Over Under Sideways Down -The Yardbirds

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Talk about one from the way back machine! I never knew how to play that one, was very cool to see it.

Wishing a very happy new year to you my friend.

Yeah that’s an old one. I probably know the Yardbirds more as a historical reference than their songs but this one always stood out.

Happy New Year to you and your family as well Ron!

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Very nice as usual @Mouse. How much of that sweet reverb is from those block walls? Also kind of digggin’ that diamond plate pickguard.

Thanks Higgins. Funny you mentioned the reverb as I wasn’t particularly happy with it. That’s all from Audacity which doesn’t have the greatest reverb patches. I wanted heavy reverb to match the old-timey lo-fi sound of the backing track but to my ears it sounds like I recorded it in my bathroom :D

Higgins1980

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks Higgins. Funny you mentioned the reverb as I wasn’t particularly happy with it. That’s all from Audacity which doesn’t have the greatest reverb patches. I wanted heavy reverb to match the old-timey lo-fi sound of the backing track but to my ears it sounds like I recorded it in my bathroom :D
I was listening on my phone and thought it sounded good.

StratMike10

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
Apr 8, 2010
Florida
That was very cool Ralph, never heard the song before... it's kind of ironic that I know almost nothing of the Yardbirds considering that some of my favorite guitar players came from that band.
Nicely done, posting on the 1st of the year is a good omen that this will be another good guitar year for you... I'm still trying to figure out which one in my list to do next :confused::D

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
That was very cool Ralph, never heard the song before... it's kind of ironic that I know almost nothing of the Yardbirds considering that some of my favorite guitar players came from that band.
Nicely done, posting on the 1st of the year is a good omen that this will be another good guitar year for you... I'm still trying to figure out which one in my list to do next :confused::D

Thanks Mike. It's probably one of maybe 5 or 6 I know from them. Let's see if that omen comes true. I have a few mountains I'd like to climb this year.

Looking forward to you getting to your list! :thumb:

Nice! Love that riff, takes me back in time. Well done sir!

Thanks MrClint!

wow it's like 1966 all over again!! proto-Zep! Nice work Mouse! (as always)

i've always loved this song... that crazy lead part that's almost Turkish... so thrilling to my little kid ears back in the day!

Thanks Monte. That riff sure does have that middle eastern feel. That's what drew me to covering it but I stayed for the swinging rhythm part. That's the real meat of the song and the toughest for me to nail.

Ha! Love that song, Early Beck, what a way to kick in the new Year
and as always nailed it :thumb:

Thanks Mike. That's probably the closest I'll get to pulling off a Jeff Beck cover. :D

stratobiker

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 16, 2011
France
Great job! You sound great….like you could have been on the original recording….authentic. Fab Tele tone. Just right.
And you use Audacity as your DAW? Wow.
The reverb was ok, certainly not ‘off’.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Great stuff Mouse; can't beat a bit of The Yardbirds.

Thanks as always Decker for taking the time to have a listen!

Now THAT'S rock n roll!
Awesome work (as always, your covers kill)!!!

Thanks E! Yeah, that’s roots stuff right there.

Great job! You sound great….like you could have been on the original recording….authentic. Fab Tele tone. Just right.
And you use Audacity as your DAW? Wow.
The reverb was ok, certainly not ‘off’.

Merci! Correct on Audacity. I’ve used other DAW’s but for what I’m doing it’s still the simplest. Appreciate the comments on the reverb as it initially didn’t sound great to me ears compared to how others apply the effect.