Performer series thoughts

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by horax, Jul 31, 2020.

1. horax

horax Strat-Talker

Thinking about a performer series strat. Appears to be similar to the older American specials.

however, would it be a better buy to get a used 2013 standard with fat 50’s?

not sure on all specs, but I prefer thicker necks with rolled edges....sure neither is that, thkugh.

how do the performers hold up?

StummerJoe likes this.
  2. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Strat-O-Master

They are an absolutely fine and sturdy guitar and a decent value if you can live with the fat headstock.

johnnymg and jtoomuch like this.
  3. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master

Standards are great guitars no doubt. The blue one in my avatar is a Performer. I am very pleased with it. Modern C neck in satin. The jumbo frets are nice and the fretwork was perfect right out of the box. One thing that I really like is the ability to use just the bridge and neck pups without the middle. Chords sound deep and full on the bottom and really ring out on the top. I like the Yosemite pickups very much as well. Lots of folks on here love the Standard with good reason, but I do love my Performer.

4. Gonflyn

Gonflyn Strat-Talker

Love the neck and jumbo frets, nice easy playable feel.

The yosemite pickups with the push/pull switch for the neck pickup provide a wider range of quackery than you can shake a stick at.

I like the bigger headstock personally but then again I wore bellbottoms in the 70's............

horax, JP68 and jtoomuch like this.
  5. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

What’s your budget?

6. horax

horax Strat-Talker

at MOST 1200.00.

I am also considering used. I bought a silver sky lately and love it, but want something different to match with it.

7. Stratafied

That’s a good budget. The performer is nice and the lake placid blue color is the best. On the other hand I just purchased an American standard 2011 in excellent condition , with the original hard shell case. Love it and under $900.

BlurgyWurgyWibble, jtoomuch and horax like this.
  8. Stratafied

2289E03D-AE9F-4A7C-84C7-E8A75B63833E.jpeg

Blackmore Fan and CB91710 like this.
  9. horax

horax Strat-Talker

this is what I’m in between: performer in blue or 2012-2013 candy cola Standard with fAt 50’s.

Stratafied likes this.
  10. Stratafied

Check out Blackbird vintage guitars online. That’s where I purchased mine.They have some beautiful Am standard Strats available.

horax likes this.
  11. Gonflyn

Gonflyn Strat-Talker

You can find something great for $1200, but try to play what you are considering first, might clear some things up.

(Says me who bought a Performer sight unseen). :whistling:

horax, CB91710 and Stratafied like this.
  12. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-Talker

This. Absolutely no chance I'm paying 1k+ for a 'budget' Fender. To be perfectly honest, there's no way I'm paying 1k+ for 3-4 pieces of cheap wood and a bolt on neck sprayed in a 1/4" of plastic. Ever. Not when there's a billion of them on the used market for half that.
    I love the brand but they have totally lost the plot on pricing in recent years. I wish I knew who was buying new Gibsons too. Apparently people are..

nickmsmith and Stratafied like this.
  13. Stratafied

I’m still 100% Fender. Gibson pricing is straight up ridiculous.

jtoomuch and BlurgyWurgyWibble like this.
  14. BlurgyWurgyWibble

It really is. I was looking at a mint 1977 Marshall Superbass MK II amp today. Just needs recapping. £1300 asking price.
    On the same page the guy was trying to sell his "blueberry burst" 2019 Les Paul Standard for £2800.
    Now, I know, I know.. but .. I can plug anything in to that Superbass and sound like every rock legend of the last 40 years. I can play clean, crunch, small bars or destroy arenas. No matter how good I get, it will always match and inspire me.

What makes a legendary vintage amplifer worth considerably less than something made last year that has practically *no* bearing on the sound we hear on all those great records?

Well I know why .. its because people don't buy guitars as musical instruments anymore. They are "lifestyle accessories" to hang on walls. Its not news, but it remains pretty insane (and a little depressing) to me anyway that music/tonality is no longer even a factor for most people.

Stratafied likes this.
  15. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

And if you can't live with the bigger headstock, go back another few years and get the original pre-2007 Highway One.
    American Special got the Texas Special pickups, Performer went to Yosemite and added the P-P pot to activate the neck pickup and a cosmetic tuner change. All are simple modifications.
    Body has remained unchanged... I don't know if the neck profile/frets were changed.

StummerJoe likes this.
  16. CB91710

American Special is thin nitro.
    Lester_Case.jpg

duzie, BlurgyWurgyWibble and horax like this.
  17. BlurgyWurgyWibble

Pfft nitro. Plastic by any other name smells just as sweet, I'm sure..
    Do you need me to PM you my shipping address, or will you get it from my probation officer? :D

18. chicago slim

chicago slim Strat-O-Master

I like the sound and playability of the Performer's. I have an American Special with the same neck. I also have a Player, with a loaded pickguard from a Performer. It is also a great guitar. I'm a fan of the Yosemite pickups and Grease Bucket Circuitry. You will find your clean sounds, with the volume rolled back.

What I'm not crazy about, is the satin finish. I have a PRS with a satin body and neck, and it feels more finished. The Performer just seems less complete. The neck doesn't age to a nice amber, due to the lack of finish. I have the same thing happening on my Special, only it has a gloss finish on the body. It really comes down to how you like the finish. Otherwise, I like it better than the Pro's.

19. horax

horax Strat-Talker

I just played one at the store. They gave me a lick that was so thin it was ridiculous. I play with heavy picks.

the guitar sounded brittle and weak. Is that normal, or is that the pick?

20. CB91710

My AmSpec is a thin nitro gloss Oly White. The neck is satin.
    Are the Performers all satin, or just some colors?

I hope they retained the same neck, and suspect they did (my AmSpec neck sticker says "Highway One")... I don't play the Strat as often as my Gibsons, but every time I pick it up I fall in love with the neck again.