Overwound vs Underwound. Your random thoughts.

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by SIngles Forever, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

It depends on what I'm using.

With single coils I like to have a bit of weight, so I don't mind over wound.

With humbuckers, I prefer lower wind/output.

TheDireStrat and Nate D like this.
  2. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

The more windings the higher the inductance, and the higher the inductance the more you start choking out the higher frequencies. This makes the pickup sound "darker" because the more you increase the winding, the increase in power is not "flat", but shifts towards the lower frequencies.

Exactly how much and how noticeable I don't know, but that's the general principle: the lower the wind, the lower the power but the truer/flatter response across the spectrum.

SIngles Forever likes this.
  3. Deviljho

Deviljho Strat-Talk Member

What if I told you...the amp and DAW were the REAL puppeteers of tone.

4. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

Generally prefer low wind on Strats and LPs. But I have 2 LPs and so I have a hotter set in one.

My 2nd Strat is a Superstrat with Duncan Classic Stacks, but I’ve considered putting hotter pickups in it.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  5. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Strat-O-Master

Don't they have a hot stack as well? Maybe them. I know; total stranger. But, have you ever had a chance to compare classic stacks with SSL-1s or vintage type pups?

David Garner and EC Strat like this.
  6. Roger66

Roger66 Senior Stratmaster Double Platinum Supporting Member

I got a EC blackie strat and tore out all the electronics so I could make it a David Gilmour Blackie w/ active DG-20 pickups. The only guitar I have with a battery.
    Are the pickups, switch, jack and PCB, all still wired together, languishing in a coffee can worth keeping? I have a walnut strat gold elite 1983 that had the same sized PCB in it and some cool pickups. I kept those. Now I have SSL-1, SSL-1, SSL-6 pickups in it and 3 switches which are wired on/off/oop. Couldn't be happier with it. Is there any market for the still intact EC electronics still wired together in the coffee can? Or should I cannibalize it for parts? Are the pickups any good? Just wondering what to do with that stuff.

7. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

I ate a sandwich today for lunch. Turkey with a slice of cheddar. It was on white bread. You only live once. You only live once.

Jesse414 likes this.
  8. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

With single coil pickups I like more detail and airiness, so I tend to like underwound, low output pickups. If they need a little push, I’d rather use a pedal or amp to make that happen.

kdines and SalvorHardin like this.
  9. Nate D

Despite my sarcastic response this is kind of how I feel. That being said, a ton of players I love use higher output pickups. @heltershelton uses higher output pickups in his teles and they sound good. Of course he’s playing them… so…

heltershelton likes this.
  10. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

It really does make the difference who is playing. I personally can make either under or overwound pickups sound like dog crap. As far as @heltershelton, he can make whatever guitar he is holding sound the way he wants it to. Every time he posts a video of himself, I’m like “damn, that dude rips”.

heltershelton and Nate D like this.
  11. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

awww....you guys are too kind.
    i tend to play/practice alot using no amp whatsoever, and that kinda forces me to get everything i can out of just the guitar.
    ive never been mr pickup experimentor....ive changed the pickups in one guitar in my entire life, and that was because Bodean made me a set for one of my strats.
    as far as my teles go....they are shredder teles.

Jason D, dirocyn and Nate D like this.
  12. Nate D

I do the same thing. For me it teaches me a lot about dynamics. Of course I also know how to use those little tone and volume control things on my amps and my guitars. ;)

Jason D and heltershelton like this.
  13. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Please look at some bode plots. Very few guitar pickups have anything like a true or flat frequency response, they all have a big bump in the treble. The easiest way to get a flat response is to turn down the tone knob. Underwound only sounds like a flat response if you move the peak higher than the amp or speaker can reproduce, or higher than your ears go.

14. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

I have the Psychedelic Set in my other Strat. They’re obviously better. Stacks always sound like stacks to me (I’ve used the Areas too - I have a modest preference for the Duncan’s). But these are really

SalvorHardin likes this.
  15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

If I could turn up my amp as loud as I wanted, and the bartender would stop sending me notes that say TOO LOUD, I would always go with low output pickups.
    Nowadays I'm leaning towards hotter stuff so I can get some grit at lower volumes.
    If they're too hot, you can always lower them.

Nate D likes this.
  16. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Note - I’m getting warble / Strat it is on the G string 12tg fret and up on the guitar with 69’s and the FS-1. Having a helluva time trying to find the right balance / height. Downside to having nuclear powered bridge pickups

SalvorHardin likes this.
  17. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Must be a regional thing.

18. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Is a flat response desirable?

I don't really understand your post.

Fwiw, I use low wind pickups for bridge and middle and as many winds as will fit on bridge. I believe bridge pickup is wound with 43 wire too.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  19. bigsy

bigsy Strat-Talk Member

I know little about pickups. Anyone know what type of pickups are used in the Robert Cray mim strat as it relates to this thread? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  20. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

It doesnt really matter nowadays does it though?We have access to gain stage monsters vs the old times so even the most modest and polite single can be driven to insanity......i like both as long as they have clarity and dont mud easily....other than that the amps/pedals nowadays can always take you where you wanna go....

EC Strat likes this.