Pabst Blue Ribbon??

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Jul 9, 2021.

1. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I love PBR - nectar of the Gods. Great beer after mowing the grass on a 95 degree day. Yuengling lager is my back up. Both good cheap beers. Lately though, I have taken a liking to the Guinness Coffee infused beer - great flavor with a good cigar. PBR was the cheapest beer I could get when I was in St. Thomas - nothing better than snorkeling for 2 or 3 hours then sitting in the shade on the beach with a cold PBR.

Roger66 likes this.
  2. Landshark2021

Landshark2021 Strat-Talker

''What kind of beer do you like?"
    "Heineken"
    "Heineken? PABST BLUE RIBBON!!!

Roger66 and GhostJam47 like this.
  3. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

old milwaukee and milwaukee's best - 2 of the worst of the worst.

and how do you take a beer contest winner seriously, all the judges have been drinking ffs.

4. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

Posturing...hillbillies?

That's not how words work.

5. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

In the 70s their annual Bock was a decent attempt at a traditional Bavarian Bock. Stroh's did the same. Each Spring, for both breweries, the one-off batch varied a bit from the previous year. Yes, back then I kept notes.

There was also a Pabst Dark that was available only on draft. It was a dark lager and too sweet for me.

I really dig traditional Bock and usually sample the offerings of various breweries. Maibock is quite good, but I don't prefer the style. I'm ticked off that "Bock" has become just another beer brewed year-round by many breweries and not a Spring beer that's a special effort. It's like no one knows what a Bock symbolizes: a Bock is a male goat that symbolizes Spring in Bavarian culture.

Roger66 likes this.
  6. PurpleHaze74

PurpleHaze74 Strat-Talk Member

I blame Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet for making it popular. Can't change my mind lol.

7. Wylde Horses

Wylde Horses Strat-Talk Member

This is why I started making my own. Comes out to a little less than half the price, and it’s fun to boot.

Roger66 likes this.
  8. DaMasta

DaMasta Strat-Talk Member

Only in your world :)

9. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

I remember trying Stegmier....once.

Sixstringer107 likes this.
  10. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Roger66 likes this.
  11. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

I don’t drink beer. But they had a great jingle:

“What’ll ya have?”

Roger66 likes this.
  12. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

It ain't your great grandaddys beer anymore. I loved Richard Petty when I was a kid of 10 in 69. He was the man! In 89 he was just in everyone else's way. Nothing stays the same forever except time itself.

13. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

I think that's a terrible thing to say. Heh.

archetype and Roger66 like this.
  14. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

Our local bar gives you a freebee if you guess the card under the cap. That's - what? - about a 2% discount?

15. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Given that there was little or no refrigeration at the turn of the century, beer would have had to be better and have little or no carbonation to "survive". The horse trough was the closest thing to a refrigerator (my Dad said that's where they would cool down watermelons on the farm he was raised on).

16. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I recently bought a 12 pack of Coors "Banquet" ....yellow jackets. Hadn't drank a Coors in years, and was pleasantly surprised . But Coors and many other American beers are brewed to be downed ice cold and fast. Even on a mildly warm day, you can't let them sit for more than a few minutes.

Roger66 likes this.
  17. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

This post should be printed and framed.

And used as a header in this forum.

Tone Deaf, Roger66 and BigDan like this.
  18. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

They do use corn in Ga. It makes crappy beer though.
    To strong and no color. Very potent.

19. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Wait: PBR was a "thing"? Good Lord, this could be the end days. Sounds like Idiocracy come to life.

Roger66 likes this.
  20. Roger66

Roger66 Senior Stratmaster Double Platinum Supporting Member

Well, in my opinion, which you all are probably wretching even thinking about, people drink beer for different reasons.
    I used to drink it to get a buzz. A lot of it. Lagers were fine for that. After collecting beer cans and bottles for many years. And sampling well over 1000 different beers, I just might have a good take on this.
    The first lager was made in Europe a long time ago. Water was dangerous in most areas. And many people drank beer instead of water. Weak, watery beer was popular.
    On the other side of the spectrum, Monks, who were looked to for spiritual advice brewed very strong beer to get wasted on and ponder the meanings of life. That was part of their job description.
    I am way oversimplifying this.
    Now, there is Beer and there is Ale. I won't get into the difference now.
    The German beer purity law is very old. It stated that beer has 3 ingredients. Hops, barley and water. Yeast was added later when it was discovered. I have not been paying attention to who still follows that law, but I do know that Bud doesn't. They use a LOT of California rice. I don't know about PBR. But it doesn't matter about that old law anyway.
    Yes, Beer changes. I really doubt that the PBR of a century ago is much like today's PBR. It was actually difficult to brew a consistent lager back then, with a mild taste, and great drinkability. A lot of German beer brewers came to America, like Adolph Coors. He was smart and went to where the water is. A lot of them settled in the Wisconsin area.
    The British brewed a lot of dark beer, which didn't need as much refrigeration. When India was a British colony, they had problems getting barrels to India without them spoiling, so they doubled the hops and it survived.
    Personally. I Prefer IPA, but when it's hot, a quality lager or pilsner is nice. Pilsen is a town in Germany. The local microfauna has a lot to do with the way beer tastes. The same recipes yield different results in different locations. Canadian Guinness is not as good as English Guinness, for example.
    In these times of 100,000 gallon stainless steel brewing tanks and the sterile production practices of modern brewing techniques. Beer still is not COMPLETELY immune to the local conditions.
    So, people seem to like, here in America, less flavor and less alcohol and give beer to teething babies, etc. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe it is the culture. I like a nice American lager when working on a car at noon on a Saturday. Having a good old Hood Raiser. If I drank a good strong ale, my work would suffer.
    Beer is a lot like tone. It's your choice based on your personal tastes.
    Like switching guitars, I like a good lager beer at noon on a hot day. When I want to get stinky, I prefer a barleywine (>13%) or a strong ale. With dinner, a. IPA is my usual. Unless it's spicy Mexican or Asian, where I will drink that country's beer, for example. XXX OR Asaih. Respectively. A cold lager is not very cozy by a fire on a cold night. I prefer a pale or dark ale. Or ones made by monks. Having a good beer with the old man, I will have what He or She is having.
    N/A beer is pointless unless you like a tiny buzz and sometimes I actually do.
    All in all, All beer worth making is worth drinking. Some might disagree.
    Strohs and Old Style were some of my Chicago favorites. Strohs is totally different now. I can imagine that most others have changed as well. I know Moosehead has!
    With beer, there is no wrong answer. What you like is what you like.
    The taste does change a lot. Especially in a century. So the PBR that won at the Chicago World's fair. Is NOT the PBR of today. They did not use huge stainless steel brewing tanks in the 19th century!
    I implore all my fellow beer drinkers to just try different beers sometimes. You may find another beer that you like. Brand loyalty is great. But be open to others.
    It's like only liking Telecasters. Sure they are Great, they do the job quite adequately. But there is more to life, like SG's.
    So. Why is American beer like making love in a Canoe? I don't have to tell you. :)
    I will probably catch hell for this.
    Don't get me started on whiskey.

StratoMutt likes this.