Join Strat-Talk Today

patch cords looped over rear strap button...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gcconspiracy, Feb 10, 2009.

1. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

This is probably the stupidest question ever, but I am curious as to why all the bands I see live play with their patch cords looped over the rear strap button (on the butt-end of the guitar) between the strap and the body of the guitar. I figure it's something simple (like, to keep them from stepping on it, or to keep the jack from getting ripped out if the patch gets tugged on), but if you know, I'd love to figure this one out.

-gcc

2. gcconspiracy

3. bruceffect

bruceffect Strat-Talk Member

It's so it don't get yanked out when you're jumpin' around like a monkey. You'll also see guys without strap locks put duct tape over the strap and button to keep the strap from coming undone.

4. hendrixfan

hendrixfan Senior Stratmaster

think you just have lol

5. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

In some cases, it's because they're using a wireless connection.

6. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim Strat-O-Master

I do it to keep from stepping on the cable when I'm flailing around while playing. It sort of keeps the cord behind me, as opposed to in front of me where I can step on it.

7. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

Yep, it's definitely to keep the cable in the jack while you're thrashing onstage. I learned that lesson the hard way unfortunately. I have size 13 shoes, so my cable can run from them but it can't hide lol.

8. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I've always done it that way. The few times I was lazy and didn't I stepped on the cord and yanked it out violently. Once you hear a few hundred watts of bass amp groaning from a cord that is yanked out of your guitar you don't want to ever do it again.

9. Release

Release Strat-Talker

That's why I do it too

10. Poseidon9447

Poseidon9447 Strat-O-Master

I always do it, gives a little more slack if you catch it on something, also keep cord following you around better. Everyone when I lived in PA did it, when I moved to FL no one does it around here. I once had another guitarist tell me my cord was tangled. He did not loop his cords and never heard of it. Different places different things we do.

11. Release

Release Strat-Talker

It drives me nuts when I see someone on stage and it's NOT tucked back there! I keep waiting for them to step on it and pull it out. It actually makes me nervous and takes away form their performance! LOL

12. SDStrat

SDStrat Strat-Talker

I always loop the cord, with some slack.

13. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

Exactly. Not to mention the thousands of watts that the club's sound system is putting out. I did it before, and it's like a punch in the chest to everyone in the room.

14. gcconspiracy

thanks for the prompt responses guys, I had my suspicions, but you've confirmed them. I'm gonna have to try this out, as I'm always stepping on my cord, and ripping it out when I get too "enthusiastic" with my playing!

15. Jefro

Jefro Senior Stratmaster

I'm 50/50... 1/2 the time thou I'm just lazy and plug directly into the guitar vs looping it over the back button.

Sometimes I also jump from guitar - guitar randomly and prefer just plugging straight in and out etc... But I don't jump all around like a mad man so I don't normally step on the cord, but I do plan sitting down quite a bit in which case it don't matter.

16. faststrat02

faststrat02 Strat-Talk Member

Exactly.... Love my strap locks...mine came with my guitar :)

17. Canadian Charli

Canadian Charli Strat-Talk Member

I use a wireless system but before that it was looped over rear strap button. I always seem to be walking on my cords.

Charlie

18. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Strat-O-Master

You should remember to do this with your amp end too (just loop it through the handle). My bass player has stepped on the cord on the ground by the amp, and ripped the whole jack contraption out of the control plate.

19. Eight Ball

Eight Ball Strat-Talker

Clapton usually uses a samson wireless pack which is in a little pouch that is attached to his ernie ball polypro straps, he links the guitar to it via a patch cable and away he goes. :)

For when cabled it's probably part down to habit and part down to the fact that it stops the cable yanking out. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.