Join Strat-Talk Today

Paris?! nooooooo Im so sorry to see this

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by carver, Apr 15, 2019.

1. franklyn13

franklyn13 Strat-Talker

its up to 1 billion in donations so far

2. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm grateful that this post came from you, Chont, because I might have dismissed it as a frivolous comment otherwise. As it was, I followed your link, and I can now see exactly how the 3D modelling in Assassins Creed could help.

Earlier this evening, we were watching a program on TV where a dog had a large part of his diseased jaw replaced by a part manufactured using 3D printing. Maybe there will be a time in the future when really massive objects can be created the same way, and to a very high degree of authenticity.

Chont likes this.
  3. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

What the fire investigators are saying is that an electrical short related to the work being done caused the blaze.

Reminds me of a commercial building here. Work was being done in the attic, the crew broke for lunch and left a halogen worklight on.

Somehow it came in contact with something combustible, and the first sign of fire was when the flames broke through the roof.

The jackass who built it, didn't put the required firewalls in the attic so the fire spread across all 3 businesses. And even a professional fire department (all volunteer here- Kelleys Island Cellar Savers, "Haven't lost one yet") wouldn't have been able to save the building.

There was some speculation that the guy who built it had intentionally left out firewalls in case he ever needed a quick payoff (he would file for bankruptcy as soon as he was able- 7 years or whatever). And he was well known for ordering more materials than needed to divert to other jobs- ie. his own.

And I saw on the news the plan to rebuild will take 5 years. Not surprising since it took over 100 originally.

Biggest obstacle is that there aren't oak trees big enough to replace the timbers. Probably going to have to use metal and make it look like wood.

4. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Who knows?

Related side track: first printed heart

In a first, scientists have 3D printed a heart using human tissue. Though the heart is much smaller than a human's (it's only the size of a rabbit's), and there's still a long way to go until it functions like a normal heart, the proof-of-concept experiment could eventually lead to personalized organs or tissues that could be used in the human body, according to a study published Monday (April 15) in the journal Advanced Science.

https://www.livescience.com/65257-3d-printed-heart-human-tissue.html

Bob the builder and Mansonienne like this.
  5. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

I remember that. And it was lovingly restored. Hopefully Notre Dame can be restored similarly. No doubt it won't quite be the same, of course.

Very sad to see this.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Thrup'ny Bit and circles like this.
  6. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I saw that - amazing stuff. And that would definitely be better than clones.

Bob the builder likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.