Join Strat-Talk Today

Pedal To Brighten Tone Or...?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Rounder44, Jan 16, 2020 at 10:02 AM.

1. Rounder44

Rounder44 Strat-Talker

Hi,

My Wildwood 50's AV has '54 Vintage pups. I've been fooling with the pups height to brighten the tone a little and found a sweet spot as far as they can go anyway.

But I'd like to get just a bit more clear clear bright tone. I considered a new set of pups but if there's a good effects pedal that can give me just that bit more I think I'd like the versatility of sweet warm and then brighter.

Playing through a Swart AST. Have a few distortion and OD effects and a Keeley compressor in the mix so far.

So... is there a go-to "must have" for this?

Thanks!

R44

CephasG likes this.
  2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

An EQ pedal will work perfectly for this.

Nate D and Electgumbo like this.
  3. Funk McNasty

Funk McNasty Strat-O-Master

Yes, for ultimate shaping of your clean sound and to add more sparkle and high end (or bass), check out the RC Booster by Xotic pedals. This also has a great effect on fuzz and overdriven tones to make single note attack more defined and add definition to chords.

They make a cheaper, smaller version called the EP booster, and another one called the AC Booster, but the RC is my favorite as you can really dial in whatever you want for bass and treble

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AxemanVR and Rounder44 like this.
  4. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

With that amp and guitar I'd stick with traditional and use a dallas arbiter range master
    [​IMG]

Comes in pedal form now I think as well . For an example of how it can send an amp into melt down listen to Rory Gallaghers early stuff when he still used a vox ac 30 .

CephasG likes this.
  5. Stratoskater

Pretty sure based on his other thread about this he's looking to brighten his clean tone as he mentions he has drive pedals. The rangemaster is not going to help with this and will add dirt. Also the Swart AST is their take on a 5e3 (I owned the AST before and a Fender 5e3 now) and treble boosters do not sound very good with them. They sound best with amps running EL tubes and not 6v6.

fezz parka likes this.
  6. Stratwrangler

I was just meaning ditch the drive pedals and use it on its own , never tried it with 6v6 I must confess.

7. Rounder44

Rounder44 Strat-Talker

Thanks!

Mostly take the mud off the neck pup and get more definition from the 2 and 4 switch positions.

Bridge it great, 2 is fine, 3 ok, 4 and 5 sound muted...

It's be nice to augment each position...

BY mentioning my OD and distortion pedals I just meant they don't get me there; more dirt before the tone gets shaped as I like..... I don't know if I'm set in stone with any of them yet...

R44

8. Rounder44

Rounder44 Strat-Talker

Come to think of it I don't use ANY of the pedals I have with my Strat as they all impart a slightly darker tone. This is cool for a lot of purposes but coming from Telecaster my ears are tuned towards the clean tones. I use the compressor there and the others as toys....

Are there good clones of the Dallas Rangemaster? I've always wanted to try one but vintage beyond my means...

Thanks!

Stratwrangler likes this.
  9. Stratoskater

How do you set up your amp since it's just a tone knob? I read something a few years back about amps like this that mentioned with Strats you need to set it bright enough so the neck pickup sounds good with the tone knob fully open on it then use the tone knob on the bridge and middle pickups to dial back the treble on of them. I had always set my amp up with the middle pickup then used bridge or neck to go brighter or darker but once I bought the AST this would not work because it was just a tone knob and not a 2 or 3 band EQ. When I started doing it this way I was able to get non muddy sounds out of the neck pickup finally.

fezz parka likes this.
  10. Stratwrangler

There's a few , beano boost is a Good one or red rooster boost . Some saying not great with 6v6 but I don't know about that I'm strictly vox and Marshall man so works great with both I'm very lucky as my dad has an original .
    But depends have a look here can get the original spec ones for less than £200
    http://britishpedalcompany.com/product/dallas-rangemaster/#

CephasG likes this.
  11. Stratwrangler

12. Stratwrangler

13. Rounder44

Rounder44 Strat-Talker

14. Stratoskater

It is. Swart amps are about 2 hours from my house and about 20 minuets from my folks place. I have visited them several times. The Atomic Boost is similar to a treble booster but a bit tweaked for this amp. I had one when I owned the AST but sold it with the amp. FWIW I sold the AST because it was by far the brightest sounding amp I have ever owned. I never raised the tone knob above 3.5 or 4 and was constantly rolling tubes to find dark sounding ones.

Rounder44 likes this.
  15. Stratwrangler

Well go with that then if they produce it , its probably because they have a need for it with there amps I'm guessing but yeah that looks cool .
    Obviously a known problem with the amps needing a kick up the arse

16. Rounder44

Rounder44 Strat-Talker

I wouldn't say they need any help! I run my Telecaster straight in and the Strat is just a vintage warm toned '54 I'd like to sparkle up a bit.

The AST is THE only amp that as soon as I heard it with my guitar through I had to have! I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough!

Michael Swart is great to deal with! He did some trouble shooting with me over the phone. Problem ended up being a bad cable on my end but he took 15 minutes to walk me through instead of saying "check your connections and call me back".

If you're ready for a great lifetime amp I strongly suggest giving the AST a spin!

17. Rounder44

Rounder44 Strat-Talker

Yea!

I keep tone right on 5 for my Telecaster. I swapped the 5Y3 for a 5AR4 and that gave me the extra definition I was after.

Stratwrangler and Stratoskater like this.
  18. Stratwrangler

Was just looking at there amps is it not really annoying having all the controls round the back?.

19. Rounder44

Rounder44 Strat-Talker

At first but like anything you adapt. I don't fiddle with them much any more so....Easy to find volume and tone.

They actually have a cool tone from behind too!

They are trippy amps. The reverb sounds great close to amp BUT astounding further back. Weird but super cool! Tremolo is a huge time waster as who needs to learn guitar.. just find the sweet spot there and play Em to Am chords! So seductive!

All the above with a Wildwood AVRI '52 Telecaster... Still looking for the Strat sweet spot.

20. Stratwrangler

I like to make adjustments on the fly when gigging as every room different once filled with people .
    But then I gig these two.

upload_2020-1-16_16-44-12.jpeg

[​IMG]

Rounder44 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.