Partscaster

Ian Ashdown

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2019
San Clemente, CA
I’m try to think of a bad reason not to rout a channel between the jack cavity and the main cavity so all the solder connections can be made separate from the body.

It would make switching loaded pickguard easy . . .

Ian
SoCal

Dreamdancer

Senior Stratmaster
May 1, 2014
Greece
Well thats actually a plan but realistically it wouldnt make it THAT much easier(strings are still in the way) and the guitar ll look uglier....how would you cover the channel....with a plastic part of something similar?A member here was using modular pickguards for a strat......but i cant remember who or the manufacturer....the real question though is to think if you are actually saving time or its pretty much the same...

For me personally unless there is something like this that i can mount on the fly....doing it the..old fashion way is about the same time...

Dibbs

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 8, 2020
North Central Florida
Just set up covers to protect your guitar body, when soldering the jack. Unless you are going to be changing pickguards, on a regular basis. Seems like borrowing trouble, to me. Then you have more area to try to shield from 60 cycle hum, also.

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
The best thing I've seen for this is this. It requires no modifications to your guitar, though I chose to use brass ferrules for the screws, and I can change the pickguard assy in less than 5 minutes without even detuning the guitar if my strings are stretched in.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
The best thing I've seen for this is this. It requires no modifications to your guitar, though I chose to use brass ferrules for the screws, and I can change the pickguard assy in less than 5 minutes without even detuning the guitar if my strings are stretched in.

I'm expecting some work from them today. The project is to make it possible to convert my EC series 2 with the noiseless pups, to a series 1 with the Fender Lace Golds and back without altering the guitar so that it can be returned to stock when/if I sell it.

I'll post pics one I get all the parts. Getting one pick guard to test for fit/screw alignment today as the design required a bit of modification for an 8 hole guard. But Stephen is great to work with, so I'm pretty confident this will turn out great.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
I’m try to think of a bad reason not to rout a channel between the jack cavity and the main cavity so all the solder connections can be made separate from the body.

It would make switching loaded pickguard easy . . .

Ian
SoCal

Easier to just put a barrel connector on the jack leads in the control cavity. Then when switching pickguards you can use the right size barrel connector to fit the bullet and crimp the other sides on the ground/power leads off the controls. The marine barrel connectors even come made with shrink wrap so you can heat em for a tight seal, but you can always just crimp it to make removing it easier if you don't want it.

EDIT: @Ian Ashdown - I had been using stuff around my shop for that method but went to look for a picture and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T33BFX4/?tag=strattalk05-20

8-9-2021 9-11-41 AM.jpg 8-9-2021 9-12-00 AM.jpg

Even better. 320 pcs male and female bullet connectors, specifically made to go together in various wire sizes. $20 bucks. Should last you a lifetime. For a completely modular solution I'd still use Atheris but just to make jack connections easier? These will do the trick.

Copper connectors and made to shrink for a tight fit.

Last edited: