Paul Reed Smith Guitars are great ......

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by The-Kid, May 26, 2021.

1. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

I may have missed something cause I didn’t read the whole thread. I guess the point I’d like to make for Mr. Paul Reed Smith is he succeeded in combining a Les Paul and a Strat into one functional guitar. The double cutaway of a Strat married to the fat arched maple over mahogany topped butt of a Les Paul. The 5 way switch with 2 LP, 2 Strat and 1 Tele sound is pretty damn handy on stage. I drove a Custom 22 for a while. Oh heck you even get a whammy bar that stays in tune on top of a guitar that plays flawlessly. Remember Gibson was pooping the bed for many years and PRS was pushing quality instruments.

Now I’m not a fan of the Silversky cause it is a Strat ripoff. I don’t think it helped PRS’s image as much as he thought it would.

So to reiterate PRS gets big points for successfully creating a LP/Strat guitar that people actually buy.

6AC061F3-BA61-435D-9792-909D281DC347.jpeg

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    ooglybong, sisq61, Tone Deaf and 3 others like this.
  2. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

PRS make gorgeous guitars, IMHO. Espescially, like all high end makers their high end model (as shown in above posts).

I've never owned one myself but sure would!

A friend of mine once had a Ace Frehley signature Les Paul. He brought it down to show me once. After a few minutes of noodling about I began to notice a few things. Pickups misalinged, Gibson logo shady, ect. I didn't wanna say anything in case he spent $5k (here where I sit, anyway) for an AF LP!

Turns out it was fake, he knew all along and was just taking the fuzz outta me.

THOSE copies are where we should be directing any grievance we have toward! They are being pumped outta some offshore factory shipped worldwide (I know a website where you can legit buy these things shipped to your door ~ out of respect I won't post it but if you don't believe me feel free to PM and ask for it) These aren't "one off" copies some con artist in some back alley is trying to pawn off. They are being produced, as I type this with 'authentic' Gibson or Fender logos. I'd be happy to have PRS on my headstock.

PRS (i've read his book ~ I highly recommend it) has never claimed to have reinvented the wheel. But using that analogy, You better post a picture of your Fords because you better not be driving a Dodge or Toyota, Nissian, Chyrsler....Jeep.....or even a nice sleek Lambo. All of which, in a roundabout way are rip off of Ford's Model A.

Variety is the spice of life.

Now ~ I do agree that some builders like PRS and ESP for example have models that scream rip-off.....the John Mayer model, and google ESP's Vintage Plus series......Ronnie Wood for a while used those....IMO, I'd probably stay away from them myself. If I wanted an ESP (and I DO LOL) it's a neck thru shredder......a PRS hasta be a McCarty for me. Or maybe a 513.

Whew.......all this before my first cuppa java!

ooglybong, Andmyaxe and Stratoskater like this.
  3. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Stunning!

4. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-O-Master

I've played many,
    Ain't buyin' any.

FuzzFace90 likes this.
  5. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I'd guess that about 80% of all modern electric guitars have a general body shape based on either a Les Paul or a Strat. Why not rant about Guilds or Hamers?

I've owned a few Gibsons over the years, just got my first PRS last fall. IMO it doesn't feel or sound like either a Les Paul or a Strat. It's something else. I like it a lot, and will be getting another PRS when I can come up with the fundage.

ooglybong, Tone Deaf and Stratoskater like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Players want to buy LPs and Strats. So that is what PRS keeps gravitating to produce. They are what sell. If you've seen enough PRS interviews you'll realize he is a little bit like a balloon continuously filling with air that has to squeak out little off-handed pressure just to keep from bursting. One interview his side comment was that his biggest selling models were the ones closest to other designs which are their four knob single-cuts and Strat-like-objects.

PRS used to fear cutting too close to the classic guitar shapes until Gibson took PRS to court the last time -- Gibson gave them the verdict for how close they could actually get without further court expense. Gibson's lawyer team created Gibson's biggest competitive threat. They taught PRS that it's all in the headstock.

The 'PRS Design' was created, per Paul himself, by printing out the shapes of both a Strat and Les Paul on the same sheet of paper and drawing a new line right between those two.

Hammer guitars seems to have been the source for the body top wood selection, staining, and finishing -- the styling. 'The birds' is probably the most unique feature, which has become a polarizing love/hate issue for players.

