Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

P90 Strat pickup ?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by stevierayfan91, Jun 18, 2011.

1. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Dog Whisperer. Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.
    Hi buddies
    I was just wondering has anybody tried these?

Single coil P-90 style pickups for Strat style guitars

I do not want to route my Strat for a HB( I already have a good humbucker guitar that is warm and punchy sounding :) ) , but I do very much love the fat, growly tone of P90s and if I could get that tone in the bridge position of my Strat-It would be awesome, lol.

Thanks!

2. OLDGREYGIT

OLDGREYGIT Senior Stratmaster

Feb 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Whoa, see what you mean! That's a big old output from the bridge, I would, if it were me, fit the set, otherwise, maybe, the pups would be wildly imbalanced going from bridge to middle.
    It's only a suggestion, mind you, perhaps someone has tried one, or a pup with a similar output?
    Got to say, they do look ace.

3. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada

4. stevierayfan91

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.
    hey, buddies
    hmm, those are good suggestions :)

@Thaus
    Reg. the Fralin version-What makes you like it more? Thanks :)

Also,
    The other two SC's that would still be in my guitar if I did that swap,would be the overwound Fender Tex Mex ones-I am not sure if that would cause balancing problems or not?

5. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    I like the SP43' for a couple of reasons: first, it pushes an amp differently for more gain and second, you can fiddle around with the pole pieces, just adjust the height to your liking. This in combination with adjusting the height of the whole pup gives you endless tinkering possibilities. They do have a more compressed tone to my ear and none of the brittle high-end. I have a partscaster with a set installed. Sounds great to me!

6. stevierayfan91

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.
    Hi, buddy
    That sounds like it'd be worth a try then :) I may need to sell some stuff to afford the Fralin SP-43 P90 output pickup , lol.

I am sure either the VVG or Fralin would do nicely-Seems like they are built about equal :)

Any more suggestions, buddies?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

7. louis cyfer

louis cyfer i know nothing

Oct 2, 2010
    arcadia
    actually the set is not so good. they don't sound as good in the neck and middle, but are great in the bridge. although i would definitely go with the lindy fralin sp43 in this case. just get the bridge pup, no need for the others. it will balance fine.

8. OLDGREYGIT

Feb 7, 2011
    Surrey
    I am a sucker for P90's, Gary Sanford had a P90 in the bridge of his Strat when he was in the Joe Jackson Band, And I think he's a big influence on where I'm going, sound wise.
    I have Lindy Fralin vintage Hots, with the baseplate on the bridge.
    Wonder how the sp43 would fit in....curses, there may only be one way to know....
    Oh, and one of my heroes, Richard Thompson has a P90 in the neck of his Ferrigton Strat-o-thing.

9. Alan0354

Alan0354 Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    US
    Watch out the extra depth of the pup because of the magnet at the bottom.

10. OLDGREYGIT

Feb 7, 2011
    Surrey

11. totnesdave

totnesdave Strat-Talker

May 1, 2011
    Totnes, UK
    That's interesting, Richard Thompson is my fave guitarist and his Ferrington actually has a Broadcaster pickup in the bridge, a Strat pickup in the middle and a P90 in the neck, also with 3 volume controls for infinite mixing possibilities. I would love to try that out and with this pickup coupled with a Strat sized Tele pickup I've seen elsewhere, its a pretty simple wire-up no-routing possibility on a Strat platform :)

12. OLDGREYGIT

Feb 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Oh yes, I would love to do that, but until I can make a decent fist of playing with my current plank, I may just forego the mods!
    Apparently the pups are glued into the body....over to you Dave!
    There must be a MIM or MIK out there willing to be frankensteined!

13. stevierayfan91

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.
    @TotnesDave and OGG
    This sounds very interesting :) I am not sure if I could do that to my guitar, but I do wanna try some form of P90 output Strat bridge pickup, lol.

I am seeing if D. Allen can wind one for me(saving money now), if I have to I will look at the Fralin one-But I would rather support a fellow Strat-Talker member if I can :)

@Alan
    It would not fit if it is a Strat size? Maybe the above thingy I mentioned might work better since D. Allen knows lots of ways to achieve these kinds of custom winds?

Thanks all!

14. OLDGREYGIT

Feb 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Had a think overnight. I still have this worry in the back of my mind that 10k output is going to make balancing out the pups a bit challenging.
    SRVfan, what about finding a manufacturer's P90 in a humbucker body, with a 7-8k output, and plonking that in a MIM/MIK HSS bridge?
    Lollar and BKN do one.

15. louis cyfer

Oct 2, 2010
    arcadia
    the balancing won't be an issue. you can get it right with pup height. the bridge pup needs a lot more output to balance anyway.

16. stevierayfan91

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.

17. stevierayfan91

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.
    Hi, buddy
    You mean like could i maybe retrofit something like that into a new pickguard?

It is possible I could :) Not sure if I wanna rout out the individual SC route in that spot though, lol.

Thinking the Vintage Vibe one or Fralin might be a better option :) (D. Allen also said he might make one if he can design it :)

Thanks!

I think I will send the fellow at Vintage Vibe and Fralin an email too...Cool?

P.S
    lollar and Bareknuckle is good stuff but out of my budget I think :oops:

18. louis cyfer

Oct 2, 2010
    arcadia
    david is very knowledgeable. just remember that construction has to be very different from a regular strat pup. need different materials.

19. stevierayfan91

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.
    Ahh, yeahh-Stuff like the bobbin would be diff. and all? I see :)

I will see what David says after he finishes the stuff for NAMM, OK?

Prob. wouldn't hurt for me to also email the guys at VVG and Lindy Fralin, lol.

I don't wanna rush the decision ;)

Thanks, guys :)

20. Alan0354

Alan0354 Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    US
    He did specified he does not want to even route the body for a hb. He must have the kind that really routed for strat single coils. Not the HSH like the new MIA body.