Pedals as a crutch

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by spellcaster, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

I’m surprised by the number of people that need to play clean to hear that they have sloppy technique or bad timing.

If you play sloppy, you still sound sloppy with overdrive and distortion. Maybe you don’t notice it, but the rest of the band does. Especially us Bass players. :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  2. Zuzu

Zuzu Strat-Talk Member

I completely agree with the OP.

When my wife and I downsized en route to retirement, I had to cut the guitar, amp and pedal collection way back. Nowadays I have a Telecaster Elite and a '68 DeLuxe Reverb. Every sound I need is in the guitar and amp. And there are loads and loads of sounds.

I have a small board with a tuner, a compressor and a slap back effect but I rarely use anything but the tuning pedal. Learning how to find different tones in a simple setup has made me a much better player.

3. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

So basically once that Fender Bassman is pushed hard, past “clean”, now it’s a crutch and shouldn’t be used. :thumb:

4. Stratasaur

Stratasaur New Member!

I'm with you. I play around with instrument vs amp volume and tone and get all kinds of different variations.

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

ALERT:

OP quit the forum a week ago. 4 pages ago. Arguing with him is like arguing with a brick wall, at this point.

:D

Hydr0, Steven1145, mjea80 and 3 others like this.
  6. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Segovia would agree.

7. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-O-Master

Yeah I feel sorry for that guy honestly. I mean I’d bet if he had known the insane tangents his post would create he would rather have pee’d on an electric fence :eek:

The poor guy has asked lots of good questions in the past that a few us us were happy to help him with.

Have to admit some of the offshoot posts have been pretty funny. I hope he can laugh with us and not feel worse. These threads should be about questions, answers and general fun. Anyone can word something that offends others and doesn’t sometimes realize it. Anymore I really try and reread things a little better. Sometimes I bite my tongue on some of those really harsh posts that are undeserved....

How did that one song go? “Smile on your brother, everybody get together, gotta love one another right now”.... whoever sang that song... yeah that’s the ticket.

nickmsmith, Chont and BallisticSquid like this.
  8. GlockandRoll

GlockandRoll New Member!

I'm shocked to see a piece-of-poo topic such as this have so many take the bait and respond.
    Shame on the lot of you.
    :p

nickmsmith and Stonetone like this.
  9. Evertremble

Evertremble New Member!

10. Evertremble

Evertremble New Member!

de gustibus non est disputandum. there's no accounting for taste. In subjective matters of taste, people have wildly different opinions

11. drp146

drp146 New Member!

I have seen players and been in bands with players who used distortion on everything and over used it. So in regards to that, I completely agree. I think you're pretty much referring to that, players who use it on everything, even when it's not needed or wanted?

BallisticSquid likes this.
  12. meat cheese meat

meat cheese meat Strat-Talk Member

I could never use pedals as a crutch. I'm like 5'8".

13. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

If you are playing in time and the parts the song calls for and not playing when you shouldn’t be you should be fine.....clean or distorted, pedals or not.
    I find it easier to play at the correct volume for the situation sometimes when I use pedals.
    If you sound sloppy chances are you aren’t really all locking in time wise.
    Playing to a metronome is the best thing you can do......the first thing you should do.....I wouldn’t worry about your sound much until you have mastered time.
    First everyone needs to learn to play to one then the band needs to learn to play together to one.
    If you do that and you really practice it you will be amazed at how things come together......if you don’t see a marked improvement you haven’t mastered it yet.

14. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

Pedals cover up alot of ppl mistakes it's harder to play perfectly clean cause everything is exposed in the mix.

15. Belltonenblues84

But i will say i think it's just something most ppl are told to do is once they but a guitar to go buy a bunch of pedals and they either keep em or as they mature n develop they'll do like me and sell all their pedals because for many it's a crutch. I feel like pedals should be used to accent certain melodies and moods. So they should be used to play chords mostly. But you got to ghost center n most of the guys there do nothing but solo n shred to pedals lol

16. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That day came a lot sooner than I thought

1970's MXR envelope filter on it's way to my house, and I am as giddy as a schoolgirl

bloomz and Steven1145 like this.
  17. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

My experience was just about the opposite of this; I played without pedals for about 30 years and didn’t own a single pedal, not even a pedal tuner. For 30 years my signal was guitar...cord....tube amp, nothing else.

It wasn’t until about 10 years ago that I started playing through computer sims and started to dabble with the pedals in the sims; that I awoke to pedals. Once you can see how the tones were generated by many of your guitar hero’s, it becomes, more clear what pedals they were using.

The fact is, there is no way to duplicate some of Gilmour’s tones, with out using a delay or a flanger, some compression, univibe, maybe some tape echo.

Even SRV stepped on a TS when needed.

The best overdrive tones still come from a dimed tube amp, but pedals can obtain tones close to that at lower volumes. Take it from someone who has experienced some hearing loss, pedal overdrive is a better solution for me than loosing more hearing because I have to dime the amp to get the OD.

Belltonenblues84 likes this.
  18. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Strat-Talker

Yup, they are a CRUTCH ..... with the ONLY exception that your must create a sound / tone that the guitar and/or amp you have cannot create it with natively - i.e. Chorus, Flanger, Compression, Fuzz, etc.

Don't agree? Take that up with Keith Richards, .... think he knows?

19. Belltonenblues84

Yeah i play pretty damn loud lol. My tweed bassman i put up to 6 or 7 no bedroom volume for me. It's crazy i feel like even with my TAD 6l6gc tubes i get more distortion digging than when i was using 5881 tung sols with a 12ay7 in valve 1. The tung sols are 12 watts lower than the TADs. Im getting hairy notes PLAYING STRATS on 6 or 7 whereas the tung sols were cleaner i guys it all depends on how hot you bias it lol

20. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Nobody mentioned this?

My first pedal, and only one back in the 60's was a Maestro Fuzz, and I overused it like crazy.

Now I need all the help I can get, and have quite a few.

I also tend to prefer heavily processed guitar sound anyway.