PRS is a prisoner of selling guitar designs that buyers demand. Just like Gibson is a prisoner of selling fragile headstocks that break because they fear buyers will object to 'changing the formula'. Or how all guitar brands are prisoners of using exotic woods inspite of the environmental impact that building three million guitars a year has on demand for pulling old growth lumber from already damaged rain forests while simultaneously exploiting low wage lumber workers in those countries. Buyers can demand change. Start by getting a maple fretboard, then ease into other low cost, more local, rapidly replenishing lumber species. Tell the guitar factories you want MIA wood to support local lumber industry jobs just like you want MIA guitar builders.

FuzzFace90, Andmyaxe, fos1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

They are fine guitars and all and I get they rock but I mean sometimes you hear Paul Reed Smith talking about a new design or any PRS guitar and it sounds like he thinks he reinvented the wheel or something.

Am I missing something? Are PRS Les Paul copies/clones and now PRS Strat copies/clones that revolutionary or radically different than their Gibson and Fender counterparts?

The Single Cuts are very pretty Gibson clones and their S Types are just strats with funny shaped headstocks IMO.[/QUOTE]
    Not a fan of his headstock on the Strat models. A
    The headstock on his Strats are ugly.

8. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Basically they aren't.

He took the best features of them both and combined them. A longer scale length, no bad neck break, a mahogany body with a maple cap that's figured and contoured.

Maybe the SC245 is (because it's literally a single cut 24.5 inch scale length). But the guitar that gained him the clout was not that guitar. It was basically a custom 24. Which really is but isn't either of those.

ooglybong, Andmyaxe and Stratoskater like this.
  9. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

They’re just Fing awesome guitars.

26AF181F-511B-4024-8862-F5131DD07FC6.jpeg 1248DFA8-FB3E-4440-BA6D-7B652867DF18.jpeg 38866DA3-FE0B-42DC-BA74-513F721111F0.jpeg 06211C2C-1802-4D4B-B3EE-056FE81994BE.jpeg B5C95FEA-9DCB-4600-B3F8-F8FA899C83C0.jpeg

10. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

Keep in mind in the 70's, Gibson and Fender quality went down, as their prices went up. I played used 60's guitars, as did most players. People were turning to Japan for an affordable, quality guitar. Considering the state of guitar manufacturing in the 80's, Paul Reed Smith was pretty innovative.

11. Stratoskater

As far as the Silver Sky there are several interviews and videos out there that fully explains its origin and why John left fender. He and Paul work far better together since they are both huge gear heads. Paul spent 18 months building the super eagle for John for Dead and Co tours then almost 3 years building the SS. They worked on the pickups for 18 months and built 30 something prototypes.

Nate D and SalvorHardin like this.
  12. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

Not intending to be rude but to me it's only Custom 24 and HB that matters in Paul Reed Smith line.

As cool as Silver Sky may be I would go with Fender regardless (I still own strats and has a strong Fender bone in my body) same goes to Single Cut - same time I never had a bonner for a Gibson. I'm after guitars with strong DNA and CU24 / HB fit the bill alright. Sure inspiration was always there but both models have enough personality to deserve it's place in guitar history.

Besides Core models are almost £4k - hardly a knockoff price range, man

The-Kid and Stratoskater like this.
  13. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

The Strat/LP copy comments are fair, (but really who hasn't ripped these off).

What I've had my eye on though is a nice Koa semi-hollow. Not really something you can get from Fender or Gibson. And as about as close to a Trey Anastasio Languedoc clone you can get from a mass-produced guitar. That would round out my current rotation (LP and Strat) quite nicely.

Stratoskater likes this.
  14. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

The custom 24 is an original design. Many would say he tried to marry the best of a LP and a Fender with it but I think it goes beyond that. They are top quality American made guitars. That being said, I've never bonded with one or owned one. I've played many. (mostly because they are so striking) but have yet to be blown away. The 2 that I've played that ever raised my eyebrows was a Grissom sig I came across once and a JM silver sky. I can get past the headstock. The JM Silver Sky is a quality "off the line" strat. When I'm in the market for a rosewood board strat one day, I'll be giving them a hard look. Same goes for Suhr strats. Some of them are outstanding. And if you rub the Suhr headstock a genie pops out. Its a win, win.

