Pedals as a crutch

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by spellcaster, Jul 22, 2020.

1. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-O-Master

9 pages.... Someone please put this thread out of it's misery. o_O

Deafsoundguy and Chuck8436 like this.
  2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

and here you are, posting on it, and keeping it alive!! 10 pages, thanks to your post!
    :D

3. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

I had decided not to post in this forum again, but this thread really amused me, so here’s the swan song.

The OP is ignoring a whole palette of factors. Clean sound? Ok:

Where? If you are recording in a studio, that’s ok.

If you’re playing at a noisy or wide open place, you NEED some extra gain even for your clean tone. Otherwise you will sound thin and weak. The crunch adds the beef you need to be heard in the mix, especially if we’re talking classic rock. So overdrive is indeed a need, not a crutch.

Edit: Hell, I hadn’t read the entire ****storm of BS that came down along the thread... nevermind my reply.

nickmsmith likes this.
  4. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-O-Master

I love Keith Richards, but i love Hendrix more...what does that mean?..I have no idea..this whole argument is silly...we're talking about art here guys...there is no right or wrong way to do it. If it sounds good clean, it's good...if it sounds good with pedals...it's also good. :)

Deafsoundguy, ajb1965 and PPP110AC like this.
  5. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-O-Master

Doh! :confused:...There, I did it again! :mad:...:D

nickmsmith likes this.
  6. PPP110AC

PPP110AC New Member!

I, as many musicians, play from pure clean up to heavily effected guitar. Don’t consider them a “crutch” at all. I appreciate players use of what ever they choose to produce their sound for a particular offering. I don’t take offense with your opinion but maybe you should try being a little more open minded to others’ choices. Calling someone’ playing “inadequate” is a little much
    Rock on

Hydr0 and duzie like this.
  7. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master

The Beatles weren't known for using a lot of guitar effects early in their career. They did o.k..

Hydr0 likes this.
  8. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

OP hasn't been online since the day he started this thread lol. He's felt the heat :D

9. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-O-Master

they did pretty well in the second-half of their career too and used plenty of studio effects to get the sound they wanted...i think even a pedal to two, so...

beatles_fx4.jpg

Deafsoundguy, ajb1965 and jtoomuch like this.
  10. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master

Yup, that's why I qualified it. Point being there was much great music out of that earlier period. I never found myself thinking any of it would be better with more electronic effects.

Hydr0 likes this.
  11. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-O-Master

i'm with you man

jtoomuch likes this.
  12. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning Strat-Talk Member

No we don't! Actually once you can play a bit pedals tend to get in the way. All you really need is a distortion or overdrive if you don't own a valve amp. If you have valves, job done. Some delay - analogue- because records have it on them so the customers are used to it. But if you have a valve reverb on the amp - probably not. Maybe something like an Xotic RC preamp - just to spark stuff up a bit - but that's not what I call a pedal - its a preamp. And we're done. There's nothing else you really need. I earn money playing and that's all I use - but I am old school - I started playing for money in 1962 so I didn't grow up with anything but valve amps and no pedals.

bbarott likes this.
  13. nathdaniel

nathdaniel Strat-Talk Member

Sounds to me like the problem isn't the use of pedals, but the misuse of them.

Deafsoundguy and Hydr0 like this.
  14. nathdaniel

nathdaniel Strat-Talk Member

Haha! There's a whole swarm of us who have absolutely no interest in sounding like the Rolling Stones. I couldn't care less what Keef thinks.

ajb1965 and Seamus OReally like this.
  15. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

When someone asks me who I think were the greats of the 60's Keith Richards just doesn't come to mind. Blasphemous, I know.....

nathdaniel likes this.
  16. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

It could be argued that using an ELECTRIC guitar is a crutch...

ajb1965 likes this.
  17. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Crutch, no. Palate of sounds or like ingredients when cooking yes. Everyone has different tastes.

Anacharsis likes this.
  18. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

I get it. I had to stop using a lot of pedals to be able to add them back in tastefully. Earlier on, my tone was too compressed and nasally, no dynamics. I’d stack overdrives, use a compressor, too much delay, etc. I just didn’t know how to dial in a good tone.

I gigged a couple of years using just the amp and maybe a boost, and then I got a Marshall in a box pedal and started using pedals again. Now I have one OD at a time mostly, adding a boost or fuzz sparingly. I use a light, nearly imperceptible slapback delay. I have a vibe and a wah. That’s it. I use a LOT less gain now. Still sounds heavy, but more AC/DC than saturated 80s metal tones, even for 80s metal tones. Dynamics are such I can go dead clean to pretty heavy crunch just with pick attack. And since the dirt is from the pedals, I can get consistently excellent tone at very low stage volume, which sound guys love.

My tone has never been better. One thing that helped a lot was recording. If it sounds like crap with an SM57 at the edge of the dust cap, that’s because it sounds like crap. As the recording engineer for our album once said (pointing at an absurdly expensive microphone) — “that ************ don’t lie.”

19. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talk Member

Strat talk as a crutch

Chuck8436 likes this.
  20. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

Of course there is probably a really good chance your recording engineer also added some compression to your guitar track, EQ’d it a little and might have even tweaked the reverb on the track while getting it to sit in the mix as he wanted. If it ran through a console, that changes the tone slightly as well.

Your point is well taken, however. Recording your tone and hearing yourself is one of the best ways to honestly discover what you truly sound like. People often use too much overdrive while recording, often less sounds better in a mix.

I will go back to Gilmour, however. Gilmour’s tone can not be achieved without the use of effects on many of his classic tracks.

Deafsoundguy and David Garner like this.