Pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Dead Head, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Dead Head

Dead Head New Member!

I have 2003 MIM strat and looking to upgrade the pick ups. I am looking to get that strat tone without breaking the bank. I see soo many cheap pick ups, but don't trust how they will sound. Is there any choice under $75.00 or do you have to spend alot. I'm not looking for the best, just trying to get better than what I have.Thanks

2. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-O-Master

GuitarMadness on ebay. Should be able to get a nice set of whatever you're looking for for less than $50

3. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Bootstrap p/u's. Insane prices for sets and good reviews. Made in USA.
    https://bootstrappickups.com/

uncle daddy and Believer7713 like this.
  4. hcski25

hcski25 Strat-Talker

I just posted in another thread and then saw this one. Tonight I ordered a set of the Bootstrap 54 Vintage Pros. I've heard nothing but good things, and for $53 shipped they seem like an amazing deal.

StummerJoe likes this.
  5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Before you start pickup swapping, what is it about your current set you don't like? If you don't identify that first you could wind up getting something you don't like just as much.

The_Whale, archetype and StummerJoe like this.
  6. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Fender Tex Mex pickups have the classic Strat tones, and a slightly hotter bridge. They're around $75 online all day long.

7. mahogany strat

mahogany strat Strat-Talk Member

I dont think its worth it to change to another set of pickups that are just a little bit better. its not money well spent. I have all the different fender noiseless pickups and you can buy a set used , and the the MIM strat becomes a guitar you can gig with. That is if you can gig . I have had 6 gigs in the last 8 months, and very lucky to have that. $150 on a used set of single coils.

The_Whale likes this.
  8. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

As far as noiseless pickups, there are options I like better than Fender's noiseless pickups (I think Kinman, Zexcoil, and Lace Holy Grails are good options, among others), but it all depends on what OP wants in a pickup.

9. mahogany strat

mahogany strat Strat-Talk Member

I agree any pickup but a higher quality

10. Dead Head

Dead Head New Member!

My current pick ups sound thin to me, they are original. I know they didn't put in good pick ups at the factory back then to save a little $. I get it. That is why I don't want to spend a lot of $. The Bootstrap pick ups look good. They are just what I want to spend, and probably better than what I have.

11. CFFF

CFFF Strat-Talker

I have a set of Bootstrap 54 Sparkle and I adore them. I do not think of them to be sounding thin but I can understand that other people might do in some cases. Bootstrap sell a good range of pickups. If you want fat you can contact them and ask for suggestions :)