Pickguard bubbling...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gcconspiracy, Mar 31, 2009.

1. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

This might sound silly, but I was playing my strat the other day, and noticed that the pickguard had lifted away from the body of the guitar. I know this is only cosmetic, but it has happened on the top side right after the neck (so I look at it everytime I play my strat now!). Anyways, anybody else get this? Anybody know a trick to cure it?

2. Lowdown

Lowdown Strat-Talker

Firstly.And this has caught others out too,have you taken the protective plastic wrap off?

3. gcconspiracy

yep, that came off the day I bought the guitar... it's the actual pickguard that seems to be lifting between two screws... I think if I shone a flashlight in there, I could see the pickup cavity!

4. Lowdown

Lowdown Strat-Talker

Aaah right.
    Sometimes they warp.Especially the cheap thin ones and single ply type.
    Try taking out the screws lifting up the guard and seeing if any wires,pup wires etc. have come loose from inside the cavity routs.If this happens they can work their way underneath the guard which can cause it to lift up and not sit flush.
    But sounds like it could've just warped.

5. Strat-Man-Do

Strat-Man-Do Senior Stratmaster

The PG isn't going to starighten out. I wouldn't drill any other holes, try another Fender pg thats made for that model. BTW thats something that happens now and again. I've seen brand new Strats and Teles with this issue.

6. Sprocket

Sprocket Senior Stratmaster

There are several things thatll cause this, like leaving your guitar in a hot car
    Tightening the screws to tight(alot of times you can see this from a distance better, makes the pickguard look stuffed).
    There have been times where I had to loosen the neck screws to get the pickguard to fit back properly and the holes to line up just right.
    Or you might have a wire pinched between the body and PG.

A good Fender 3 ply pickguard should fix you right up.

7. jgillard

jgillard Strat-O-Master

If it's the squire deluxe pickguard it is already a good 3-ply parchment guard.

8. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim Strat-O-Master

Look at this not as a problem but an opportunity. Now you get to buy a new pickguard. It is a fact of life that at times plastic will warp. Again this is a chance to really personalize your guitar.

9. Bruster

Bruster Strat-O-Master

This is common. What pick guard is it? Single ply or laminated? This is very normal on the 50's single-ply guits. In fact, it's desirable on the 50-s style relics! What guitar is it on? Does it change the sound?...for me, that would be the answer!

10. stratagem

stratagem Strat-Talker

I've got a less than 1 year old American Special that has this problem. It's a multi-ply pickguard and all. I may have tightened my screws too tight...

It's not too noticeable and I've seen it on a lot of guitars so it doesn't bother me. I see a lot of people put picks there.

11. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Senior Stratmaster

One thing I've realized is that there IS a difference in pickguards, and you generally get what you pay for. I now only buy real Fender ones, as the others are often lumpy, poorly fitting, colors/textures off...etc. On ebay you can buy real Fender P/Gs for alot less than most local shops, and some guys will even ship for free.

12. gcconspiracy

Well, thanks for the help, I guess I'll just have to suck up my anal personality and live with it! BTW it's a parchment 3 ply guard on my Squier Deluxe.

13. Sleepy

Sleepy Strat-O-Master

Just loosen the screws, then tighten them only until they sit to the top of the guard it will let it be a little flatter.
    I have one of the 50's single ply guards, they all buckle.
    No problem, so long as it doesn't get too out of hand.

14. jgillard

jgillard Strat-O-Master

My other squire single ply is buckled like this as well. I was thinking of replacing it but it is kind of growing on me now! :p