Stratoskater likes this.
  15. Stratoskater

That’s what I want a Hollowbody PRS for, get my Trey on. I bought a SE Hollowbody II back in February. It’s very nice, especially for the price but I doesn’t stack up to the 594 Hollowbody or the Core Hollowbody II.

GhostJam47 likes this.
  16. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

I strongly oppose this PRS bashing. PRS hasn't cloned his guitars any more than Ibanez, Jackson, ESP or frankly any other maker.

The scale length, 25", makes the guitar so much more playable than Fenders or Gibsons. Bends are effortless and in tune. It feels natural to play and doesn't fight you.

The tremolos are far more advanced than Fender. They are rock solid and stay in tune all the time, no problem.

The headstock angle provides good break. No string trees, and I have never seen a headstock break. Gibbies break all the time.

The headstock also provides a nice straight string path, similar to Fender, but you just can't say it rips off anyone.

The electronics are different, with a treble bleed and resistors in the coil splitting circuit that make it sound better.

The necks feel very comfortable. They have a nice roll to the sides and edges that feel distinctive and comfortable. It's instantly noticeable.

The look is very nice. I like the flame and quilt, and there are tons of colors.

They even have piezo models that sound good straight to the board with no processing.

I would wager lits of players who are calling them clones have never played one.

niratias, SurfsUp, ooglybong and 8 others like this.
  17. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Maybe I don't understand what "reinventing the wheel" means.

They are nice guitars. I never wanted one until I happened to pick up a used S2 hanging at my local GC, I was honestly blown away by the feel, but then not so much by the tone. But they feel nice enough that I'm even willing to overlook some of the gaudiness, like with my funky green Zach Myers SE. (Still waiting on my backorder Seth Lovers for that guitar.)

I've heard Paul drone on about his products, he seems to enjoy that aspect of his work. I don't let it detract from what the guitars are.

All these companies copy each other. There's several iterations of Teles that are LP clones, not to mention all the other LP clones out there. The HM Strats are obviously clones of some other shredders. It never ends. So I guess the difference is that Paul is a little too into himself?

ooglybong, Stratoskater and The-Kid like this.
  18. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I have been lucky enough to own 5 core US models over the years, all were fantastic, but I didn't bond with any of them, so they all went, just as I haven't bonded with MusicMan guitars or Hamer guitars - all of which were amazing instruments that I didn't keep.

The man himself I have never liked, and I never liked the heavy marketing with signature SE models of players that were basically average on a very good day. But whatever you say, he took guitar building to a higher level, especially with the first SE range.

I never played a bad PRS or PRS SE, and the SE Santana (22 frets, 24.5" scale and trem) I consider to be one of the best guitars out there.

Anthemjrd and Stratoskater like this.
  19. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

They spent 3 years building the Silver Sky and worked on pups for 18 months and made 30 prototypes.

Thats great but its still a bunch of goblety goop. I mean the guitar could be great and everything and a killer but its just a S-Type......

Like is Yamaha Guitar Division, Shur, Ibanez, Shecter, ESP pretending they reinvented strats, les pauls and teles by putting modern hardware and features on them.......No...

They just make modern versions of them and they dont pretend otherwise.

These guitars are great quality and great players but I just think its funny is all. Like you can feel when they do that "and we worked so hard on this new design, like I just had a coffee enema, drank some funny tea that made me see weird things and had a spiritual journey in the desert for a whole week with no water or food before I had a vision for a new guitar thats the baZzztest ever..... We call it the Silver Sky"....

Random guy:"okay so its just a Strat right?!?!"

Paul Reed Smith:"No, its an innovative new design and its called the Silver Sky"

Sure guy.....

Sure.

Its just funny lol

FuzzFace90 likes this.
  20. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Here's the only PRS I own - an SE EG. It's a very good "strat", with some interesting modifications:

- set neck (nice and chunky, has never needed truss rod adjusting)
    - the best rosewood fretboard I've ever had on any guitar of any make
    - HSS, with good tones in 2 and 4
    - two knobs (volume and tone - I've never seen the point of separate tones on strats)
    - the PRS bridge (which is more precise and reliable than a Fender one)

Before you all get offended, I still like my regular strats, but you could definitely say this has improvements from my perspective. It's a bit sterile, though.

20200207_141436.jpg

Andmyaxe, chicago slim and nigelr like this.