Partscaster question

93studiolite

Strat-Talker
Mar 15, 2017
Florida
Hey guys,

I’ve got a quick question about putting together a partscaster tele. I currently have a classic series 60’s neck with the heel adjustment. I was looking at bodies the other day and noticed one that had a notch in the neck pocket where the adjustment screw for the neck would be located. I know I can put my neck on most any tele body, but do I need the notch? If I do, I’ll just plan on cutting one into which ever body I get. Thanks.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Hey guys,

I’ve got a quick question about putting together a partscaster tele. I currently have a classic series 60’s neck with the heel adjustment. I was looking at bodies the other day and noticed one that had a notch in the neck pocket where the adjustment screw for the neck would be located. I know I can put my neck on most any tele body, but do I need the notch? If I do, I’ll just plan on cutting one into which ever body I get. Thanks.
You don't need the notch, you can't get a screwdriver in there anyway.

57Strat777

Strat-O-Master
Feb 23, 2015
Texas
If you have this type of screw driver, you can easily adjust the truss rod on a vintage design Telecaster (like in post #3) by removing the pick guard.

61CnlNySdRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

lbpesq

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2014
California
I’d say you have two choices. Either modify the body sufficiently that you can get the appropriate truss rod adjustment tool in there, or leave it and plan on removing the neck to adjust the truss rod. Obviously, adjustment without neck removal is far more convenient - I’ve never understood Leo’s choice in this regard. If you go with neck removal, you might want to consider using inserts and machine screws instead of wood screws to mount the neck. I use these on all my builds which are, essentially, “partscasters” in that I don’t manufacture bodies (yet) or necks. They hold tighter than wood screws and alleviate the potential problem of stripping the wood. Any luthier can do it, or you can do it yourself fairly easily if you are handy and have access to a drill press.

Bill, tgo