Pau Ferro?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by KoreGeneral, Nov 18, 2020.

1. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

Ooof... this thread...

facepalm-polar-bear.jpg

2. Whitebeard

Whitebeard Strat-Talk Member

This company will custom build you a Strat neck with dark Indian rosewood. Price range from $225.00 (standard Fender specs but w/dark rosewood upgrade) and up depending on what additional options you choose. They are licensed by Fender to manufacturer fender parts. They do excellent work. https://musikraft.com/

JJ119 likes this.
  3. Twobeers

Twobeers Strat-Talk Member

Restrictions regarding Rosewood were removed for musical instruments recently! Just before the pandemic hit.

JJ119 and KoreGeneral like this.
  4. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talk Member

Worth noting a few things. The amount of wood used for guitar fretboards, all 2.5 million of them, is minimal compared to that used for furniture, building, etc. In essence, guitars are a tiny portion of rain forest lumber destruction. Even ebony, which is my preferred fretboard wood of choice, is endangered not because of guitar building, but because of furniture and other uses. Most ebony (perhaps 80%) is left to rot on forest floors after illegal poaching because it isn't completely black.

Out of half a hundred guitars I currently own, perhaps one of them has a maple fretboard. It's not "more stable in humidity and temperature fluctuations," sorry, and needs to be finished in order to be protected from invasion by dirt, moisture, etc. The maple *necks* I own are mostly laminated (three or more pieces of opposite grain wood with stringers of other woods in between), including those on several very high-end Gibson guitars, Moonstone guitars and even a top of the line Samick from the early '90's.

And Global Rain Forests are vanishing not because of over-foresting and lumber removal, but because they're being burned to create large areas of cattle-grazing pasture. Brazil's president has been looking the other way as vast areas have been ruined, possibly forever, to create revenues for his cattle industry friends and to service the appetites of beef-eating humans.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  5. StratoMutt

You want dark rosewood? I know of a guy who might help...

LOLSpinY.gif

upload_2020-11-20_14-30-21.png

6. dspellman

Torrified maple is created using basically the same process as creating charcoal -- heating in a low-oxygen environment. It's pretty, it's dimensionally more stable. But in order to produce that stability, maple gives up some things. It becomes embrittled and loses strength and depending on several factors in the process, the wood can check and become unusable.

7. dspellman

8. StratoMutt

I think a sharpie would have worked better. :D

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  9. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

I don't think there's a big sound difference, and I have guitars with rosewood necks. I like how they feel, but I likely won't buy any more.

Most of my guitars have maple necks, and all but one has either an ash, alder, or basswood body. I bought my Gretsch Electromatics before they switched away from rosewood, but I've played ones with alternate woods that sounded and felt great.

10. Anacharsis

They aren't really bolts. They're wood screws. So..."masterscrewer?"

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  11. Anacharsis

Yes, but that change:

1. Does not apply to Brazilian rosewood, and
    2. Does not exempt manufacturers from documenting their supplies of raw rosewood - meaning the work burdens associated with rosewood remain high

So as noted many times above, you'l likely only see it on higher end instruments from here on out.

12. Anacharsis

Truth. Not eating beef (unless you verify local sourcing) is a much more significant step to protect forests than is not buying a rosewood fretboard guitar.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  13. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

Can you provide any links to quantitative analyses that support your contention? I've been reading about this stuff for years and have never come across any reputable source confirming that torrified maple is less strong or more brittle.

StratoMutt likes this.
  14. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Gym rats and their bro science cant hold a candle to the guitarists and their tonewoods....

bicaster and JJ119 like this.
  15. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Do you know the environmental impact of eating vegetarian?
    Look it up. More creatures die (by a huge number more) from clearing fields and keeping them pest free, for crops, than livestock.
    Mass farming (commercial)is not environmentally friendly..... at all.

bsman likes this.
  16. KoreGeneral

KoreGeneral Strat-Talker

Masterscrewer:cool:

bsman likes this.
  17. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

"the good place" TV show put it in perspective pretty well. There's hardly anyone that lives a life that doesn't contribute to destruction, or benefit from past or present wrongdoings.

18. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @KoreGeneral

I had difficulty hearing the guitar parts in your songs.

There appeared to be a ton of delay effect. ?

Maybe experiment some with EQ adjustment.

KoreGeneral likes this.
  19. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

Actually the very best thing humans can do from an environmental perspective is to wear a freaking rubber. The problem isn't ranching or farming - it's overpopulation which ends up requiring an ever-increasing proportion of arable land to be dedicated to food production.

Tguitarfloyd and StratoMutt like this.
  20. KoreGeneral

KoreGeneral Strat-Talker

:thumbd::thumbd::thumbd: