Overdrive pedal for Small Amps

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Ian Ashdown, Oct 17, 2021.

1. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Ian, you could get a hundred, if not two hundred recommendations, for the question you asked. My answer is a bit different. I suggest you take your amp and guitar to as many music stores as you can find, in your area, and try as many OD pedals as you can. Just be polite, and most music stores will be glad to earn your business, now and in the future. For a person to throw out one word such as "boogerpicker", with no explanation at all, or links to video's aren't going to do jack squat for you. Try as many OD pedals as you can get your hands on, and buy the one that sounds the best, with your playing style and equipment. Good Luck!:D
    t

surfnturf likes this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

My NUX Horseman works well on all my amps and it has two OD settings (2 in 1).

3. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Strat-O-Master

I’ve always had good sounds out of a TS-9 or a Boss SD-1

systolsys likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Most Honored Senior Member

Get a Joyo American Sound pedal. I had put my Strats away until I got one.

Set your amp clean and use this pedal for all the tones. If you gig you can plug this pedal into the PA system and not need to lug an amp and microphone.

The other thing to do is stack pedals. Notice the Joyo used here to go to the recording system without an amp.

CAR63, surfnturf and stormsedge like this.
  5. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I have the Joyo Ultimate Drive and its fantastic. Its a clone of the Fulltone OCD. Adds more of what's there but has plenty of gain if you want it. The EHX Glove is also a clone.

I've always figured eventually I'd get a Fulltone but the Joyo does the job so I just haven't bothered yet.

surfnturf and stormsedge like this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I actually added these last week (but not as familiar with them yet as the Horseman I mentioned earlier...

A good one :thumb: for Fender sounds--consistently good reviews...there is also California for Mesa, ACTone for Vox, and British for Marshall---lots of fun.

This also gets solid reviews. Liking Fulltones, but not having the allowance for an OCD last week, I picked up the Ultimate Drive...not disappointed.:D

7. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

The Pro Jr is a great sounding am as is. Have you considered just getting a boost pedal?

surfnturf likes this.
  8. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-O-Master

Turn that little amp up to 8 or 9, put a cheap Boss G-7 in front, shape the tone sliders as you wish, push the volume slider on the right way up and wail. :)

Keep on Truckin likes this.
  9. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

I've got three fairly small amps.
    68 Custom Princeton Reverb
    Blues Jr NOS (tweed)
    68 Custom Deluxe Reverb

With single coils, my Timmy works well with all three amps.
    For single coils and humbuckers, I use an EP Booster and a new pedal I just got last week (Dual Drive.....King of Tone clone) with all three amps.

igor4444 likes this.
  10. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Any decent Tube Screamer style pedal, from Boutique to Chinique depending on your budget.

surfnturf likes this.
  11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Senior Stratmaster

That would be my suggestion as well although I like the 10 band MXR better. The good thing with an EQ is that you can match the boost frequency to your amp, speaker and volume preferences.

If the tone of the amp when it's pushed isn't the desired tone, then that's when pedals that add their own character to the tone will fit in.

Impulsive guppy likes this.
  12. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I've got tube amps anywhere from 1 watt to 60. And I use the same OD pedals with all of them.

jrbirdman likes this.
  13. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

J Rockett Blue Note

jrbirdman likes this.
  14. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-O-Master

^^^^^^^

15. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-O-Master

Tumnus works great as a clean boost/sweetener/fattener and get give you some grit and dirt as well. It also stacks nicely.

I use a Tumnus->Timmy with Tumnus in more clean-boost territory and the Timmy on top for some crunch. This was my combo with my Blues Jr. and also with my Quilter Aviator Cub.

Pandamasque likes this.
  16. Textele

Textele RIP Silver Member

This.

All you need is a cheap used Boss, MXR, or Ibanez (etc.) dirt pedal.

They all have knobs on them. Just dial them in.

And no one listening to you play gives a rat's crack what pedal you are using.

They all get the job done.

17. Textele

Textele RIP Silver Member

That is what I've used since the early '80's. Back before the Boss Ge-7, there was the GE-6 with no level slider. But since the GE-7 came out it's all I use hitting the front of my main stage amps.

I do however use a Boss OD-3 in my other rig going into a pure clean platform amp.

surfnturf and Impulsive guppy like this.
  18. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talker

As others have stated, there’s a ton of different types of OD’s and it’s all personal preference.

One thing in would say is that, for a small amp, you generally want a full frequency Overdrive. A mid jumped OD, or one that lops off the low end, is really useful for a big amp with a lot of bass, but it will make a small amp sound boxy and anemic.
    The Nobels ODR Mini is a great option, as is the Blues Driver. Also, the Foxrox FR100 is awesome. It has a 3 way bright/mid/Lo voicing switch that matches it to the amp really well. The built in boost is nice too.

If you want something a bit different, try something based on the colorsound overdriver. I think Tru-Fi makes the Colordriver, and there are other clones. I use the Prescription Electronics Overdriver, and it works great with some amps, especially Marshalls, but not with any mid scooped amp.

Best of luck on your search.

Proliferant and surfnturf like this.
  19. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

The level slider on the ge-7 does great things.

Impulsive guppy and Textele like this.
  20. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

I recommend this it works great and its easy to dial in Screenshot_20211019-122659.png