1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Pedalboard Build Tread

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Nerd, May 6, 2020.

Is it weird for a guy to lay out by the pool and tan?

1. Yes

18.8%
  2. SAys yES bOIS

6.3%
  3. Hamster

25.0%
  4. I buy ugly vegetables

6.3%
  5. Imma lady

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. We don't care

43.8%
  1. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

Hi there

I'm in process of building my new pedalboard.

It's taking shape slowly as since covid I have more work than ever but I have done some progress today to share around.

If you like me and like geek'ing around gear and you dig build treads you may enjoy it as much as I enjoy building it

Here's some picts and info:

I went with Pedaltrain Classic 2. It's tight but perfectly sized for what I want. There are other options out there but Pedaltrain always worked just fine for what I expect from a pedalboard so I have seen no reason to go with alternative solutions

Instead of supplied velcro I went with 3M Dual Lock, this stuff is strong as hell and it's still cost effective enough. Other than pedals Dual lock will also hold power supply

For PSU I went with Cioks DC7 and dedicated extension. I was a little bumped as the day after I got Cioks 4 extender they came out with 8 outlet version. No big deal as I have planned the power supply needs well and 7+4 separated outs will be just fine. I could do OUX PSU outlets to test new pedals so I may upgrade eventually but hey, who adds/tests/changes pedals once pedalboard is done? Nobody!

One thing that I have really disliked about my previous pedalboards was the cable management. Fitting PSU cable under the board, connecting ins, outs, fx loop and footswitch cables to random spots on the pedalboard. Lots of mess and it was just tiring. For the new board I went with side panels. These are made by the Looperwerk in Germany. Enough outlets to fit all ins and outs I have chosen for this project and they are:

Left side
    - IEC outlet - supplied with the panel
    - USB power port - to charge my phone or tablet (geeky, I know)
    - Footswitch out to my amp
    - pedalboard output -> amp input

Right side
    - FX loop Send
    - FX loop Return Left/mono
    - FX loop Return right/stereo - yes, this pedalboard will have a stereo capacity
    - Input to the pedalboard

Since we have already established that I'm a nerd and a geek - I have decided to enhance it with a red lighting under the pedalboard. I went with 3x 50cm LED strips and just wired things out today. Nothing essential but this board will take no compromises - I want it the center of my rig as shiny and nerdy as it gets.

There's still a couple of things I'm waiting for - namely D style jacks I have ordered 5 weeks ago and they are still in The States as well as a couple of pedals that I have decided to go with last minute so more progress will be added here once I get the stash.

Question? criticism? Fire out

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

Progress from today

LED strips and USB socket installed

Attached Files:

funkysoul, Nick-O and Muko like this.
  3. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

i'm working on one too. I bought a Metro 20 to force myself to keep it small and now I have the dilemma of wanting to just squeeze ONE more pedal on there LOL.

Look forward to seeing your build.

ajb1965 and Nerd like this.
  4. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

damn dude... that's nice.

Nerd likes this.
  5. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

I have bought two pedaltrains. This and the Jr as initially I was thinking to ditch the wah. I have put some mods to it though and now my second name is Kirk Wahmmet.

Here's the block diagram of effects / amp and how they all will be connected together

Attached Files:

Nick-O, Chont and Muko like this.
  6. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Wow that's a nice looking PT! I'm building my dream board right now and I look at yours and want to quit lol

7. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

This looks like a great set up...wow....nice!

8. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

Thx buddy. It shame it comes around in such a pain. It would be long time finished if not delay in delivery of parts and effects.

Little update. I took some pedals out and tested how they sound in different order and how they complete each other. Hoof's in quarter of gain settings into EP into Fillmore light overdrive lifts the skin off the face. Love it

Attached Files:

Nick-O likes this.
  9. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Wow! Very cool board!

10. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

This is how it suppose to look like

Except the pedal between Hoof And Cali76 will be King Tone Octaland Mini and PoT will be a Vemuram Shanks.

The little switch under my wah is Vibe Machine tap tempo

Attached Files:

ajb1965 likes this.
  11. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

So a lot of things changed concept-wise since my last post. Mainly due to ever growing stash of amps I own (NAD next week). It seems like the pedalboard that I in the end forgot to post will go trough major changes, it already been exe'd and replaced with Novo24. Helix stays, as well as EP Booster and Cali76. Otherwise toys will be a bit different and all will be zipped with Boss ES-8 which I just took a delivery of. Update next week

12. funkysoul

funkysoul Strat-Talker

will looks like spaceship......board

13. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

May be a little but I give up on LED lighting. It's bit cheese. Still gonna be lit! Concept changed as previously I was plugging only in to a boogie Fillmore. Now I do 3 amp setup and new pedalboard will zip it all together.

14. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

Just a little update. This is whole day of work. Still lots to do

Attached Files:

ajb1965 and Bob the builder like this.