piece bodies I have yet to see any examples of one piece body strats or teles to support that claim.

A lot of the early Teles had one piece Ash bodies, so did a lot of early strats too. Every now and then you see one piece body alder but it's rare compared to one piece Ash.

It comes down to supply. How much of the lumber is knotty versus how much is clear, the quantity of clear Alder in sizes big enough for one piece bodies is low compared to Ash or Mahogany.

Again majority of Gibsons are built with one piece mahogany bodies and not only Les Paul standards but also Jr and SG series too.

And still, no example of warped one piece body. Sonically I doubt there is any difference between one piece or two piece. But I do prefer a one piece Ash if the finish is translucent or opaque.

CFFF and BuffaloHound like this.
  7. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

it's a rare alder that would have the diameter at harvest to get a board that dimension these days...

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  8. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Seemso me to be another guy making and selling Fender guitars. While not being affliated with Fender. Sorta doesn't seem right.

9. Guy Named Sue

Red alder is the only one I think that can sometimes be big enough for boards that size. But again it depends how much of it is knotty or clear. I do from time to time find red alder one piece bodies from a Japanese aftermarket manufacturer I buy from but they're rare.

10. Stratoskater

I think it was a thread here years back where someone posted a photo of a Strat that was one piece (not Fender) that had a twist to it like a neck can. I agree there is no tone reason to make a one piece and the main reason is like you said the availability of good pieces large enough to make a one piece. And although a Les Paul has a one piece mahogany back it still has a separate maple cap so I call it two pieces :D

11. Guy Named Sue

Heck you can call the Les Paul a three piece since the maple cap is bookmatched.

jaybones likes this.
  12. Stratoskater

Very true, very true.

13. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

I don't think I could play an Oswald guitar without thinking about an assassin.

BuffaloHound and BallisticSquid like this.
  14. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I immediately thought of this guy. My kids watched this show a lot when it was on.

[​IMG]

Stratoskater likes this.
  15. Stratoskater

Yeah I agree especially after seeing that headstock, at least most S & T type builders change the shape some, these seem like a direct rip off.

16. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

17. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

On the subject of bodies, I prefer a 2 piece with the seam as close to center as possible- not in the neck pocket of course.

That was the name I associated with when I read the title.

Without venturing into forbidden territory, if not an assassin for sure a patsy.

18. BuffaloHound

I see your point.
    But Fender is big time and this is small scale production made by one passionate guitar luthier in his workshop. I’d rather give him my money. Plus, I believe he puts a degree of love and attention into his creations that can’t me duplicated by a production line.
    Plus, how many company’s make Strat-type guitars?

19. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

A story we will never get to the bottom of. I was 11 when all that took place, like all major tragedies I remember it like it was yesterday.

20. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Ron Kirn builds from scratch. And he's in Florida. Not Europe.

Hell, if you can use a screwdriver and a soldering iron, you can build a guitar. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.