Pick guard too short!

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by donblack, May 18, 2020.

1. donblack

donblack New Member!

Hi folks. I'm normally a Les Paul kind of guy but have recently been dabbling in the dark arts after purchasing a new tele a month ago.

I've had a strat body laying around for a few years that i've finally got around to building. I purchased a replacement pick guard but the lowest screw hole underneath the lowest pot hole wont reach across the cavity enough to meet wood. When i compared the guard that came with the body and the replacement, it was obvious that the old one was slightly longer in the lower horn part of the guard.

Does anyone know what strats came with a larger cavity? I might try cleaning up the old one if i cant cant find one as getting one made in the uk seems expensive.

Any ideas?
    IMG_20200518_124832.jpg IMG_20200518_124848.jpg

11 hole, 3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  2. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

Dark arts? It’s one of the brightest on the market.

DannyHescock and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

If I totally missed the point, then shoot me.
    Why don’t you buy a new official Fender pickguard instead.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. donblack

donblack New Member!

Sorry if i wasn't clear. The replacement guard should measure the same size as a standard strat guard. No? I was presuming the old guard was larger than standard.

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. drex123

drex123 Strat-Talk Member

What specific model guitar body are you working with?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Who made the replacement guard that you bought?

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Look in the pay it forward section on the classified section. I have a 3ply parchment guard that I could send you. It came off my old rosewood Eric Johnson. I could send it you’re way if you give me your address via PM.

bluejazzoid likes this.
  8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oh it’s 8 hole

9. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-Talker

I reckon The guard on top is an old encore or sunn Mustang or similar. I had a very similar (although I think complete the reverse) problem recently. I had to make one

10. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-Talker

if you want to sell what I assume is the old one let me know, the one I made isn’t perfect.

11. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Very difficult
    to explain
    without mentioning
    politics
    Religion
    Nor
    Sex

myredstrat likes this.
  12. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the forum.!

Woah ! Hold on there just a minute.
    You've got it backwards,
    Normally around these parts the "dark side" refers to Gibsons and other humbucker equipped guitars.
    But you can take your own chances making new friends the best way you know how ... :rolleyes:

One of those is clearly not a Fender 'guard and doesn't match the normal template.
    All Fender and Fender compatible pickguards will match the standard outline.
    The only difference should be the number and locations of the screw hole patterns (8 or 11 holes, vintage or modern pattern).
    There's also the issue of the '50s vs '60s cavity shape.
    '60s and later modern cavities have a 'shoulder' to accept the screw below the switch.
    The lack of a cavity shoulder in '50s style bodies results in the issue you ask about - a hole in the 'guard with no wood to screw it into.

Using a non-standard shaped body and/or pickguard usually is a frustrating ball of wax.

Can you show the body routing ?

13. donblack

donblack New Member!

Sorry guys, the dark arts comment was an attempt at humour haha.

I cant even remember where the body came from but it is a full thickness 3 piece. The routing is not the nicest so i'm in no doubt that it is not a fender body.

I used wet and dry papers to clean up the old guard and finished off with plastic polish from a headlamp restoration kit. Its came out an even vintage white colour which i'm quite happy with.

15898887264228102187856713132682.jpg

15898887619746874613403654888080.jpg

Last pic to show how the replacement guard was just too short.

15898888166988545505049024216609.jpg

14. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Just remember...

[​IMG]

15. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

That looks great, and I'm glad it worked out for you!
    As you say, that is not a Fender Stratocaster body so finding a pickguard to fit is a bit of a roll of the dice for sure.

16. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Strat-O-Master

Yeah that's a non Fender body and thus a non Fender original guard.

It's use the original or find another from that manufacturer and model (seems it's not known) or have one custom made.

If you're happy with the original now I'd go with that... though I have to say myself I preferred it before the 'clean up'.

Anyway after all that ... hello and welcome. 'Dark Arts' indeed... really a perfect description of Rock n Roll.

17. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi donblack, the old pickguard is not Fender-patterned, and although it looks like a strat guard, the shape and screw hole locations is a little weird, most notably the bulging peak over the control cavity and the screw hole location under the bridge. Same with the body, it is an aftermarket unit that was not patterned after an actual strat, just made to look like one.
    If you don't have a neck yet, you might find similar issues with things not aligning when you get one.

If you want to go into strats you would be better off setting the odd-shaped body and guard aside and use the replacement guard, which seems to be of the correct pattern. If you don't have access to a strat body shoot me a PM, I have a box full of unused strat bodies and would be happy to send one over if you cover the shipping. I'd be glad to help ya cross over to the "dark side" haha.

It will be much easier to build and customize if you have standard sized parts.

wrvond likes this.
  18. donblack

donblack New Member!

Cheers for the help guys and the offer StratMike. Much appreciated. I'm swaying back and forth about what to do with this one. The neck pocket was too deep but has now been fixed and apart from that everything else seems to line up properly. The angle the guard sits at against the jack plate is bugging me now though so i'm leaning towards just getting another body.

What's everyones thoughts on these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114197756366