Partying in 1979??

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Jul 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

:eek::eek::eek:

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm. 79? I was a freshly minted A&P mechanic, learning to work on helicopters, living in a cheap apt in Crowley, LA. Work, eat, sleep, play the banjo. I drove a used Dodge Ram mini-truck (aka Mitsubishi).

I didn't get drunk, didn't do drugs, didn't own a TV. We worked rotating shifts: 10 days on, 5 days off. Repeat, switch to 2nd shift. Lather, rinse and repeat.

I drove home (500+ mi) for my 5 days off (wasted on rotten/evil girlfriend). Played a lot of pinball & arcade games.

ZlurkCorzDog and Stonetone like this.
  3. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I was 19. So yeah, lots of parties. Learning to play guitar at keg parties with 100s of your best friends

3bolt79 and Stonetone like this.
  4. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

That looks familiar....

And these....

Screenshot_20210724-101657~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2021
    ZlurkCorzDog, Stonetone and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

It was a great year for me to get married and see Queen and ZZ Top and Jethro Tull at the Inglewood Forum.

there was a lot of “Green Triangle” weed that year. Dazed and confused…

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I did all my wild stuff before 1979. By then I was one year into our first house. Raised three kids there and two grandchildren as well

My oldest grandson is now raising his four in that house. But oh boy, the years before that. Was about that close to being a stone alcoholic while rolling some of my favorite stuff.

Getting a bit old for that stuff now, so it's a cold beer on a hot day with some noodling thrown in.

Groovey and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I was in the 5th grade. 10 years old. Girl next door was a senior in high school. She taught me some things that she could get arrested for now. No partying. Got drunk for the first time at my cousin’s wedding. Had my first hangover as well the next day.

8. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

Those wall telephones always bring me sweet memories. And some houses actually had a piece of furniture that was kind of a cross between a chair and a table, just for the phone.

3bolt79 and Willmunny like this.
  9. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Well that went downhill quickly. Read the forum rules everyone, please. Drugs cannot be discussed.

10. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

Edit. Not worth it.

Mansonienne likes this.
  11. marshallfender

marshallfender Strat-Talker

12. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

1979 was pretty good until early June. Then everything suddenly became very loud and bright . . . and the purchasing power of the USD began to steadily decline and hasn't stopped since.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    Yes let's not get too graphic, please.

I was 14-15 in 1979, just starting to party and listen to rock. Had a massive (unrequited) crush on a guy who wrote a record review column for the youth supplement of the local newspaper. He also lent me a bunch of records. I owe him my love of the Kinks, Mott the Hoople, Tom Petty, Pink Floyd, etc.
    Didn't really start partying until 1980.
    One of the things we'd do occasionally is procure some beer and go bike riding, stopping in various places to drink one.
    Once we'd stopped on the university campus and a cop showed up. We'd finished the beer and my friend had thrown the bag with the cans into the bushes when the patrol car showed up.
    The cop asked what we were doing, we said hanging out. He shined his spotlight around, saw the bag, asked if it was ours. My friend blurted out "I've never seen that bag before in my life!" I could have kicked him. Cops told us to get lost and we hopped on our bikes and sped out of there. Probably went back to my friend's apt to light up and listen to music. We did lot of that. Small town. There'd be the occasional keg party.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    3bolt79, duzie and nutball73 like this.
  14. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

My apologies, I meant tripping OVER my balls.
    Ymmv

3bolt79 and Jmart1212 like this.
  15. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Dunno so much about '79 but I can tell ya what '73/74 was like.

First it was the whole 18 yo drinking age. Cousin was 14 years old but had a paying gig tending bar downtown. Nobody gave a crap. Neither did I, I went to grade school in Berlin and had been drinking beer since the early '60s because the local water sucked ass.

Then there's seeing Jethro Tull in concert for three bucks with Steeleye Span. Seeing Yes in concert and waking up in a field somewhere in western new york. Seeing The Who with a brand new warmup band nobody had ever heard of named Lynyrd Skynyrd (I think that one was five bucks). Then waking up on the side of the road, seatbelt still on not remembering which side of the us/canada border I was on. Seeing the Rolling Stones for $10 and watching Keith Richards down a full quart of JD by himself during the first set. And of course the big show at Watkins Glen with all the craziness that went on there.

After that it was Emerson, Lake & Palmer, ShaNaNa, Commander Cody & the Lost Planet Airmen, Blue Oyster Cult, Chick Corea, Chuck Mangione, Billy Joel, Ted Nugent, J Geils Band, Starship, Frank Zappa, the list goes on and I've forgotten most of 'em. About the only one not on is Led Zep and I still don't know how that happend, or rather didnt ...

As to basic partying, Disco was cool in 1975 for about three weeks. Great to see the cute babes all dressed up and have the whole by-then preposterous hippie thing done and outta there. Then it sucked ass once saturday night fever hit the screens.

Then I graduated, got married and things changed. Probably for the best. 1977 was Blondie, Talking Heads and the Ramones. 1980 my son arrived and then stuff really changed. Started playing out five nights a week for extra cash while holding down a day job, watched it all go to gear. Next thing I knew it's today.

Still have most of the gear though.

Willmunny likes this.
  16. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

December 1978. I had just turned 17. Some of my friends were over. We gathered up all of our tools for display on my Ampeg V4.

78V4_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2021
    duzie likes this.
  17. bbigd0

bbigd0 Strat-Talk Member

There were LOTS of gigs -everywhere. I played one joint for a year. Fun & reliable. Good crowds.

18. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

My bands promo pic 1979
    upload_2021-7-24_16-44-45.jpeg
    Thats me back row center

StratoMutt and Willmunny like this.
  19. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Oh.

In 79 we had a lot of milk and cookie parties (chocolate chip that is)

20. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

What is the use of having good stories if we can't share them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.