Join Strat-Talk Today

Partscaster pics

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by josh owen, Aug 13, 2019.

1. josh owen

josh owen Strat-Talker

Body a Squier NC6 with original ceramics. Neck, Turners, and bridge 99 MIM Standard. 20190813_155035.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Is the red one the white one or is that backwards?

3. josh owen

josh owen Strat-Talker

Fender Standard MIM body and bridge. Squier VM neck. CTS 250k pots, 20190813_155312.jpg fender 5 way, Stratosphere house brand low output alnicos with unknown parts drawer double rail.

4. josh owen

josh owen Strat-Talker

Sorry, accident

5. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

I am lovin' the red one. Damn nice looking guitar!

6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

I suppose it sort of depends on what you consider a “partscaster” to be. To me, if you can call it “something”, then even if it’s fairly modified it’s not really a partscaster.

For instance, if I bought a new Fender Player Telecaster and immediately changed the pickups, pickguard, tuners, bridge saddles and even refinished it in another color, I would still consider it to be a Fender Player Telecaster.

But if I were to swap the neck with one from an entirely different model, then that would definitely be a partscaster.

I consider this to be the quintessential partscaster:

11AD6F95-14D6-4905-A95E-56EC43B9D06C.jpeg
    AB1092B9-4E8A-4DA8-B992-F71F11B4DFC3.jpeg

The parts were sourced from a wide variety of places:

2001 Squier SE Special Stratocaster body.

2013 Fender Modern Player Strat neck.

Squier Classic Vibe Alnico III 50s pickups.

Fender mint green pickguard, plastic parts, knobs, switch tip, pots and 5-way switch.

Fender MIM tremolo.

So that is clearly a partscaster. On the other hand, this next guitar has a 2003 Fender AVRI ‘52 Telecaster body but a 2011 Fender AVRI ‘52 Hot Rod Telecaster neck, and, even though it actually fits my previous criteria for being a partscaster, I still consider it to be more or less a Fender AVRI ‘52 Tele for whatever reason:

00FA92CB-6757-4987-B5B9-FCDF5520E4DC.jpeg

Then there’s this thing:

4F9CDF29-8679-46AE-89EF-4DF2025712DA.jpeg

It’s a 2004 Squier SE Special that has mutated into something completely different...

While the body and neck are original, they (along with practically everything else) have been dramatically changed/altered; The body was routed out for a neck humbucker and the control cavity modified to fit the bulkier electronics. The neck has been refinished with tinted lacquer and the second string tree was eliminated. If you look closely you can see the S-1 Volume switch and two mini push/push switches. The second tone pot is of a “no-load” type. It also has a MIM tremolo unit.

The humbuckers are Seymour Duncan’s (‘59 Model neck and Pearly Gates bridge) with a Fender Abigail Ybarra signed Custom Shop ‘69 single coil pickup sitting in the middle:

A6C97C31-8926-433F-B38D-B0AA9D5DD35E.jpeg

So it’s not really a Squier SE anymore, but it’s not exactly a partscaster either (since the body and neck still make up the majority of this guitar).

I suppose “super modified” might be the most accurate description - although I continuously refer to it as my Squier SE Special none the less...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Seymour Duncan and josh owen like this.
  7. josh owen

josh owen Strat-Talker

Thank you. Set up with higher action and low output alnicos, very smooth with a glass slide.

Bowmap likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.