Pedal players... from tube amps to Quilter/Katana......

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Voxman, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

Those of you that use pedals, and mostly use amps as a pedal platform, have you made the switch from tube amps to SS like Quilter or the Boss Katana, and also gig with them?

How does that work for you? I know most in the audience won't tell the difference, but to you as the player, and maybe your bandmates, can tell the difference.

I love my AC30 but damn moving it to rehearsals and gigs sucks.

I am considering going to something lighter. I'd still prefer an amp than going direct.

(Guitar>amp folks need not reply if isn't helpful like I see in other pedal based threads))

amstratnut, Baelzebub, cranky and 2 others like this.
  2. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member

I’ve been ampless for years now. I run my pedals into a Strymon Iridium, straight to FOH. I’m totally satisfied.

bbarott, Voxman, Cerb and 1 other person like this.
  3. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Yes, I use a Quilter Aviator Cub, before that I used a Quilter Overdrive 200 and before that tubes.

The Quilters are analog solid state amps whereas the Katana is a digital modeling amp, packed with effects. There is a difference but both sound good.

I never really got the "pedal platform" thing. What does that mean anyway? Both the Quilter and the Katana have voices of their own and don't need pedals to sound good. Do I use pedals? Yes, but only to add to what's already there.

A pedal platform to me would be a completely clean power amp that would let you use whatever drive pedal you wanted as a preamp.

4. Cerb

The Quilter Aviator is the best amp I've had.

5. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

Do they call it "Aviator" because it's flying off store shelves? ;)

Cerb likes this.
  6. Cerb

Or out 3rd floor windows...

CalicoSkies likes this.
  7. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

They are very intriguing to me. I am a big fan of light and powerful. It just makes sense

Cerb likes this.
  8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Enticing to say the least....

Cerb likes this.
  9. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

The Aviator Cub is the newer one? What pedals do you use?

I am interested in one of those. A local GC has a used one, the Aviator Gold 12 I think it is, and seems for a decent price.

As far as pedal platform, I use a basically clean amp. In my case I have a handwired Vox which has no effects, so I use pedals for reverb and tremolo.

I use pedals for all my drive tones as well, and often stack them. I used to have a Marshall JVM410 and did the channel switching thing, which worked too, but I got tired of carrying around that heavy head and a 4x12. That JVM410 was pretty heavy by itself.

Cerb likes this.
  10. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

Two(2) ToneMaster Deluxes for me. Deluxii. Great with pedals, great cleans, lots of headroom, volume = volume, not volume = noise. 21 pounds soaking wet.

Had a Katana 50. Nice amp, probably great for recording, not so great on the gigs, for the usual noise issues and vagueness as you turn it up issues. Also not a lightweight at all.

rct

11. Cerb

Yeah, the Cub is the new one, that's the one I have. It has three voices, or three different preamps. They're called Tweed, Blonde and Black. Guess what they are ;) They are all definitely in the ballpark of what they try to be.

I used a small pedal board with a Xotic EP boost and a Dunlop Fuzz Face (germanium) into the front (I mostly just used the boost), sometimes a Bluesdriver instead of the Fuzz. In the FX loop I had a SolidgoldFX Surfrider III and an Ibanez DDL delay.

I just got a NUX Cerberus multi FX instead, so now I have analog boost, overdrive and distortion going in front and reverb, delay and modulation in the loop.

You can use the Cub with pedals, the same way you'd use a tube amp with pedals, or you could use it without pedals the same way you'd use a tube amp. You could also bypass the preamps altogether and go straight into the power amp, but that seems like a waste of good preamps. I like to set the gain to where the amp breaks up a bit, then turn up the limiter that adds a little bit of compression and "sag" and then use the guitat volume to clean up or pedals to boost.

The Aviator Gold is the old one. It still seems very well liked but I'd take the Cub for a spin if I were you. At least to compare.

12. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

There's not a venue that isn't worth dragging an AC30 in tho

cranky and Voxman like this.
  13. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

The Katana Series are not modeling amps per se but they do differ from the Blues Cube Series which are 100% analog SS amps which use some digital effects.

I have an original Blues Cube 60 and I've done gigs, jams, and rehearsals with it. I also have a 15w Egnater Tweaker tube head. They're both capable pedal platforms.

If you think about it anytime your running multiple digital or analog pedals in your signal chain you're never 100% tube driven anyway. If it sounds good it is good.

14. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

I played through a Fender Mustang that my local studio/rehearsal space owns the other day and was totally drowned out by everyone else.

Compared to ‘real’ gear, it was toothless and limp.

soulman969 and Chipss36 like this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

My Quilter 201 takes pedals great. Edit: I use the fx loop...but it worked fine when I didn't.

Cerb and Voxman like this.
  16. bigreen505

bigreen505 Strat-Talk Member

I have a Peavey Bandit. It's a good pedal platform, but it takes pedals differently than a tube amp. The feel under your fingers is very different (feels flat and immediate, where tubes have some spring and squish) and I feel like you can hear each pedal individually where on tube amps I feel like the pedals interact with the amp or become part of it. I don't think the audience can hear this sonically, but if you as a player can hear and feel the difference, you will play differently and the audience can hear that. When there are discussions of gear, and the chorus of people exclaim "the audience can't hear the difference and they are too drunk to care," they are correct, and also incorrect.

If my choice was between an AC30 and a Quilter, it would depend on the length of the gig and how far I have to haul the gear. If an AC30CC2 is your weapon of choice but is too heavy for you to transport (no judgement, it is for me), maybe an AC30S1 might be an option.

amstratnut and Voxman like this.
  17. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I haul my big amps and cabs with a two wheeler...makes things much easier.

jojo68 likes this.
  18. RevDoomBaritone99

RevDoomBaritone99 Strat-Talk Member

For years now most of my gigging has been playing festivals and weekend jaunts where I fly to gigs, so having something more portable has been a necessity. First I was using the old Crate Powerblock for this purpose and it worked okay, not the greatest sounding but with the right pedals I could get the job done. A few years back I moved on to the SD PowerStage 170, and then the PS-200, and that's been a big help. Of course you still wind up having to have a cabinet but I usually have one provided for me at these gigs, or I have a nice 2x12 VHT cab I can bring when needed that thankfully isn't anywhere near as heavy as my Twin Reverb. I'm not real big on running direct to FOH either but at least the PS-200 does have a decent line out with cab sim on it that I've used a few times and it worked out good when a cabinet wasn't an option. Orange Pedal Baby is another good option for a portable pedal amp that I've used, though it seems to run pretty hot compared to the PowerStage so I mainly keep that at home.

Torvald likes this.
  19. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

I had a gig this weekend, an outdoors one.

And the AC30 sounded great. Still had to keep the volume low since it is a freaking loud at amp.
    The volume was at 1 with the master volume switched out of the circuit.

Carrying that weight is worth the tone.

jojo68 and Cerb like this.
  20. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

Gee guys thank for the Quilter info.

my wallet hates you guys!

Bob the builder and Cerb like this.