Paul Reed Smith Guitars are great ......

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by The-Kid, May 26, 2021.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

As good as the guitars are the point is Yamaha Guitar Division, Shur, Ibanez, Shecter, ESP etc etc are not pretending they reinvented strats, les pauls and teles by putting modern hardware and features on them and changing their look somewhat.......No...

They just make modern versions of them and they dont pretend otherwise. They arent focused on that or try to spin their marketing into thinking they reinvented the guitar. Other companies just make solid guitars based on existing designs and thats that. Thats the main difference between PRS and the others mentioned the other companies are not pretending or spinning that type of stuff.

PRS makes it seem like they try to pretend they reinvented the wheel/guitar when they just have slight variations on already proven, tested and original designs IMO.....like the single cut and SType guitars.....you know.

I mean who are they fooling here with this, that their designs are 100% original or the "innovation" behind them is all that radically different than a Les Paul or Strat? Not me

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Tguitarfloyd and StratUp like this.
  2. Shoegoo

Shoegoo Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I prefer Strats because of the way the cord connects to guitar body. Leo got it right because he built the Tele first. When he built the Strat he contoured the body and improved the cord connection. PRS's are great guitars for those who like them.

3. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

I've owned multiple PRS guitars at various price points and I've been impressed by all of them. Tone-wise they've never really been my cup of tea (almost TOO smooth and refined). But fit and finish is always spot on. Gibson could learn a thing or two from PRS quality control. They also have a huge variety of finish options that look great even on their lower-end instruments. I think that kind of diversity is good for the market. I personally like vintage-inspired guitars but not everyone does, especially newer/younger players.

EDIT - I will say that my biggest complaint with PRS is the rotary pickup switching design. They make it seem like a revolutionary way to get multiple sounds out of one guitar. But on stage, in the dark, I would take a good old fashioned switch over that rotary dial any day. It's easy enough to add push-pulls or mini toggles if you want to add different options, and you can navigate those by feel if you need to.

StratUp likes this.
  4. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

Same here. Played many, tried hard to love one and buy it, but never did. Plus I don't think they are particularly pretty. Too shiny and bursty.

If something is not protected by Intellectual Property rights, then any copies are not infringing, and therefore all is well. You may debate morals, but then you'd have to bring a LOT of companies into this debate.

I also think Paul is wrong in many things he believes (like tonewood), but he's not full of BS, he really believes it. I also disagree with many of his political views, but that's irrelevant.

5. Paulie walnuts

Paulie walnuts Strat-Talk Member

It seems to me that guitarists are generally super conservative in their tastes. Not enough people seem to really want anything that's too radically different to the classics. Even the more modern guitars that are popular are just super strats or les paul shaped usually. I guess until enough people are willing to try something new, the most you can hope for is someone like prs to just do what everyone else does, but just do it better, in regards to qc and customer service, fancy colours, whatever.

6. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

I haven't read the entire thread since my original post but could you offer some link or other evidence as to your claim that "PRS makes it seem like they try to pretend they reinvented the wheel/guitar"? (Ignoring the horrifying grammar in that statement)

I've never seen anything that indicates that although I can't say I've seen every PRS interview. I'm trying to work out if this is in fact true or if this is simply your interpretation.

7. WillyDaC50

WillyDaC50 Strat-Talk Member

I pretty much have to agree with you on every point. I discovered PRS when he was still basically hand building them and I still have a sales brochure from that period. The ones I did play, played and sounded very good and were distinctive enough that I could spot one a mile away. At that time they all pretty much looked and played the same. The price list, however was astounding. Anyone that complained about what Gibson was pricing at would faint at the first PRS price tags. They were excellent as far as I'm concerned. But $7500-8000 was far more than I was willing to pay. Then came the first "SE" models. The fit and finish was terrible, and I am not kidding. However I remember a very ugly SE that had P90's and I noodled around on it for about a half hour. The finish was slighlty runny and lumpy (for lack of a better word) and the wood itself was just plain. It was also affordable, below $1000. Thing is, it played well and sounded great with the P90's. I passed in the end but wish I hadn't. I don't know jack about anything PRS makes at this time. The "reinventing the wheel" thing wasn't anything that was even mentioned at the time, but I do know that the guitars PRS made originally were very much at least the equal of a Fender Or Gibson at the time. Excellent tone and playabilty and exquisite workmanship. I don't follow most of the hype or any of the inner workings of the factories so I don't even know what some of you are talking about when you call a PRS a clone of something. None of that matters to me in the end. It's always been how a guitar feels or plays for me and the tones I can get. As mentioned by quote, I've not played a PRS that wasn't an excellent guitar.

