Join Strat-Talk Today

Parchment Pickguards; Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by BW89Poplar, Sep 10, 2019.

1. BW89Poplar

BW89Poplar Strat-Talk Member

A couple weeks ago, I got a new 2019 AmPro Strat. It came with a Parchment pickguard. I keep doing a double take out of the corner of my eye while playing, it looks blochy (& it feels rubbery to the touch). I read online that Parchment guards are supposed to give a more broken-in look, and not be so pure white. My previous and only strat, which I played for 30 years, had a plain white plastic 3ply guard. Guess I'll get used to Parchment at some point.....
    So, I'm wondering what my fellow strat players think about Parchment guards, Yay or Nay?

2. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

Question of taste obviously.

I was happy to find a parchment pickguard to replace an old one that was damaged (white at some point, so "aged white"). It matches the other plastic parts well.
    And also for a matter of colour combination with the body and the fretboard, to avoid the guitar to be too bright. For example a plain black body with a brand new white pickguard gives maybe too much contrast. The parchment tint is light but can be enough to change the overall look of the guitar.

I'm not a big fan of mint green guards :)

Speaking of Am Pro strat, I have one in sonic gray + rosewood (so I have the parchment guard too). I would have preferred the knobs to be parchment and not "cream", it's too much for me. They should match the pickguard color. But I get used to it.

Question of taste as I said :)

BW89Poplar likes this.
  3. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-Talker

I like parchment knobs and switch tips. Pickguards not so much.

I don't know how they age, though. The average plastic pg on Fender strats tends to become greenish over time, which is pretty cool. The parchment I've not yet seen a played-in one.

BW89Poplar likes this.
  4. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-Talker

The old me would immediately swap out anything for a mint pickguard but parchment with aged plastics is really growing on me.

5. peterbee

peterbee New Member!

I have one and started with Aged White plastics

And changed the plastics to White and it really made the pickguard look more vintage, where it looked much whiter with the aged plastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it is anodized! However it has affected the guitar's tone unfortunately, and I'm not a fan. So I'm having a grey pickguard made ;)

[​IMG]

6. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-Talker

this is how I see the big picture about Fender plastics:

White is white, it's what it's always been since 1954 (I know it's not the same material anymorem but it's white and will age and become green/yellow).

I don't exactly like the "aged", almost créme looking parts. They just don't look right. Fender parts hardly ever age like that for real. I got them on my American Standard strat because it came with those, and I'm a bit OCD about not changing anything on that guitar. It's too good for me to mess with its purity. Call me an A-hole, but that's me.

Now, the parchment plastics serve a definite purpose. figure you have that 20 or 30 years old strat. The plastics are obviously faded, off-white and dusty. And for whatever reason, you have to replace the PG, knobs or tips. there you go: Fender sells parchment parts. I did that with my 1994 red strat, because I put a Emerson Custom prewired kit into it and the original knobs wouldn't fit. Parchment on, and it looks its age, quite all right.

Jesse414 and BW89Poplar like this.
  7. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I am assuming you did peel the plastic protective film off, right?

BW89Poplar, amstratnut and Tim S like this.
  8. BW89Poplar

initially, I thought maybe it did have a film on it, but it doesn't.
    that looks NICE!

peterbee likes this.
  9. BW89Poplar

Thanks, You know, lol, I've checked that a few times, but I don't see that it has film on the guard. If it's there, it's a fine layer of film.

Anyone get a new AmPRo with protective film on the pickguard?

Textele likes this.
  10. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Nay when it's on a white guitar, especially Olympic white. I like the guard to be the standard not discoloured WBW to show how the oly has gone creamy.

1.JPG

fattboyzz, Jesse414, JP68 and 2 others like this.
  11. BW89Poplar

I like the look of that Tele! sweet!

12. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I like my parchment. But doesn't seem blotchy or rubbery. Just kind of an off white.

BW89Poplar likes this.
  13. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

Depending on the guitar, I sometimes like parchment a lot. Haven't had one that seemed rubbery or blotchy, though, so I also wonder whether there's a film that you need to peel. Any new Fender should have one on there just waiting to be taken off.

14. BW89Poplar

ok, thjanks, guys - I'll give it a closer inspection with my bad vision....

Jesse414 likes this.
  15. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

The only parchment guard I have experience of is the one on my old Squier Strat, which was rescued from a friend’s garage, the plate having been, I assume, naturally aged. In these circumstances, I wouldn’t consider changing it, it’s very-much part of the guitars life story. Whether an ‘artificially aged’ guard looks right or has a place on a new instrument or not I’ve not considered. It is linked, I suspect, to the relic debate.

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Old
    Chinese restaurant joke ‘Oi!, waiter!, this chicken’s rubbery!’ ‘Oh, fank oo velly much!’ I’ll get my coat..........

BW89Poplar likes this.
  17. pwhite

pwhite Strat-O-Master

This is Parchment I think it looks good.

[​IMG]

18. Raphael256

Raphael256 Strat-Talker

Parchment has lovely creamy white shade, always yes

Tone Deaf likes this.
  19. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

Whats up with that whammy bar?

20. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

65DFFBC8-6A90-4617-9FEC-6DAA5E7B5583.jpeg
    This is a Fender Parchment guard, looks white until you put it next to a white one then you can see the difference, it’s a darker off white shade. The plastic has been changed to Fender aged white. I kind of like the Parchment, my other solid body electrics have white.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.