Peavey Bandit Red Stripe - pre gain problem

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Mind Flayer, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-O-Master

Just picked up a Peavey bandit 112 red stripe, the made in usa version, used that i ordered online from gc.

Sounds great. But i noticed on the gain channel that the pre gain knob seems to not do anything, so i’m thinking there’s a problem with the pot. Can’t tell what level gain it’s on - there’s definitely some crunch and it sounds good, but i’d love to get it fixed. Any ideas?

2. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

First thing I'd do it spray it with some deoxit and work the knob a bit and see if it's just some schmutz on the strip in the pot.

If that doesn't work they're fairly simple to take apart, get the right pot for it and solder a new one in. One you get it apart you may see something that appears amiss, but if not it's likely just a worn out pot.

soulman969 likes this.
  3. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

Spray will not do crap if the knob is not making a crackling sound when you turn it!

That knob/ pot took a hit in moving the amp around and your going to need a the old one unsoldered off the board and a new one installed.

Robins likes this.
  4. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-O-Master

Thanks for the replies. It doesn’t crackle, but I noticed that once in a while the sound will change if I push on the knob a bit. I’ll try some deoxit first, since it can’t really hurt.

Baelzebub likes this.
  5. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

What you describe by pushing on it is indicative of the knob taking a hit and now you have failed solder connections on the board, and or a bad pot.

Like I posted yesterday, the time you put into spraying it will be waste of your time!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021