Paul Simon the GOAT?

Della Street

Strat-O-Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Jan 9, 2022
USA
one of my guys - an intelligent and thoughtful man, without reports of recent head injuries, stated a sincerely-held conviction and won't recant or even reconsider.

he says that Paul Simon is the greatest American songwriter.

not Neil Diamond, not Guy Clark, not Billy Joel, not Jewel.

Paul Simon.

is he so crazy he may be right?

Last edited:

guitarface

Most Honored Senior Member
Nov 11, 2012
New Jersey
one of my guys - an intelligent and thoughtful man, without reports of recent head injuries, stated a sincerely-held conviction and won't recant or even reconsider.

he says that Paul Simon is the greatest American song writer.

Paul Simon.

If it isn’t Paul Simon, it ain’t no of those other people either.

Dick Blackmore

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2017
Black Hole

Paul Simon.

Willie Dixon and I don’t see how anybody else comes close.

Handsome McClane

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 6, 2020
Sacramento
Yikes! Good songwriter, love Simon and Garfunkel - but I've always disliked his singing unless it was in the background. Never liked his solo stuff and, of course, several of my good friends were obsessed so I had to hear it over and over again.

Art Garfunkel was my man. Golden voice. Send shivers down my spine like Roy Orbison or Cat Stevens.

I don't believe in the "greatest" anything when it comes to art. There are many musicians who are the best at what they do. Jeff Beck is the best at being Jeff Beck, Hendrix was the best at being Hendrix, Paul Simon does Paul Simon.

Last edited:

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM

Paul Simon.

I know for a fact that several of “his” big hits were actually written by someone else. This includes Sounds Of Silence and Coming to America. He is great but not a good as Dylan or Merl Haggard.

Della Street

Strat-O-Master
Jan 9, 2022
USA
Irving Berlin and Bob Dylan come to mind.
i think the general idea was of relative contemporaries, so Berlin would be out of consideration.

i <<s u b j e c t i v e o p i n i o n a l e r t>> dislike Dylan intensely as a person and have no use for his creative output.

Scott Baxendale

Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM

Paul Simon.

John Prine, Steve Earle, Jeff Tweedy, Lenard Cohen, Chuck Berry, Bruce Springsteen, Vic Chestnutt, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, Brandi Carlisle, Carole King are just a few.

Last edited:

Nadnitram

Neil Young? Oh, wait, this isn't "Who sounds like a goat"?

I'm subject to recency bias since we saw Billy Joel in Pittsburgh on Thursday. The show was wonderful, but I came away with a real appreciation of his catalogue.

So today my vote would be for Billy GOAT. After that wears off, I'll probably go back to Carole King.

Della Street

Strat-O-Master
Jan 9, 2022
USA

I'm subject to recency bias since we saw Billy Joel in Pittsburgh on Thursday. The show was wonderful, but I came away with a real appreciation of his catalogue.

So today my vote would be for Billy GOAT. After that wears off, I'll probably go back to Carole King.
honestly, because i'm so soft and unsophisticated, Billy Joel my leaning, too. or Jewel.

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA

Paul Simon.

I'm goin with
No such thing
As
Greatest...

Della Street

Strat-O-Master
Jan 9, 2022
USA

oh, who am i kidding - it's Dolly and always has been. she is my queen.