Join Strat-Talk Today

Pickguard for Pewter Stratocaster + other upgrades

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Lundebird, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Lundebird

Lundebird Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for helping me in identifying my strat earlier. It is a Fender Powerhouse Deluxe Stratocaster MIM 2002-2003. Now that I've bought it and inspected it there are some things to me done.

1. The pickguard is a rather ugly yellowish pearloid color, so I'll need to replace it. Other than a classy standard white (maybe 1-ply), what would be a good fit for a Pewter colored Strat? The color is almost a bit of olive green, but finding some nice color turns out to pretty difficult.

2. Other upgrades: this has been discussed far and wide, so I'm only asking for some basics here. Thinking about installing a new bone nut, maybe a new 5-way switch (any brands worth mentioning here?) as it is rusty and crooked, maybe new saddles (best type for improving sustain?) and lastly a tone capacitor. Please shout out if you have any special recommendations here, that doesn't cost the same as the guitar.

Pictures of identical guitar here: http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/f000425fenderpowerstrat.html

2. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd black it out. Black guard, black knobs, black pickup covers, black switch tip. It would show off how not black the pewter is.

jrbirdman likes this.
  3. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Strat-Talk Supporter

A good ol' Oak Grigsby switch may be in order. If you're looking for saddles for sustain, look for the modern steel block style rather than the bent steel vintage type. Just how much that will affect the sustain is up for discussion.

4. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-O-Master

I agree, the black would look sharp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.