Join Strat-Talk Today

Paisley/Blue Flower info

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by KuuKOO, Dec 30, 2012.

1. KuuKOO

KuuKOO New Member!

I'm in the market for one of the MIJ blue flower strats (E serial numbers) and before I jump the gun I'd like a bit more info on their construction. This would be my first strat but I've been playing quite a few at the local stores and so I'm hoping you guys would be able to tell me:

1. Is there a difference between the 80s version and the 1993 ish version which also had a large headstock and three bolt neck? I know the most recent reissues had a four bolt neck.
    2. What are the pickups like versus classic series or cs 54s? Worth changing?
    3. Did Tokai ever make a version? I ask as I have an 80s Tokai paisley that is really great.

Any help would be appreciated. I also see that prices are all over the map for these.

Kk

2. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

I have the newest version (well, pink paisley, but same construction) and it is bsswood, and the stock electronics were staggered ceramic. Overall construction is absolutely perfect, super neck joint, great finish work, wonderful balance. Other than electronics, its my only stock strat, i didnt feel the need to upgrade anything else.

I dont know anything about the older version, but i can say that i have 4 wonderful mij strats from that time period that are just fantastic.

3. Naradajim

Naradajim Senior Stratmaster

I have a blue flower Tele, but newer. Would love to have one of the old eighties models. Remember that they were built to be 68 reissues, and, for the most part, the Japanese were really good at emulating the guitars they were trying to recreate.

if you didn't come to rock, then roll.

4. KuuKOO

KuuKOO New Member!

Small bump

5. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

I know there are several guys on here with these guitars, but they must be missing lately.

6. Biff

Biff Strat-Talker

When I collected my Player Deluxe on Christmas Eve, the chap that sold me it had a blueflower strat on his wall, in fact he also had a blueflower tele, and a pinkflower strat and a pinkflower tele on the wall.

When I walked in I was amazed, not only that, but he also had 6 Fender Coronado's, 2 Jazzmasters and 2 Jaguars, not to mention about 20-30 various Strats, Tele's and other Fenders. All in mint condition too.

It took me the best part of an hour to prise myself away from the place and about half that time to close my mouth !!!

7. KuuKOO

KuuKOO New Member!

Nother small bump...

8. KuuKOO

KuuKOO New Member!

trying once more...

9. mcmacguy

mcmacguy Senior Stratmaster

I bought a 1993 Pink Paisley MIJ Strat to play with a 60s tribute band in June of 2011, a perfect purpose. 3 months later I left the band. Oh well – their loss!

The specs are similar to the Japanese Vintage Stratocasters. The basswood body has the usual Strat contours with the stunning Paisley finish first found on 1960s Telecasters. The paisley pattern is actually a foil wallpaper applied over a pink-ish painted body, then sprayed with a clear poly finish. The maple neck is wonderful on this guitar, with 21 frets and the standard-style Fender headstock. The neck is a little chunkier than a true vintage neck, very easy to play. Tuners are the rock-solid Gotoh MIJ vintage style.
    The electrical portion of this guitar is (was!) its weak spot, with cheap ceramic pickups and little Asian pots and switch. I fixed that by installing Fender USA TexMex pickups, which made a huge difference in sound quality. I also added roller saddles to the bridge, Schaller straplocks and pink knobs (not seen in this pic)

BTW - don't spend more for an 80s E-series Paisley, it's pretty much the same guitar and not any more collectible (despite what ebay sellers may claim). Only the original Paisley Tele's are truly collectible (and expensive!)

I'll probably sell my Paisley later this year as I never use it anymore. I have WAY too many guitars!

Attached Files:

10. Henrytwang

Henrytwang Strat-O-Master

I've got a Japanese 4 bolt small headstock Blue Flower Strat. The guitar is well built and plays well but I've replaced the ceramic pickups with Custom Shop 57/62s.

Attached Files:

11. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

A Tokai blue flower Strat? I don't recall ever seeing one. But, as I'm sure you realise, that doesn't mean that they never made any.

12. AlexEP

AlexEP Strat-Talker

Wow!!! That's a real beauty!!!!!! :eek::eek:

13. Henrytwang

Henrytwang Strat-O-Master

It's quite a magnet to other guitar players. If I take it to a gig where there are other guitarists they can't resist picking it up for a quick play.

14. AlexEP

AlexEP Strat-Talker

I can believe it! ;)

15. KuuKOO

KuuKOO New Member!

Thanks very much guys for the info. I personally like the looks of the large headstock which is why I'd prefer an E-series. My Tokai tele is a GREAT instrument so would really much like to partner her with a blue flower strat.

I think there was a couple one-offs out of Tokai but will check at their forum.

16. Cambridgekeith

Cambridgekeith New Member!

I have recently completed a collection of Strat, Tele and Precision CIJ Blue Flower, all with P serial numbers. All great instruments was well as looking great. 44848453_10161223691950624_315365034635034624_n.jpg

Tamarindo03 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.