Pedals as a crutch

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by spellcaster, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Both Helix and Boss are great They Sound Different But Both have Great Tone Its really the User who can Tweak and Dial in the tone that Makes the Difference, Not really the Processors themselves
    Watch any Comparison between the 2 and they Both Sound Great, Different? yes But who is to say which Sounds Better ?
    What we hear On You tube is well just a guideline really, What Im Hearing On My Speaker set up and My room acoustic will Certainly sound different than the Other Persons Set up
    Also The People Demonstrating these Units a really Good Players so Yeah Technique is another Big Tone factor

So Really Comes Down to What is easier to Use and what Features You require From One OR the Other

Stone

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    duzie, circles and nickmsmith like this.
  2. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I use pedals as a crutch.

I like looking down and seeing what's on and what its set to rather than wondering what's going on inside my Katana and having to hook it up to a puter to change something

Stratoskater, Stonetone and circles like this.
  3. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

wait a minute...

You can't used a pedal as a crutch... it'd be too tiny... unless of course you're only 5-6 inches tall. But then it would probably smell like armpit.

[​IMG]

Steven1145, duzie, Stonetone and 2 others like this.
  4. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talk Member

I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm not so sure its that much of a crutch. And not because overdrive is just another noise, I actually think delay and reverb are probably more of a crutch. Usually when you are playing into an overdriven amp, you are playing really loudly. That actually amplifies your mistakes, it doesn't cover them up. And even if you are playing an overdriven sound at a lower level at the most it helps your sustain. People can still hear if you are playing off-beat or the wrong notes.

5. rotsap

rotsap Strat-Talk Member

==============================

"... needs to be said" ?? ...

Well, I don't agree. I don't think what you've said "needed" to be said at all. But, you make one good point for sure, over-playing / over-use of effects surely does change the sound, and in some folks' tastes, ruins the overall product. So, hey, thanks for sharing your opinion on this.

Also, no worries for my behalf- I'm sure, as a fellow player, I will still, and always consider us "friends" via our common love, that of the guitar. But, c'mon now, you don't like it, so what? That's you! And I respect that you don't like it. It's your opinion, and it's just that, I don't need to mimic you. If I did everything you do the way you do it, one of us wouldn't be necessary. Right? That kind of thinking puts "limits" onto the great diversities and complexities that have given us so many celebrated sounds. If we didn't continue to push the boundaries we may never have unearthed much of what we enjoy. Unrelated, but to make my point, what each of us does to,.. let's say, the "pentatonic scale" for example. I mean, five little old notes? And how many MILLIONS of ways can those be played?

However, since you put it out there and invited our opinions, I'd also like to offer mine. Why does it have to be a crutch? Can't it just be that we love the sounds we can make with our effects? Ever striving in our efforts to achieve sounds we like. It does NOT necessitate that we need a "crutch". I also, LOVE-LOVE my tones when running my teles, and strats, all of them, straight into my amps. I get so many nuanced, glorious, tones via no pedals too. And I play like that often. I love the effects through them and enjoy my Princeton 65 Re-Issue, my HotRod Deluxe, III, love my Mesa-Boogie, love my '83 Peavey Bandit, and my Peavey Deuce, that overpowered hundred watts of 6L6s. I've loved a great many "ladies" all my girls, my US Tele Elite, my US Strat Deluxe, my Am Pro, and more! So many more!

And all these babies sound divine plugged straight in. However, they also sound just as divine via effects. It's just, a sort of, ... yeah, an EXPANDED divinity! ;) Why you got to be all "it's a crutch", on me. Don't hate bro!

How about perhaps that is how you feel when you try to use pedals? As for me, no "crutch" mentality at all, but rather an associated skill to be mastered alongside my guitar tone, just like the audio mixer pots help me dial in sounds I love, so do the pedals I assemble, and the effects boards I build.

In fact, It has taken me years to develop my ear to discern the subtle nuances of tones in overdrives, compressors, modulation pedals, boosts, etc. And, like spices, I use the various options (like literally, unlimited options it brings me actually) carefully. Just like the leads I play. I try not to overplay too. Using pedals makes me love playing more because this whole augmented world is open to me. I kinda am a wee bit insulted that you might call what I do a "crutch". But, hey, I won't take it too personally, tone, like flavors, appeal to different people, from taste to taste, so maybe you could just give a try to thinking about it through the lens of my comments today.

Blessings,
    Paul.

Stonetone likes this.
  6. rotsap

rotsap Strat-Talk Member

=====================

Okay just going to leave this here, and defy you to say Hendrix used too much distortion. Was he one of those guys I hear you describing above, to you? Curious to hear if you think so...

Jimi Hendrix Live at the Newport Festival 22 June 1969

Stonetone likes this.
  7. houseman x

houseman x New Member!

first - if you might "lose friends" over your annoyance with over-used overdrive pedals, get new friends who can have a conversation unless youre giving an obnoxious speech on the matter. Remember....look at the band first and judge. Is this a kids' band - just starting -? then pedals are expected just by definition and by sheer fact of marketing of a new overdrive pedal being made available every 15 seconds. Is it a band with guys who have been around and their guitar player has no talent and the rest of the band is amazing? that's a different frustration to watch and we've all watched it. The variations of room size - volume problems - reverb - fuzz - guys behind the board - guitar players themselves - ALL contribute to disappointing scenarios at least half the time you ever see a band. What separates the gifted and the experienced and the guitar gods is their "choices" and careful consideration of the entire band they're in and the "whole" sound and how their equipment and experience with that equipment factor in. I think the main experience often over-looked is simply playing something with humbuckers through a tube amp in order to understand guitar equipment and tone. The issue is many people with Strats bought one because of the guitar's reputation but who don't really like the sound of their instrument and so - want to dirty it up when in fact they've never really put one through a 68 Deluxe reverb with a jensen in it on 10 to learn what a Strat is....(or whatever example)....Too many overdrive pedals "out there" is pretty true. So it's almost like some guitar players think they "have to" have one.

8. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Strat-Talk Member

A year or so ago I was at a music store and saw a nice Ibanez jazz box, picked it up and started playing clean straight thru the amp. There was a guy nearby who was doing some nice shredding with heavy distortion. The guy stopped and started listening to a Metheny song I was playing (Bright Size Life I think). A few minutes later he messes with the amp and starts playing with a clean sound. He started shredding but without the heavy distortion it sounded sloppy. He realized he couldn't do it with a clean sound. I came to the same realization about my own playing with and without distortion years ago and worked on my technique playing clean.

I have no beef with pedals, in fact I wish I had my delay and parametric EQ that I sold. But @spellcaster is right in that distortion is a special case. It's easy to get a tone that sounds really good to yourself but also covers up sloppy technique. The test is if you can play equally well with or without. If you can then you are not who I'm talking about.

circles likes this.
  9. roneysam

roneysam Strat-Talk Member

Hmm... Did it ever occur to you that people play what they enjoy playing in the way that they enjoy doing so without regard for what some elitist wanna be know it all, who props his ego by *****ing in forums about what & how other folks ought to play, might think to be the perfunctory duty of all guitarists to play the way "that guy" thinks is proper? If you don't like the way some guitarists play, don't play with them. No need to write a manifesto over it. Like the other guy said... "you do you". Let them do them. Nobody is impressed with egotistical ranting.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    duzie likes this.
  10. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Pedals are NOT a crutch they are a tool to be used to craft for whatever tone your seeking, Be It A single Pedal OR Multiple Pedals, as to the OP stating it "Needs to Be said" ?? Really? I mean Look, there are many Styles OF Music and Many More styles of Players Here In the Forum, For whatever reason One Chooses to Play clean straight Into an amp or through Pedals OR Modelling Processors that is the Individuals choices and We play what we want to play How we want to play, whatever one prefers is Not right or wrong its Not Using a Crutch at all its all what the Individual Player Chooses, and Does Using Overdrive OR Distortion Pedal Really Cover Up your sloppy Technique? I dont think so As a matter of fact its Less Forgiving and In the end If Im Playing sloppy its On me Not the Pedals, furthermore, Not many if few here Play Professionally so Nothing wrong with sloppiness its all On you and No One else is Listening except maybe the Annoyed wife :) so there is Nothing Whatsoever to Be said ......

Stone

duzie and nickmsmith like this.
  11. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Crutches everywhere.

Deafsoundguy and Stonetone like this.
  12. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth Strat-Talk Supporter

13. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

my playing took huge leaps forward when I stopped focusing on pedals. I just have an A/B/Y box to switch between clean and dirty amps, and a reverb pedal for the dirty amp which has none built in.

If I was in a band, I'd probably break out a wah and rotovibe.

One day I'll get an envelope filter a la Jerry Garcia.

WhiteWabbit likes this.
  14. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

IDK how that'd work, I'm just sure you'll cut yourself somehow. And probably dull the blade on the ground, as well.

As a total aside, we've had a whole bunch of threads about "crutch" lately, using the term as though there's something wrong with it. Using the term "crutch" as a pejorative is some able-ist BS. If somebody can't walk without a crutch and they can walk with one, then I think they ought to have one.

duzie, Stonetone and Chont like this.
  15. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

That's Michael Ian Black on the right! I got to see him do his standup routine and got to meet him, maybe 7-8 years ago. Haven't seen him in anything in a long time. He's a funny guy.

Chont likes this.
  16. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

I agree with that fact that a lot people use way too much distortion for classic rock and spend way too much time looking for that special pedal or whatever instead of just working on their chops.

Bladesg, Stonetone and BallisticSquid like this.
  17. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker

Live and let live.

I love my tone.

18. CThomas

CThomas Strat-Talk Member

There it is. Agreed.

Stonetone likes this.
  19. Chaplin

Chaplin New Member!

Picks are a crutch ~Knopfler

20. johntrem

johntrem Strat-Talker

Julian Lage plugs a Tele into a tweed Champ with a Strymon Flint for a touch of 'verb because Champs don't come with it. It's mesmerizing.