Pedal players... from tube amps to Quilter/Katana......

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Voxman, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

3orif7aLUehOfdmlXy.gif

Chipss36 likes this.
  2. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

What'd you get?

Cerb and Chipss36 like this.
  3. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I'm finding that there isn't much that I can't do with my Tone Master Deluxe Reverb or Katana, and a MFX pedal. I have used a Zoom MFX pedal for over 17 years, in order to get "my sound" out of a provided backline. It works great with my TMDR. I'm able to use the Katana without the MFX pedal, but I still carry it for backup.

[​IMG]

Voxman and Cerb like this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

That's because they are.

Some years ago I used a 100w Mustang during a few rehearsals mostly because it was there. I could never get anything I liked out of it so I finally began using my BC60 and the rest of the band was astonished how much of a difference there was.

The 100w Katana Head I had most recently would also have chewed it up and spit it out. I know some guys are gigging Mustangs but IMHO they're really far more a home practice and recording amp that is a true digital modeling amp.

chicago slim likes this.
  5. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

People tend to use more overdrive and effects, in the bedroom. You need a cleaner sound when playing live. Watch a rig rundown, on a top Pro. They will have several overdrive pedals, that sound like they are set to edge of breakup. Then, they always have a pedal that they say, "I really just use this as a boost".

Power scaling is your friend. I set my amps at half power. It's often enough for a gig, but It's reassuring to have, more there. Then at home, I cut the power to .5 watts. I'm a front man, so I have a PA to Line Out, to. But I prefer to chain my main amp to my backup amp. It sounds fuller at a lower volume. And the backup amp is set, and ready to go.

Cerb likes this.
  6. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Quilter makes good stuff, I own 3 Quilter amps. In addition, a Quilter can be used as "FRFR" or a "pedal platform" by adjusting the tone stack or bypassing the pre altogether.

Cerb likes this.
  7. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

I wired a disconnect jack in all my amplifiers that allow me to use the power amp section as a slave amp. It bypasses the amplifiers pre amp when you plug anything into it.. That way I can plug my stereo FX modeling pedal direct into the power amp section bypassing the amplifiers pre amp. The pedal I use actually has 2 tone control sections in it along with multiple modeling amps and a lot of very quiet FX.

Cerb likes this.
  8. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

At church gig, I play through a Helix straight into the PA. While I'm not a huge fan of the sounds, I'm using presets already put in there and it goes with the music we are playing. I imagine if I sat with it for 20 hours, I could probably get sounds I really like, but not gonna happen. On the downside, they cost $1,500. On the upside, the church owns it so I'm out zero. On the downside, they are bulky and kind of heavy. On the upside, still weights a ton less than any amp I'd carry in. And it has a padded backpack for moving and storage.

Cerb likes this.
  9. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

I’ve gigged my Quilter 101 Mini Reverb and my Quilter MicroPro 200 and both sounded great. And I really appreciated them at the end of the gig when I had to move them!

Bill, tgo

Miotch and Cerb like this.
  10. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

I still plug my pedal board & modeler (Vox Tonelab) into the front of a tube amp, specifically a H&H 20th Anniversary combo. I've never had the amp turned up past 3 at a gig (to be fair, I've also run an ext 2x12 a few times). To me, the Tonelab sounds better into a tube amp than solid state amp,,,,so far. I have all my presets designed and eq'd for front of an amp, not direct, so I can hypothetically plug into the front of any amp and get close to my tone. I prefer amp over direct because I can control my volume somewhat and am not at the mercy of the monitor mix.
    At large tomorrow's festival gig there's no personal amps allowed for the local bands anyway. You have to use their backline, which is a Fender combo of some sort so my amp is not part of that equation.

I haven't tried a Quilter, and not sure how I could try it out with my pedal board unless I bought and then returned it if I didn't like it. Also, I saw a recent vid about the super mini head, H&K Spirit of Vintage, that perked my interested. Right now what I have is working, and it's paid for.

Normally, I bring my pedal board, my amp, my SM57 and amp mic stand to every gig. I try to be low friction for the soundman, he just needs to get me the xlr cable. Also, because I use a tube amp I always have a backup amp (i.e. Peavey C30) on hand.

Attached Files:

11. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Tsims, good to hear from ya. Nice approach, going to have to look into that.

12. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I have a joyo american sound that I haven't had the nerve to try to gig with.

Definitely curious about iridium but, its a fair chunk of change to satisfy my curiosity, since my current rig works fine.

To lighten my load I have a separate head and a pine 1×12. Id guess the head weighs around 35 lbs and the cab is 25.

Im attempting to save for a PA system so all talk of lightening the load becomes moot at that point.

On the subject of Katanas, my son has a 50w one and uses it as a pedal platform. It sounds fine. Not amazing but, fine. We mic everything so no volume war issues. In rehearsal we dont mic and it keeps up fine.

13. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

DV Mark also makes really cool mini amps that can be gigged.

Bill, tgo