Pedalboard cabling

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by bbarott, Jun 21, 2021.

1. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

So getting ready to overhaul my pedalboard, hopefully last changeup for a while and thinking it may be time to consider a cable kit. Right now using a mix of short, off the shelf connecting cables but if there's a custom solution I ought to consider I'm all ears right now. Not being as much of a pedalboard junkie as I know some of you guys are I figured I'd ask. What's the right answer here? I'd like to do a pro job at this. Only figuring on six pedals right now.

circles likes this.
  2. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris Silver Member

i would position the pedals how youre going to have them when you secure them, then measure the distances to figure out the lengths youre going to need. sometimes its hard to find a perfect length so a cable kit is a good idea. remember they might need to be a bit longer than measured if you are going under the board.

Stillhouse and bbarott like this.
  3. CapCrunch

CapCrunch Strat-Talker

Namelyguitar and bbarott like this.
  4. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Strat-Talk Member

I cut and soldered all my pedal cables, otherwise a kit like George L's offerings would be the way I would've gone.

bbarott likes this.
  5. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

I like the flat patch cables. I have some of varying lengths ranging from about 4" to 18". They're very handy because they're very minimal and flexible for those spots where pedals have to be crammed together or where the output jack on one pedal doesn't line up nicely with input jack on the next.

Stillhouse and bbarott like this.
  6. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

i use george l's and evidence audio cable but i use soldered on ends instead of the expensive solderless ends.

bbarott likes this.
  7. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Strat-Talk Member

I used those pancake type right angle connectors on mine to maximize space.

StratUp likes this.
  8. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

I used the Free The Tone solderless kit and haven't had any issues thus far. Reasonably priced and an absolute cinch to assemble.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    bbarott likes this.
  9. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Probably gonna wind up going this route. I'm not afraid of soldering (not audio cable anyway), I just hate doing it. I am gonna look at some of those kits you guys mentioned though. Did I say I dislike soldering? ;)

10. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

though they were convenient at first, the solderless expensive plugs eventually gave me problems.

i have never had an issue since using soldered ends that cost less.

i also like the gls audio's version of the original pancake plug, it has holes in the tab to put the wire in making soldering WAY easier than on the similar switchcraft version.

rocknrollrich and bbarott like this.
  11. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Make sure you get the skinny, pedal-specific cable. It's thinner and bends at a tighter radius than the standard size instrument cable.

I've seen a lot of pros recommend soldered ends over solderless. I also just saw a great, vid from Vertex Effects about installing those flat plugs. I'll see if I can post the link.

Edit: here's that vid

All but one of my cables are soldered. The one that isn't came from D'addario. It's their circuit breaker cable and I use it from guitar to first pedal and just switch it from one guitar to the next. I had regular cables for each guitar so I didn't have to switch, but then I bought a noise suppressor and needed all the cables to run that correctly so now I just swap the quiet cable between guitars.

I even took apart a couple of Y-cables, bought new ends, and made multiple cables out of a single Y once I didn't need the Y anymore. Those are now pedal cables because they're short and use the smaller size cable so they're flexible.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    bbarott likes this.
  12. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

One thing I have learned in my 14 years of experience using George L solder-less cabling is that the cables cannot reliably be reused at the same exact length. The angled slice in the cable created by the jack-screw has to be cut off, shortening the cable and possibly requiring a new length of cable to reach. Attempting to reinsert the jack-screw in a previously sliced cable results in about a 40% success rate. Fortunately for me, I bought a bunch of extra cable when I bought the kit. I do reuse cables but I cut them shorter first so I now have a ziplock bag of various length cable pieces, which I look through first before cutting a new length out of my spare roll. It's not a big hardship but it's something to be aware of if you're troubleshooting a new pedalboard configuration.

bbarott likes this.
  13. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

George L’s, zip ties and stick on tie downs. Neat and clean.

AD32B744-B28A-4E97-B31A-92568EFCAAC4.jpeg

79CDB1CA-C9F0-4A76-B0FC-6D800F4ECC2A.jpeg

Namelyguitar and Roca81 like this.