Phase question

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by nickmsmith, Oct 4, 2020.

1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

I’m receiving a Nashville tele soon.. I really want the B+N position, so I’m going to swap the wiring on the switch of the neck and middle pickups, so I’ll get
    B- B/N- N- N/M- M on the 5 way switch.

will it be ok to swap them just as they are (color wire to switch, black to ground) or will I have to flip the wire on the neck pickup? First time I’ve tried this, usually I just physically swap the pickups in the pickguard... but with the tele neck pickup, that’s not possible.

thanks for the advice.

TLDR: if I put the neck pickup at position 3 on the switch, do I need to swap the lead wires to avoid phase issues?

2. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Keep the hots and grounds as they are.
    The middle is probably RWRP, simply flipping the wiring will put it out of phase if you don't also flip the magnet(s).

Your idea will work fine, however, in B-N, you won't get the humbucking effect that you would normally get in the B-M/M-N positions, so it may have a similar noise level to the current 1/3/5 positions... not a big deal.

nickmsmith likes this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Thanks a ton for the response!

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You may consider putting a p/p tone pot in there as long as you have to solder things anyway.
    Then you can have 7 way !

BLUE wire goes to the switch terminal with the neck pickup wire, that would be a white wire (if it is a 2015 or older Tex Mex Pups, Yellow wire 2016 & up Noiseless) coming from the hole going to the neck pickup, The terminal would also be next to the one that has a white wire going to the volume pot.

RED wire goes to the outer volume pot terminal. Not the one with the tone cap on it.

pull the knob up and the neck will be added to anything the sel. switch has engaged.

Very simple.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    nickmsmith likes this.