Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Pearl Harbor

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by jazzman1021, Dec 7, 2017 at 7:03 AM.

1. jazzman1021

jazzman1021 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Earlville, IL 60518
    Please take a moment today to remember 7 December 1941. Kind regards to everyone.

2. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland

3. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    God bless those who served and sacrificed for the rest of us.

4. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

The most emotional places I have ever visited were Gettysburg, just knowing that our nation was on the brink and reading the accounts of what those boys and men did there got me, the Vietnam wall and watching a family mourn at the name of a loved one, and Pearl Harbor. I met a man who served at Pearl Harbor and survived the attack. He told me his own personal account of that morning. When he said he was going to be cremated and his ashes placed on the USS Arizona.

Thank you to all the men and women who paid the ultimate price for our country that day.

5. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    Two of my mom's brothers enlisted the next day, Dec. 8th. One was in pharmacy school at the time, following in his father's footsteps. His life changed course, following service as a fighter pilot in the Pacific he made a career of the Navy...C.O. on Midway, assignment in the Pentagon etc. The other flew the hump over the Himilayas Calcutta to Burma to support bomber raids over Japan.
    They are both gone but not forgotten
    Freedom isn't free.

6. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    If you get a chance, visit the USS Arizona that is the one place the reality sets in.

Many things learned that day we'e still in place when I spent my ten years in active duty navy.

Remember always

AncientAx and carolinaeasy like this.

7. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    I've never been to Pearl Harbor but I did go to the Vietnam Memorial with my parents when I was about 10. I remember my mom getting a piece of paper and pencil and placing the paper over a name and scribbling on the paper to make the name stand out on the paper. There was a family about 20' from us and they were crying and doing the same thing. At the time, I didn't understand the circumstances. I saw other families as well crying and doing the same thing. It was all very strange to me at that age but now that I'm older and my best friends dad was a Green Beret in Nam, I get it.

jazzman1021 and The Strat Dude like this.

8. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    My dad and all of my uncles fought in WWII- one did not come home. I'm a Navy vet myself, but it's their experiences that I think of today. They all volunteered within days.

If you don't know the history as well as you would like to, read "At Dawn We Slept" by Gordan Prange.

9. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

[​IMG]

When I was in junior high there was noise about the US apologizing for dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. My dad got really upset, said "They had it coming!! That sneak attack was BS and unless you were alive back then you can't understand what it was like!"

Wasn't until Sept. 11th that I understood.

10. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    My dad took his first solo flight as a Navy Enlisted Pilot on Dec. 8 1941 (@ NAS Pensacola). His first combat tour as a PBY pilot was early in 1942 and he remained in the South Pacific theater until late 1944. He enlisted in '39, assigned to the Yorktown. I have a Christmas card he wrote to his mother, posted from the Yorktown in Pearl Harbor, Dec of 1940. Had he not applied for the enlisted pilot training, his life would have been very different! Almost all of my uncles (mom's brothers) were Navy pilots in WWII and Korea, etc.

All he and mom would say about PH was that they "lost a lot of friends there."

Strats4me likes this.

11. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    I’ve been to the USS Arizona and to ground zero at Nagasaki. I had ancestors lost in the Pacific theatre; both in the USMC and US Navy on my mom’s side of the family (native Hawaiian) and in the Japanese Imperial Navy on my dad’s side. I am never going to “understand" any of it. The attack on 7 December 1941 was not necessary and I don’t consider the expression of opposition to the dropping of nuclear weapons to be “noise.”

I tend to get put on ignore lists here every 7 December because of my opinions on this....

ETA: I enlisted in the Navy in 1990 but I screwed the NSMRL/SUBSCREEN psychological exam and was thrown out of basic as a result.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    rolandson likes this.

12. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    The can I was on made Pearl 6 times.
    Never went ashore.
    Everything cost too much.
    Back then pay was $90.00 per month.
    I was the ship's coxswain, so I just chauffeured the captain n officers around, drove by the wrecks.

13. tery

tery Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee

14. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Infamy indeed. My Dad wrote this about the night before:

On a lighter note, I saw this band a bunch of times BITD:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 1:45 AM
    fattboyzz likes this.

15. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    My 10th grade woodshed teacher got left for dead there. Dad and all his brothers joined the USMC as soon as they could after . Well one had to join the Navy, Marines didn' like his feet. He heard about that the rest of his life. I'm working at Naval Station Norfolk now

fattboyzz likes this.

16. Phat-O-Caster

Phat-O-Caster Strat-O-Master

Apr 16, 2008
    Colorado
    Just listened to a live interview from a 104 year old survivor that lives here in Colorado-pretty sure I met Jim in a parking lot a while back-you don’t see many Pearl Harbor Survivor license plates around.

fattboyzz likes this.

17. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Fa-ra-ra-ra-raaa, ra ra ra raa! Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA

18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    There are not many left from the greatest generation of men that ever lived :(

I thank them all when I can .

One of my customers is 93 yo and a ww2 vet . Very nice gent that Ross :0)

My grandfather was a Pacific theatre veteran as well . I sure do miss the old stories he told in that sittin room by that old wood stove :(

cac9450f190acdaa7a5515f923acf059.jpg

AncientAx likes this.

19. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    One of the most emotional moments I have ever experienced was when my wife and I went to Hawaii for our 3rd year anniversary last year and took the Pearl Harbor tour. We met one of the remaining 6 survivors of the USS Arizona and got to talk with him for a short while. upload_2017-12-7_13-18-8.png
    I did not want to stop that conversation but there were others that wanted to meet him and we only had so much time before the tour was going to be moving on. Then Seeing the "Black Tears" still surfacing was such an awe inspiring and humbling experience that I still almost break down and cry just thinking about it.
    [​IMG]

20. nungesser

nungesser I ain't askin' for much..Lord take me downtown... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    when I worked out at Oakland airport I used to spend a lot of time in Alameda and there were a handful of fella's that lived there that I would bump into with Pearl Harbor Survivor license plates on their cars one guy apologised for something silly I think his shopping cart was in the way or something I smiled at him and said "Partner with that license plate you got there, you can do what ever the hell you want as far as i'm concerned"