Pau Ferro?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by KoreGeneral, Nov 18, 2020.

1. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

I guess you're right. If there is no "market demand" why increase the production cost?
    But - I have no idea how much higher "bulk-price" for rosewood is (for Fender) compared to Pau Ferro, and how much it will increase the price of a guitar.
    Maybe they'll try out some model(s) to see if the market accept the price diff.

Even though it might not have any benefits compared to PF, rosewood is more common known, have better looks (my opinion) and probably easier to "sell".

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

To me, if you just HAVE to have rosewood.. there have been enough rosewood fretboard strats and teles made since the late '50s, to have plenty for every guitarist for the next century.

It's far from a rarity.

Tguitarfloyd and Opj77 like this.
  3. pblanton

pblanton Strat-Talk Member

I have a Squier Contemporary Active that has an Indian Laurel fretboard and I think it is great. It's got a lighter look than rosewood, but has this sexy, streaky look to it.

I also have two old American Strats - 1964 and 1978 with Rosewood and a 2014 MIM HSS with Maple; as well as a partscaster consisting of a new Chinese maple neck on a 2002 American body.

They all have their own personality, but the Indian Laurel is by no means a lesser fretboard. It darkened a little when I oiled it, but has lightened back up to original over the ensuing months.

nickmsmith likes this.
  4. VinceC

VinceC New Member!

It is about the stiffness of the wood. Rosewood is Stiffer. Brazilian Stiffer Than Indian. A stiffer surface changes the vibration, improving the sustain, increases the brightness. A pedal can only amplify what is there. One Million times 0 is still ZERO.

stilesg57 and KoreGeneral like this.
  5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

respectfully,
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Anacharsis likes this.
  6. pblanton

pblanton Strat-Talk Member

Rosewood Necks:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079TBH514/?tag=strattalk05-20 - $143
    Ebay Search shows lots: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=rosewood+strat+neck

Here's one for $260 that's a single piece of ALL ROSEWOOD: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=363124470631 Imagine how good that's got to sound! ;)

Tguitarfloyd and nickmsmith like this.
  7. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

As I've mentioned a few times - the restrictions were eased on the finished instruments so they no longer have to have the paperwork that proves it's one of the restricted and not banned species of rosewood, but they were not eased on the importing of the raw rosewood - so they still have to have all the paperwork when they buy their stockpiles of rosewood, which is going to drive up the cost a bit. It's not huge, but Fender and the other companies have probably set a certain price point where instruments above that price get rosewood and instruments below that price get Pau Ferro, Indian Laurel, etc.

8. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

I don’t have gifted ears that can hear a tonal difference between rosewood and pau ferro when an electric guitar plays through an amp, especially as you adjust the tone knobs around on the amp and guitar. Not saying it’s impossible to hear it, just that I can’t.

But what you state begs the question.

Can you hear the tonal difference between two different pieces of rosewood when playing through an amp? Does a dark piece of rosewood sound differently to you than a lighter colored piece of rosewood? Just curious.

Also, it’s fine for you to call your strat “masterbuilt” to your friends and on forums and stuff, I guess. But, if you ever describe it that way when selling one, it would be completely unethical...as I am sure you know already.

Tguitarfloyd, bicaster and nickmsmith like this.
  9. Torvald

Torvald Strat-Talker

I sort of doubt that. How are you quantifying stiffness? According to John Suhr and Tom Anderson, Pao Ferro is stiffer than Rosewood. I heard that Kansas Pisswood is really stiff too.

Deafsoundguy, Hydr0 and nickmsmith like this.
  10. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

Yea, but the problem with pisswood is that you can only find it when you wake up in the morning :D

11. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

If you, or anyone, can prove that you can tell the difference in a blind test, I'll believe you. Even if what you say is theoretically true, if no one can actually tell the difference by ear, it's a moot point.

bicaster and StratoMutt like this.
  12. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

Goes both ways;)

stilesg57 likes this.
  13. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talker

This might be the best post I’ve ever read on this site.

bicaster and WhiteWabbit like this.
  14. cjpeck

cjpeck Strat-O-Master

only in this case the burden of providing evidence is on the cat who said "I can totally hear the difference in fretboard woods".

Colour me skeptical.

Tunkkis, ratdoc, bicaster and 2 others like this.
  15. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

yep, it goes all ways. The person making extraordinary claims should provide something backing it up. The guitar world is especially full of "tone" nonsense, though.. so I'm used to unsubstantiated nonsense.

Tunkkis and bicaster like this.
  16. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

Haven't listened to them, but I vehemently disagree with anybody who ridicules anybody else's playing. Music is supposed to be fun, joyful, and uplifting and not a source of conflict, derision, and competition. We have elections for that... :)

rocknrollrich and elduderinoTF like this.
  17. VinceC

VinceC New Member!

18. beeflin

beeflin Strat-Talk Member

I used to be convinced that Ritchie Blackmore always played a rosewood board Strat from In Rock onwards, because I'd seen one or two photos. Later I discovered that not only was he seen many times in the early 70's playing maple boards, In Rock was at least partly played on his 335, Child In Time especially.

Tunkkis, bicaster and Guitarmageddon like this.
  19. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Strat-Talker

Pay Ferro is an excellent rosewood family of fretboard materials, in many cases, much better than EAST INDIAN ROSEWOOD- yes, there has been major restrictions on many rosewoods in general.

20. davidd47

davidd47 Strat-Talk Member

Personally I like PF but I prefer BR. PF to my ear sounds like the best of maple and rosewood together. I am lucky enough to be able to change necks, bodies and loaded pickgaurds from every era on a weekly basis if I feel like it and there is a difference between the sonic signature of maple and rosewood/ Alder and Ash but it is a subtle difference. I really think that in the world of big effects pedalboards and modeling that wood makes even less of a difference. My Parker Fly and AxeFX is all the proof I need for that. That guitar sounds like junk through a clean tube amp without massive EQ manipulation. If I really want to change fundamental sonic differences I look at pickups, EQ and amps first. But if I am plugged straight into an older Fender tube amp like a '64 VibroVerb the tone will be different with different woods on a very clean setting, once gain and effects are added that difference is lost. This guys opinion is as valid as everyone else and some folks have a better grasp on subtle tone variances from wood than others. Tone deaf and intonation challenged players are abundant and the only proof about woods and tones anyone needs is their own beliefs. Let the guy troll ya'll all you want but it will just frustrate you. Lindy Fralin says "the wood is the voice of a guitar and pickups are just microphones" but if you have ever recorded you know different mics can be deal breakers for even the best tones. Get a good amp, then good pickups and see where your tone goes from there. Plastic guitars are right around the corner and my guess is they will be all the rage.o_O

rocknrollrich likes this.