P90 pickup

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by NZdave, Oct 23, 2014.

1. NZdave

NZdave Strat-Talker

I always though that a P90 was a humbucker?

2. surf's up

surf's up Strat-Talker

P90's are large single coil pickups, humbuckers have two coils (for hum cancelling). When using a 2/ P90 setup with a 3 way switch, and with the neck pickup reverse wound, you create a "humbucker" tone when in middle position. There are a ton of P-bucker type pickups on the market, which are P90's in a humbucker size body allowing for easy conversion into a guitar with a humbucker rout.

3. kchurch

kchurch Senior Stratmaster

P90s are awesome, definitely worth trying. I have them on my Godin Kingpin, and they have a unique sound that sits between regular single coil and humbucker. They sound great clean, have a bit of sparkle in the bridge, and dark, round goodness in the neck position, and they respond to an overdrive pedal with low to medium gain very well. Think of George Thorogoods tone, thats P90s. They do work great for slide. They are not humbucking, but the ones I have which are made by Godin, are pretty quiet.

4. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Its a single coil, they began manufacturing it in 1946, and it was used on all Gibsons exclusively until they started using the PAF humbucker.

Gibson also made a mini-humbucker that fits pretty much into the same routing as the old P90.

That mini-humbucker was quite common on the later Les Pauls in the 70's. Really cool guitars.

5. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster

The do hum like crazy but it is a deeper hum than Strat pickups - fat hum I should say? lol.
    Yeah, but as soon as you crank those pickups you forget the hum and the sound is pure awesomeness.
    The clean sound is unreal and the overdriven sound is pure Rock´n´Roll and Hardrock heaven.
    The P90 goes from acoustic clean to AC/DC and way beyond.
    The most important thing is the P90 has maybe the most character of all pickups. The P90 makes every guitar sing. I just love them in an SG.

All the best,
    Robin

6. lineboat

lineboat Senior Stratmaster

I agree. The P90 is my favorite pickup. If I could only have one guitar, it would have dual P90s.

7. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

Love P90s

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. tschucha

tschucha Strat-O-Master

You like stratocasters. You like P90s.

Try these:
    Web Store

Ken makes some mighty fine pickups and these sound fantastic. I got a set for my stratocaster a little while ago and love them. Before I put them in I shielded the inside cavities of the strat with copper tape. The Rose Morticia pickups are a great deal quieter than the stock pickups were without the shielding.

9. ikeepem

ikeepem Strat-Talker

+1 on any of his pickups, I have his Belles, Mariposa's, American Beauty's and Buff Beauty's with the Belles and Mariposas my favorites by slight margins and you certainly can't beat his prices I'd gladly pay double or triple for.. I'm gonna order a set of those Morticia's, heard good things..