P-90s. Which ones and why?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by StratoMutt, Sep 25, 2020.

1. JKjr

JKjr Strat-Talker

I really like the Gibsons but they don't come in a balanced/calibrated set. I couldn't set the neck pickup low enough to match the bridge in my R6. I ended up with Fralin stock bridge/minus 10% neck and they are sublime, probably 95% of my vintage ones. I have low wind Lollars in my McInturff Royal and they are every bit as good as the Fralins. The Fralins have an extended top end that you can control easily with the tone pot. The Lollar top end is a bit more rounded. Both have all the air a vintage P90 should have. And I'm certain that both have a 3 pickup set...just call either of them and be done. You can't lose.

I got to play a Lollar 3 pickup set in a Hamer Monaco through Greg Germino's personal amp at a show a while back. MONEY sound. and then some...still quacked but like a 700 pound duck.

2. JKjr

JKjr Strat-Talker

Meant to add: I've only heard one cheap P90 set that sounded bad. Of course they won't give you a career sound like the best ones, but will get the job done. Don't know how you could get a set of 3 calibrated though.

And while I haven't heard a set of bootstraps I have the "sun city" set and they sound great. I intend to buy another vintage wind set in the near future. Great bang for the buck.

3. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

I’ve ordered a set of BG pure 90s for a 335 copy I’ve got, I’m excited to FINALLY receive them as it’s been ages and I’ve got high hopes.

I’ve got a montys jazzmaster sized 54 p90 in my jazzmaster (obviously) which is excellent

and all this started from a late 90s Korean epi goldtop I had and at the time with the stock p90s in it. I was using a cornford hurricane amp and it was one of the best sounds I’ve ever had, I do love a P90.

4. mike77rios

mike77rios Strat-Talk Member

Bowmap likes this.
  5. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Anything Hum Cancelling Really Fralins always get Good reviews

6. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

This TV yellow 1998 LP Special came with sleepy P-100s.

They were lifeless and dull.

I switched to Seymour Duncan vintage neck and custom bridge. Both of which brought the guitar to life.

[​IMG]

7. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

One good ear and tinnitus? I know it well. Lost almost all hearing in one ear as a result of a reverse block while SCUBA diving. And yes, Tinnitus in the other. Actually, the tinnitus is far worse in the bad ear.

Ok, to the subject at hand. I love P-90’s but have limited experience with different ones. I had a stunning 15 year old Epi Les Paul Gold Top 56 with P-90’s and I replaced them with actual Gibson P-90’s.....The real deal. Absolutely stunning.

A couple months ago I got my second P-90 guitar, a TV yellow Gibson Les Paul Special with P-90’s. Again, simply amazing tone.

Ya can’t go wrong with P-90’s. Good luck.

B356E0DD-2722-4790-A5D0-B51603D8A97D.jpeg

BB9E0471-70C4-476D-B744-32B38578C3D5.jpeg

circles, StratoMutt and albala like this.
  8. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

Gorgeous guitars there! You are far from the first to suggest Gibson.

Sorry to read of your less than good hearing. Hopefully you had good hearing for a while.

I had normal hearing in my right ear up until 1997 when my immune system went haywire and attacked the ear off and on for 3 years. When it was all done I was left with the variable cacophony of moderate to severe ringing and hissing.

Never had any hearing in the left ear.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  9. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

Unintentional double

10. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

Tokai got it right with the P90s in their LPs - they wind their P90's to 6.5k for both pickups! I liked what I was hearing on youtube videos so I wound mine to 6.2k a meagre 7500 or so turns. It still puts out 5 henries (about the same as a bridge PAF!). The bridge I knew I would want hotter, so wound to 8.3k or 10220 turns and that sounds fantastic and believe it or not balances perfectly with the neck. That's 6.5 henries. Both rough cast A3 with about 50 gauss at each end. Tone wise it sounds pretty much bang on 1950's goldtop. A little less push and a little less high end than modern A5 or A2 P90's but a very distinctive "airy" sound you just don't get off the peg.

I've put a few dozen hours on it since then and through the twin reverb it sounds literally like a fat telecaster but with much much more warmth and expressiveness in the middle and neck position but without the midrange flub you get from OEM pickups. Midrange seems to be the "modern" sound for most pickup makers and I hate it and it will never sound vintage! Especially when you don't use 50's wiring, which lets you really start moving the resonant peak around a lot by rolling off tone and/or volumes. I roll mine with 0.015 PIO NOS caps and 550k pots. A lot of people (me obviously included) want a LP to sound like a fat telecaster and P90's have a ton more bite and touch sensitivity than a humbucker (even a brilliant one).

I really don't understand why Gibson doesn't balance their P90's tbh. In a LP it just will never work right if you don't.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    JKjr and StratoMutt like this.
  11. mike77rios

mike77rios Strat-Talk Member

Bare Knuckle Super Massive P-90. Simply the best.

StratoMutt likes this.
  12. DavidGilmour

DavidGilmour Strat-Talker

i have a set of Warman P90 pickups - i found them great for a while - stuck a 500k pot in guitar and then i found them fanstastic

StratoMutt likes this.
  13. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

StratoMutt likes this.
  14. hlaoroo

hlaoroo New Member!

I run SD Phat Cats on my PRS copy and they're pretty spectacular.

That said, you do need to think about modern vs. vintage output, especially with P-90s. I don't run into them all that often outside of vintage guitar copies.

StratoMutt likes this.
  15. iamjethro

iamjethro Strat-Talk Member

I am fine with the Epiphone P90Pros in my Blueshawk.

StratoMutt likes this.