henderman likes this.
  8. Layla2000

Layla2000 Strat-Talk Member

I have several PRS guitars including a killer (expensive Private Stock). My other 4 are Core, very happy. I'd shy away from SE (student edition) and at least go CE if Core not in budget. My double cut core 594 is awesome and I have a Custom Les Paul. Same but different. Fun to have both. Tried Silver sky but 7.25 radius really hurt my hand and wrist so sent it back. I have two Suhr guitars and one to really really consider for quality build, equal to a core prs in my opinion for alot less money. I have an HSS that's smaller than my strat with a roasted neck and Andy Wood Tele. Suhr is the bomb. Super perfection, really high quality, play and sound awesome.

9. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Strat-Talker

As far as worrying about scratching up a pretty PRS, some people get over it.

Lewbypls likes this.
  10. gogaterz

gogaterz Strat-Talk Member

I'm a Strat guy, but I own 2 Les Paul's as well. But I have three Paul Reed Smith guitars. All American made. An early EG, a 90's Custom 22, and a Single Cut. They are fantastic guitars. Look beautiful, sound beautiful, and play like a dream. There's a lot of haters here talking about "cloning" Les Pauls or Strats, but many of the high end guitars are doing the same and some ask for more $ than PRS. The Single Cut, I prefer to Les Pauls. I'm not a fan of the over the fret binding. The SC doesn't have it. The necks feel better, and honestly, you can modify the tone better than the Les Paul. The Custom (or McCarty) is a mix of a Tele, Strat, and Les Paul but yet isn't any of them specifically. It has it's own tone. And, it looks different than any of the three. Play them, and then make up your own mind, It's okay to not like Mr. Smith personally, but judge the guitars on their own. By the way, Rickenbacher invented the electric guitar, Rickenbacher produced the first solid body guitar, and Gretsch had the first humbucking guitars. So I guess every manufacturer since has ripped them off with "fancier" guitars. Like music itself, everyone borrows from everyone.

The-Kid likes this.
  11. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Its not a fact but yeah its my interpretation and my opinion of how they come off. You know like they dont straight out say "we reinvented the guitar with Silver Sky and Single Cuts" but its like.....

You know...short of straight up saying that...they pretty much come off like that.

And well on my part thats it. I'm not going to say there arent aspects that of course are an "improvement" and refinements over Gibsons and Fender designs....but they are refinements on Gibsons and Fender and thats it.

I just dont buy the "we reinvented the guitar" vibe but agree PRS are top quality of course and that is undeniable.

12. sttrat714

sttrat714 Strat-Talk Member

My opinion is better than your opinion because my opinion is my opinion and your opinion is your opinion. FACT!!!

tanta07 and The-Kid like this.
  13. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

So on the one hand you're admitting to interpreting standard marketing speak as "reinventing the guitar" despite PRS not having actually said that and on the other hand you're saying you don't buy the "we reinvented the guitar" vibe. Which one is it? It sounds like you're very biased for whatever reason.

You also say that "they are refinement of Gibsons and Fender and that's it" as if those refinements are nothing more than a new string gauge. We might as well say that all cars are nothing more than refinements of the Ford Model A.

I don't mean to be overly argumentative but you're making post after post about this and saying the same thing over and over as if it's fact. Again I'll have to re-read the thread but I haven't seen anyone state they get the same vibe as you (since we now know PRS never said what you claim). That being the case, it might be time to consider whether the issue is with you and not PRS.

14. N3135X

N3135X New Member!

Agree with the 'copy cat' PRS guitars. BUT... after buying a 'Brand New' guitar (PRS Pauls guitar SE) seems to be be a great purchase. If it comes with polished, literally perfect frets and build quality, not to mention 'TCI' pickups, there is nothing I could find better for the money IMO.

15. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy Strat-Talk Member

Being primarily a studio player I've always just used the appropriate guitar for the track - Strat, L.P., Tele, 335, Gretsch, Harmony, Dano, Ricky, whatever. I've never come across that magical PRS that made me wanna plunk down the cash and grab it but if I ever found the right one that spoke to me - hell I'd probably buy it. They seem to be really well made guitars.

16. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Everything I have said is what I take from PRS marketing and Paul. Thats the vibe "we reinvented the guitar/made something radically new and different" in so many ways thats the vibe when these "new guitars" are just based of and takes on already proven, tested and successful designs.

It sounds like you havent read much of the thread but either way that is my point and well not to be argumentative or make it more complex than it is but simply its that vibe.

There are no "issues" or whatever or real "problems" with PRS..... its just something I notice when seeing Paul talk about PRS guitars and the way it comes off to me and Im pretty sure I'm not the only one that agrees.

And bad analogy with Ford and cars....

@Mouse does the guy who made say the Hawaiian Pizza deserve the same credit as the guy who made/invented the actual first Pizza......or is a Chicken Wrap really not just a Fancy Burrito?

Fender and Gibson are like the original Burrito or Pizza......PRS is a Hawaiian Pizza or Chicken Wrap....like cool additions and refinements but its not the same as actually making the first Pizza or Burrito (Fender/Gibson) and in the end well theres nothing all that radically different or new and different.

17. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

Last year I played a lot of LPs and a lot of PRSs -- and couldn't help but notice the PRSs were generally better made and much better at staying in tune.And if you get the wide fat neck, they feel great too.
    (Actually the nicest guitar I played, with a neck to die for, was an R8 but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much.)

Almost bought an LP Standard because I couldn't get past the gaudy aesthetic and thin neck of most PRSs, despite admiring the quality.

Then I lucked upon a 2009 McCarty PF-09... fat neck and a nice subtle nitro satin smokeburst finish (pic is stolen off the internet but mine is the same model/colour).

image.jpeg

Mouse and siegeld like this.
  18. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Did Wayne Charvel make himself out to be some sort of Renaissance Man by just making fretboards flatter and adding a Floyd on a Strat or some other refinement....

Or did Jackson...

Or did Shecter.....

Or does ESP....

Or Yamaha Guitar Division...

Or Nash....

Or Shur...

Etc etc etc

Do any of these companies and people from those companies come of like that to me.....No...I mean props to all these companies and their history/contribution and sick guitars they make but again non of them have that vibe to me.....

Maybe to an extent but just not at the levels that PRS is at frankly with any of their models IMO and especially the Single Cuts and Silver Sky's.

StratUp likes this.
  19. siegeld

siegeld Strat-Talk Member

Glad the option of PRS exists. I have stayed away from the high cost of their aestethics and have accumulated a Mira X (in a ghastly halloween orange, hard on the eyes but real easy on the ears and the back - probably less than 5 pounds), a core Mira stained cherry/Mahagony which is > than SG, and an all black 305 --- their first improvement on the strat, it has a set neck and is more organic than any strat I've played. All three are just such a pleasure to play and sound amazing through the right gear as well as unplugged.

20. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

I’m okay with admitting that I pick my guitars based on aesthetics as much as how they play and sound. To me, the 67 year-old design of the Strat is beautiful. I’ve got a plain old two-tone sunburst Strat that sits on a stand next to my desk as I work from home, and I find myself throughout the day staring at it and appreciating how beautiful it is.

A PRS (I’m talking the typical flamed maple top, bird inlays, pointy headstock PRS) just doesn’t do anything for me aesthetically. I totally understand they’re perfectly built guitars and play beautifully and sound great. I just don’t find them beautiful as a THING. Yes, I know they have a ton of different models. I’ve looked at those too and also shrugged.

Maybe someday I’ll get over this shallowness and I’ll play a guitar based solely on its playability and sound. But until that day comes, I also have to find the guitar aesthetically pleasing.

“But it’s just a tool to get a job done!” Yeah, of course. And a car’s basic purpose to get you from your home to your destination, but many people would prefer to get that job done in a car they find visually pleasing rather than a car that they find ugly. Aesthetics DO matter. Otherwise every car would be a primer-colored box with wheels, and every guitar would be a raw wood rectangle with a neck stuck on it.

StratUp, The-Kid and FuzzFace90 like this.