Overdrive pedal for Small Amps

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Ian Ashdown, Oct 17, 2021.

1. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

If you play mostly clean, I'd look for a pedal that will give you clean boost that will drive your amp a little harder and maybe some grit when you want it. Instead of spending a bundle on something trendy, try a clone of a Timmy.

I like the Mosky MM Overdrive. About $25. You get the EQ of a Timmy, clean, reasonable grit.

surfnturf likes this.
  2. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-O-Master

This is all so confusing I might just take up acoustic guitar!

Ian

3. Ian Ashdown

If I had unlimited time I would absolutely do as you suggest. Unfortunately, well fortunately I guess, I have a full time demanding job and my time is short. I’m hoping I can make a short list, and go play a few that the local GC has on the floor.

Ian

jbylake and 66outlaw like this.
  4. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talker

All the pedals mentioned here are good choices, from the BD-2 to tubescreamers to OCD-style. It depends on what you want to do and how it sounds to you. We can try to point you in the right direction, but ultimately you have to decide based on your own ears. In general, if you like the sound of your amp, go for a more "transparent" drive like a timmy (or clone, Caline Pure Sky, for example), if you want a more bluesy, honky tone, go for tubescreamer, if you want more gain across the board go for OCD (or clone, Joyo Ultimate drive, for ex.). Caline Orange Burst is another one in that same general category.

Just a note on the BD-2, to me it's like in between an OCD and a Timmy, so that can be a good option if you want a little more drive than a tubescreamer, and a little more transparency than an OCD. It does tend to be a little bright in some uses, though. Just my personal observations and take on it. My preferences are more in the tubescreamer realm, but if you play rock or just want some heavier OD, it might not be right for you. In that case, you might want to zero in more on something like BD-2 or Timmy vs. OCD- or BB-style to help narrow it down.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    dscottyg likes this.
  5. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Tried to warn ya! :p

After months of research, data, charts n graphs in the end it's still a roll of the dice on whatever you choose.

Make it easier on yourself and select just three pedals and then quickly pick the one of three you like and click the buy button.

Stonetone and surfnturf like this.
  6. DJGranite

DJGranite Senior Stratmaster

An excellent choice for a first pedal . Great tuner and no pedal sounds good if the guitar is out of tune.

If you're just starting, Boss pedals are good quality and reasonably priced.
    MXR is as well.
    Both have a pretty good selection.

7. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Might make sense to go for an inexpensive clone or two. That way you can maybe get a couple flavors without busting the bank. Joyo and Caline make great stuff. The Joyo Vintage OD will get you into Tubescreamer land on the cheap and Ultimate Drive will give you the transparent thing.

there’s also plenty of other cheap alternatives to be had. If you don’t know what you want and limited on time to go to try out I wouldn’t go for a pricey pedal. You can always upgrade later when you get a better sense of what you want.

LucasT and surfnturf like this.
  8. Ian Ashdown

I was offered a great deal on a Tumnus Delux so I went for it. I’ll probably get a BD2 also and decide which I like best.

Ian

9. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Good decision.

The BD2 has 2 choices, the Wazacraft and the regular BD2. I'd go with the regular BD2 which is $60 less. If money is no object then go for the Wazacraft.

Booteek pedals are fine and dandy but keep in mind that Boss has been making great pedals for a very long time, they're aren't sub par.

Jesse414 and surfnturf like this.
  10. Ian Ashdown

I
    I went for the regular BD2.

Ian

11. Irzal

Irzal Strat-Talk Member

Soul Food!

Guitdog44 and Jesse414 like this.
  12. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Enjoy. Let us know what you think.

13. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

Find a Shoe/Dod Looking Glass. Great slightly overdriven sound. Sounds like a classy tube amp. Probably the most organic pedal in the galaxy.

14. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

Mooer Blues Mood
    Wampler Tumnus mini
    MXR Timmy Mini
    MXR Sugar Drive

I’ve used them all, they’re all great. Tumnus and Sugar Drive are permanent board members

Jesse414 likes this.
  15. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

100% right, tone besides the player is know how to dial in the tone your seeking

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  16. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-O-Master

I just want to point out to the OP that the guy who has "main stage amps" because he's a professional gigging musician also knows that the overdrives are all the same. He's right.
    Yes, most overdrives have a mid-bump because they are styled after the Tubescreamer and, yes, the SD-1 has a MILDLY different kind of method of making overdrive (but is still super similar) and then the Blues Driver doesn't have the mid-bump and is more transparent.
    Aside from those three different styles, I think the rest is largely marketing hype.

Like Zakk Wylde and Richie Sambora and others I used an SD-1 for years. Then for some unknown reason, in 2005 I upgraded to a Barber Direct Drive. It's great too! I also have a Blues Driver- its great too.

There is no magical secret way to make magical overdrive. ;)

Trust the pro I quoted.
    They all get the job done.

"I can make any rig talk." - Neal Schon

17. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Jesse414 and Stonetone like this.
  18. slightlydetuned

slightlydetuned Strat-Talk Member

Wampler Tumnus.

Cyberi4n, GhostJam47 and gogaterz like this.
  19. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

My preference is OD's with independent treble and bass controls - it allows you to better adjust for any amp's individual quirks - even better if it has active treble and bass, where you can either cut or boost.
    Xotic OD's are great for this - I used to use the AC Booster and still use the BB Preamp, but there are plenty others on the market.

StratUp and Pinto189 like this.
  20. gogaterz

gogaterz Strat-Talk Member

Watch this Klon Clone Shootout. All sound great and a range of prices.

slightlydetuned and Jesse414 like this.