Panic attacks

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by jtoomuch, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

I must admit I find those types of bridges creepy too when I'm driving in the US.

I almost expect to find the bridge half finished at the apex when driving up!

Fine on the way down.

albala likes this.
  2. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Re the claustrophobia thing I think it is fairly common.

I had to have an MRI that pushed me down that tube. I thought I'd be fine but panic set in and I was pushing that button like mad to get out after only a few seconds!

The nurse in charge said about 20% of people have the same reaction apparently.

Fortunately I got the MRI later with something like a big UFO coming down on so I was not completely enclosed.

Even that was pretty tough but I managed it.

OP, now you have had an anxiety episode and understand the cause if you ever get another you will cope far better from experience.

jtoomuch likes this.
  3. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I've had a few and ended in ER once. The last two I had (last summer) were worse but I didn't bother going to ER, I just dealt with it, knowing it's nothing physical helps a lot.

What you need to do is really think hard and long about your life and what can be triggering it, there is always a trigger, maybe hidden somewhere deep.....

When the next one happens, try to distract yourself and let it slowly go away.

jtoomuch and Antstrat like this.
  4. StratDlx

StratDlx Strat-Talk Member

A timely topic. My wife was hit by a scary panic attack at the beginning of the month - she was terrified and it felt like her heart was about to burst out of her chest, it was beating so wildly. It was like she was trapped in a vivid nightmare and I couldn't wake her up.

We called an ambulance, and they said the ECG looked a little off, so they brought her to a hospital for two days of tests and observation. They said her heart looked pretty good, but if she has regular attacks like this, she should consider a cardiac ablation procedure which cauterizes nerves in the heart to minimize over-excitement. She will see a therapist next week, and has a follow-up appointment with a cardiologist in April.

The last two weeks have been really good (knock on wood), and we suspect all the stress she's been under for the past year (office/frail elderly parent/pandemic/loss of social contacts and hobbies) is now coming out.

OP, I hope you are feeling better, and don't have to get on that roller-coaster again.

jtoomuch likes this.
  5. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I'm really touched by the outpouring of support from you all. I guess in more ways than one I'm not alone. Thank you.

Neil.C, Antstrat and Deafsoundguy like this.
  6. jtoomuch

Funny, the 1st day of it I stopped taking Wellbutrin. I had been on it for just about a month. I just stopped taking it because I had no idea what there or not that would be contributing.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Yup - and since that first attack I've had several close calls since (once in a plane and another in an airport shuttle,) - things that never would have bothered me before - common denominator seems to be the combo of lack of space and poor air circulation. In both cases I was able to get my composure once we got some air moving - I was still uncomfortable in the tight space, but could at least calm myself down and keep my grip.

jtoomuch likes this.
  8. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

What you describe sounds like sleep apnea. Get a sleep study if you havent.

Howard Emerson likes this.
  9. amstratnut

I have mild ones sometimes. It helps to slow my breathing. And tell myself I know what this is. It will pass.

Seamus OReally likes this.
  10. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

Getting into the moment and in touch with your body by giving your breathing your total attention is a real good start with a panic attack. Not only does it give you mental focus, it reminds you to breathe, which is easy to forget while it’s happening.

amstratnut and Antstrat like this.
  11. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Talk to your doctor, general rule for stopping an antidepressant is gradually and not cold turkey.

Also it can take 4 to 8 weeks for an antidepressant to reach its therapeutic value.

And yes, sometimes a side effect is anxiety/panic when starting a new medication. Again give your doc a ring and let him/her know what’s going on. And what @Seamus OReally said, focus on your breathing. Hang in there you’ll get through this.

12. Howard Emerson

Howard Emerson Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

I thought so as well. I used to snore at some point, but my wife poked me enough times that I've stopped, and believe me: She would not tell me I've stopped to make me happy.

These incidents have occurred while watching TV next to each other, so if I was snoring at that moment, she'd pause the show and wake me.

It does present as apnea, though, but it never happens when I actually am sleeping in bed, on my side or stomach.

Now the only thing that wakes me up is our cats, or if I get a leg cramp.

That is a Rude Awakening!

HE

amstratnut likes this.
  13. jtoomuch

Yes I spoke with my doctor and he said to discontinue the Wellbutrin at least for now.

Antstrat likes this.
  14. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

My wife gets them...they’re real. Been to the ER many times in the last 3 years.

I’m starting to recognize the precursors before she goes full attach. If she needs to leave a situation to avoid one, we get up and go no questions asked.

We actually had to end a vacation in the mountains short one time because the thin air was setting her off.

15. amstratnut

Fwiw, snoring doesnt have to accompany apnea. I do snore and thats obstructive apnea but, there is another type where you spontaneously stop breathing. I have that too.

16. Howard Emerson

Howard Emerson Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Duly noted.

The chances of me be able to actually fall sleep in a strange building for a sleep study, though, are pretty slim.

Thank you for the information in any case!

Regards,
    Howard

amstratnut likes this.