Paging ex smokers

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Antstrat, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Speedmaster

Speedmaster Strat-Talker

One day I realized I wanted to quit, so I decided that I would quit the next weekend after a super bowl party. At the end of that night I gave the rest of the pack and my lighter to a smoker at the party and that was that. I got through the toughest cravings by literally putting my fingers to my lips and inhaling an imaginary cigarette. I’m sure I looked ridiculous but it worked perfectly. Seventeen years later I still haven’t had another. I occasionally smoke in my dreams but when that happens I am always disappointed with myself!

2. Bern1

Bern1 Strat-Talker

You just have to decide you are going to do it. Then don’t look back. I started smoking when I was 14. At 28 I realized that if I didn’t quit then, I would be smoking for more than half my life. Around then I got bad pneumonia and figured that was a good time. Hard? Yes, I won’t lie. Satisfying? You bet.

Here’s the consolation for you: the actual physical addiction does not persist that long. So you’ve got that going for you.

Be strong and stay busy. Do some physical activity that makes you appreciate getting your breathing back. Bask in the positivity that you are doing yourself a great favor.

Winning is great!

You can win, good luck!

LeftCoast and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. Dave Harmon

Dave Harmon Strat-Talker

Its too hard to wean yourself off nicotine.
    Just don't have any in your pocket and force yourself for a couple of days to just say no....ain't gonna duit!!
    Pretty soon you'll get used to it and that cold turkey will jump on someone else's back.
    Then go have a pizza....you'll be able to actually taste it.

abnormaltoy and circles like this.
  4. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

That it is on your mind, and perhaps the minds of a few others now too, is a part of the process.

Do whatever it takes for you. What was successful for me may not work for others. I had tried many times before, using many techniques or tricks...

Ultimately it was being honest with myself that helped me find the willingness to be methodical in it.

I would love to take credit for my success. That would be dishonest.
    Her name is Patricia Allison. Google her name and smoking, and stuff will come up. I did her seminar.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. exactopposite

exactopposite Strat-Talk Member

It's hard to explain. I had to get myself in the frame of mind that I was ready to let it go. I quit smoking and drinking cold turkey after getting to a point that I just didn't want to do it anymore. I was going it out of habit and because of the addiction. In retrospect I should have seen a doctor because I went from consuming large amounts of both to nothing. It was a shock to the system. lots of people have to try multiple times before it sticks. Some people use the nicotine patches. You'll have to find a way that works for you, but you can do it.

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Drop ALL your habits.
    Switch brands.
    Wait 10 minutes to light up after getting in the car.
    Wait 10 minutes after a meal.
    Don't light up when you pick up the phone and it's your dad.
    After a few weeks of that, just stop.
    I put one out midway about 25 years ago.
    For 20 years, I wanted one ALL THE TIME.
    Then I went to ONE a day...OK...sometimes 2 or 3 on late gig nights...
    Then quit again a few months ago.
    I still want one all the time.
    It sucks.

abnormaltoy and StratoMutt like this.
  7. Trio

Trio Strat-Talk Member

Quit back in 2002 from 2 packs a day. Zyban worked for me.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  8. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Strat-Talker

Find a couple of hypnotic quit smoking session mp3s. 20 minutes is a good length.

Take 20 minutes a day in a quiet safe place where you will not be disturbed, same time each day for 10 days alternating sessions. Do not skip. 5 days in quit cold turkey if you have not already. The cravings will be minimal if you respond to the suggestions and your subconscious has true buy-in. You will also learn how to almost immediately relax and develop a similar mental reset that smoking gave you.

After ten days do a 20 minute sesh every second day for ten sessions. Then, every third day for another 10 and so on.

Smoked for 30 years. I have a professional hypnotist friend named Romain who hired me to produce audio and video for him to sell at his auditorium seminars. He has helped thousands quit smoking or change bad diet habits.

You will not change your life unless you truly want to. It's 100% your decision to make it or fake it.

abnormaltoy and Bladesg like this.
  9. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

I'm ready to quit. I was well on my way until I ran into one of my exes last year and she smokes. So I started smoking regularly again because we were spending a lot of time together. I was down to 3 packs/week from 6-7/week just from not smoking once every 45 minutes. I'd go 3, 4, or 5 hours at a time sometimes. Then I started seeing her and all that went out the window.

I need to work on getting back there. I really felt like I was on my way to actually quitting that time.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-O-Master

I quit in 2012 at 52 and haven't looked back. Smoked since about 12. I basically got tired of waking up in the middle of the night hacking my brains out, and hacking in the morning all the way to work to the point of gagging and my lungs hurting. Had bronchitis every year it seemed, and during a bout of it, it was impossible to smoke anyway, so I just stopped, and made it this far. The bouts of bronchitis stopped, and I hardly even get a cold anymore. I tried to quit in the past, with false starts, even made it 2 years once and started again. Good luck to you, you can do it if you really want to!

abnormaltoy and StratoMutt like this.
  11. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

I got pneumonia.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Once I signed the title on my first motorcycle, I knew there was no going back. I wanted the bike more than the smokes. When I felt the draw, I didn't get urges because it was much stronger, I would put my helmet on and go for a short ride. I couldn't light up with my helmet on because it was full faced and I refused to buy a modular helmet for that very reason.

13. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

A few months? Keep it up - you are well past the worst!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  14. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

I want a Camel so bad right now...

StratMike10 and abnormaltoy like this.
  15. Justin226

Justin226 Senior Stratmaster

I know this doesn’t work for everyone, but I had to go cold turkey. Cutting down never worked...I’d always have an occasion to go wild and get right back up to a pack a day.

I picked a weekend and gave my wallet and cash to a friend. After three days I was good...after a week I had absolutely no desire. But you have to really want it.

Dave Harmon and abnormaltoy like this.
  16. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the responses, they are very helpful.

17. DancesWithWeasels

DancesWithWeasels Where there's a weasel there's a way Silver Member

I have never smoked, so in a way I have no business responding here. Both my parents quit cold turkey when I was 10. I'm sure that making that decision together helped them do it.

But I have been greatly affected by smoking. Many in my family destroyed themselves by smoking, dying early in lingering, horrible ways. My grandparents all went that way. My wife's favorite grandmother recently went that way, and her state was beyond awful by the end.

The price of addiction is often paid not just by the addict, but by friends and family who must watch or care for the addict.

Ant, I sincerely hope you can do it. I'm pulling for you.

18. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Can you go without just one cigarette?
    Could you miss just one?
    Then miss the next one....

I gave up for 18months, then started again. A month later I tried again, that was 40 years ago.

One thing that I found helped - when I got the urge really bad was to take two or three good pulls off an imaginary cigarette, and think about all the reasons I was giving up...I don’t know if it was the act of taking two or three deep breaths, but it helped.

Good Luck, and Bon Courage! You can do it.

abnormaltoy and Bladesg like this.
  19. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Champix (the drug) is worth a look.not sure what the economics of it is like in the states as it’s fully funded by the health service here in NZ but it was definitely effective. I worked at the agency when it was first introduced and we had very high success rates with it. It’s not a nicotine replacement, it blocks the craving in the brain...

Baelzebub and abnormaltoy like this.
  20. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

I started a bit later at about 15 because it was the "cool" look at school.

I realised the ridiculousness of smoking 20 a day at about 18 and stopped there and then.

Unfortunately some of my contemporaries never stopped, two are dead and some still suffering from COPD.

abnormaltoy likes this.