1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Pedal Board For An Old Guy

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by axejock, Sep 24, 2020.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I've been picking up pedals off and on for a few months lately, mostly through local sales and trades. This is definitely "new turf" for me as I have always used the onboard effects on my Roland Cube amp to get a sense of what pedals can do. My latest acquisition was a real pedal board, so I thought what the heck...I'm going to set this thing up. Following advice from friends and other "pedal guys", I got the basic order and layout that seemed OK, and proceeded to hook it all up with a Strat and my Deluxe Reverb amp. Wow! the sounds I can get out of these few pedals is seemingly endless and fascinating, so much so that I'm scratching my head to figure how to dial in all the pedals and amp settings to get the sounds I really want! It's a lot of fun and quite a divergence for an old plinker like myself. Can anybody give me tips on how best way to arrange and set-up these pedals to gain maximum utility and different sounds. The board has a Polytune in position one, followed by an older Route 66 dual function Overdrive and Compressor (really nice pedal), Boss Phase Shifter, a Boss Super Chorus, a Boss Tremolo, and a Boss Flanger. Everything works well, but I really need some "coaching" on how you folks might set something like this up!!

CIMG1444.JPG
    CIMG1445.JPG
    CIMG1446.JPG

2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I would talk to Daniel @The-Kid . He would know the best order to put the pedals in, and whether to put in front of the amp or the effects loop I’m sure. Good luck!

axejock, soulman969 and The-Kid like this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't change a thing as far as the order goes. That's a pretty typical set up with tuner > boost/overdrive/compressor>modulation effects.

If you tend to combine modulation effects like your phaser or chorus with your tremolo you might experiment a bit with their specific order to see if that has any impact you prefer but in most cases any difference would be minor.

4. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

^^^Experiment is the best advice^^^. On my "main" board, I currently have my Wah, ODs, Distortion, Fuzz on the front end of my amp, and "effects" on the effect loop. My tremelo is before my chorus (and after my phaser). BUT, it hasn't always been this way, AND I am syphoning a few pedals off to use with a couple of other amps I have. Pedals are fun because you just about can't hurt anything by moving things around, and you may find a combination/order different from the pack/trend that suits your ear/music better. :thumb: Enjoy!

5. soulman969

Just a quick PS.

The Deluxe Reverb has no effects loop so for the OP's purpose any references to that won't apply. The entire signal chain is running through the front end of his amp.

6. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Vendor Member

Thank you man!!!!

I feel his board is pretty good. Would mess with tuner placement. I prefer at end of chain as to not disturb anything from your guitar signal hitting your first pedal in chain but its really a matter of preference.

As it is I like the placement of your modulations OP especially with Tremolo after Chorus and Phaser. This really helps dial in a faux leslie. The OD/Compressor is in a great spot relative to your modulations. The only thing I would do would be probably move the Tremolo all the way to the end of modulation chain, Im not sure how to explain it but it helps "mesh" in better when placed with other modulation IMO such as chorus and flanger.

Of course mess with different placement as placement of an effect has a change and influence on how it sounds and different placements sound different especially when stacking.

As said this looks spot on. I personally would put tuner at the end of chain but many put it in the front maybe switch the tremolo to end of modulation chain but thats it. Also if the tuner has a buffer/true bypass switch always mess with that and see what makes more sense for you and which sounds better.

Cheers OP and great looking board man.

axejock and soulman969 like this.
  7. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

Your setup looks fine. That Route 66 pedal is a gem. I used to have one, but it took up too much space. It really is a killer pedal. You basically get two boosts in one.

axejock likes this.
  8. axejock

Thanks for all of the comments....it doesn't look like I went too far astray! Anyway, the "Polytune" tuner has a small switch with three settings on it. Position 1 gives true bypass, position 2 gives buffered bypass, and position 3 gives buffered bypass with display always on. I am using position 1, "assuming" that in this mode it has no effect on the "loop"? And I am certainly open to placing the tremolo pedal at the end of the loop to see what difference that makes. It's amazing to actually hook these things up and to hear the number of "voices" you can get through pedal positioning, amp/guitar settings, and each pedal's numerous controls. This should keep me occupied for a while!!

9. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

My take as well, the hookup order looks good to me.

axejock likes this.
  10. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

I like tuner - comp - overdrive - distortion - fuzz (unless it's an old fuzz that doesn't like compressors, which go first) - modulation - delay - reverb - tremolo. But half the fun is experimenting. There are no rules.

Congrats on the pedalboard. Buckle up. Things are going to get gassy.

Bob the builder, bbarott and axejock like this.
  11. soulman969

Although it may not make a whole lot of difference using a short cable if you run the Polytune in the buffered position along with any of the Boss pedals last you'll have a buffer running throughout your signal chain.

This would minimize any loss of high end output from guitar>signal chain>amp. I run a dedicated buffer before my tuner (which is not buffered) and my Boss Tremolo last to give me a buffer at both ends.

Just another option to consider.

axejock likes this.
  12. axejock

To illustrate my "amateur" status on pedals, I'll ask this fundamental question. What does the "buffer" setting on the tuner do and how does that buffer affect the downstream pedals? It is obviously there for a reason, but I just don't get it. Help?